• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Marching Band

DeacAssured

Reaction score
It is time for WF to put real money into this diminutive representation of Wake Forest. Need to do whatever is required to double the size by adding more students or borrowing talent from high schools or nearby colleges. The band is way too small for big time football.

I agree. It was not a priority or seemingly even much concern of our last AD.

I know our band members work hard and put a lot of time into their craft and for that I say well done, but I honestly doubt that increasing the size our our band makes much, if any, difference in our football team.

The band is a laughing stock. WF appears very concerned with Gameday experience as they should be. This is one glaring problem that we face as a small school. We need to recruit the hell out of this and give class credit. I asked about it on Reddit recently to a former band member. He said the way it’s set up currently will never succeed.

The band is a laughing stock. WF appears very concerned with Gameday experience as they should be. This is one glaring problem that we face as a small school. We need to recruit the hell out of this and give class credit. I asked about it on Reddit recently to a former band member. He said the way it’s set up currently will never succeed.

They get class credit.

I took a friend to the game who kids are all in Marching Band in Wake county. He was stunned at how small our band was.

I took a friend to the game who kids are all in Marching Band in Wake county. He was stunned at how small our band was.

Why does it surprise people that a small school has a small band? FTR, I'd love a bigger band. Wake's a small school with a very image conscious student body. Students don't like to do things that other students don't perceive as "cool." Add in the perception that band takes too much time away from academics and you have a band of 80-100 students (including Salem and FTCC students).

Referring to*. Not sure why I still can’t edit on my phone. Oh well.

Why does it surprise people . . . . Wake's a small school with a very image conscious student body. Students don't like . . . .

Good point. And the image projected to the world by the WF Marching Band (no reflection on its members who play tirelessly) does not reflect an image conscious WF unless the intent is to reflect poorly. The band situation has been overlooked by the PTB for far too long. Currently, it is a very bad look and reflects negatively on WF.

When I was in school many years ago the size of the band was pretty respectable and they sounded okay. What has happened?

They’re small but they’re not a joke or laughing stock.

My fiancée was in band at a pac 12 school and she usually has a lot of thoughts after seeing wakes band along the lines of why on earth do they do it that way. I’d never thought about this, but she pointed out that for a band wakes size they really need to push students into instruments that get more bang for their buck. So if we have a 50 person band we can’t have 10 people playing clarinet.

Any reason why we don't put the band *across* from the fans instead of nestled in our corner? I couldn't hear a single song we played, but Michigan State's band was loud and clear.

I complain about this every year, so I suppose there must be some actual reason for it.

We should make tenure track professors march and play brass.

When I was in school many years ago the size of the band was pretty respectable and they sounded okay. What has happened?

Wake used to have have about 100 instrument players in FB marching band. Info on the Pinstripe Bowl band said 67 of 70 were there. Wake has about 1/3 more students overall, but the band shrank by 30%. This goes with the decreased support for athletics by the general student body.

Back