• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Great win for the Deacs. Rubin and Bogaerts are such a good 1-2 combo. Nice win from Kan as well. His last game went to deuce about 10 times.

2 doubles for wake was down 5-2 and came back to win, and obviously the doubles point was big as Wake eventually won the entire match 4-3.

I was surprised Wake lost at 1 doubles. They had a 13 match win streak going in. Carolina had some very questionable calls in that match, including match point when they claimed the ball his Mansouri and the ump sided with them. I guess if UNC is going to cheat in the classroom it makes sense that they'll cheat in sports too.

In singles Ho was up 6-4, 4-1 and eventually lost in 3 sets, and Mansouri was up 6-4, 5-2 and also lost in 3. He had at least 4 match points. Those guys need to close those matches out.

Wake plays on the road at BC and ND to finish the season. Hopefully Wake will end up top 16 and host two matches in the ncaas.

We're gonna end up top 16, not even a worry at this point. Actually the team is playing 2-25 Citadel right now in a double header. All the backups are getting match experience.

ND and BC should be straightforward wins

WF Tennis 2015 (#16 UNC at #13 Wake, Sunday at 2 PM)

BC will be. ND is pretty good, and Monagahn is a very good #1. Then the ACC tourney starts...

Putting Bogaerts at 6 against Citadel was cruel for the opposition (I have no idea of the protocol/circumstances there, just saw the tweet)

I believe the thought process there is that Wake wanted him to play, and no matter where he plays against them he's going to win easily. So, to get some slightly tougher matches for the other Wake players they put Bogaerts at 6.

I believe the thought process there is that Wake wanted him to play, and no matter where he plays against them he's going to win easily. So, to get some slightly tougher matches for the other Wake players they put Bogaerts at 6.

I would have to think Bresky asked Citadel's coach before playing Bog at 6. Otherwise a move like that could destroy that series (which has been played since Bresky got to Wake)

Definitely a move done with the agreement of the other coach. Bresky likes to put his fringe guys at the top of the lineup against weak teams to try to get them somewhat competitive matches.

In reality, these doubleheader matches against weak teams are only played to ensue that the team is above .500 and therefore eligible for the NCAA Tournament. Obviously that's not a concern right now, but coaches like to be safe when they are making the schedule. Because NCAA rules only limit the number of days you can play on, not the number of matches, doubleheaders are the way to do this. Some teams take it to the absurd, Alabama I think played a quadruple header, singles only, against like Jackson State earlier in the year.

Any chance we can get a top 3 finish to avoid VA before the finals?

There's a chance, but not a great one. It would take Duke losing on the road at either Louisville (slightly possible) or Georgia Tech (not happening).

That NC State loss really hurt us in this regard

There's a chance, but not a great one. It would take Duke losing on the road at either Louisville (slightly possible) or Georgia Tech (not happening).

That NC State loss really hurt us in this regard

Or if VT loses at FSU (slightly possible). Of course all this assumes Wake doesn't lose at ND.

In order for us to avoid a 4/5 finish, or worse, we need to win out vs. BC and ND, both matches we'll be favored in, AND we need either Duke or VTech to stumble. Duke is on the road twice, but should have no problem vs. Louisville or GTech. We'll finish tied with them but they won head to head. If VTech loses at FSU, which isn't likely, but may be the most likely option for us, that would force a 3-way tie at 2nd. Each team is 1-1 vs. the other two, so I believe it would go to record vs. the top teams on down, which Wake would win by virtue of beating FSU and/or UNC, assuming FSU beats VTech, whoever finishes higher. It's not likely, so gear up for UVA in the semis and hope UNC doesn't get the 5 seed. The roadmap to beating UVA would be to win the dubs point, get 1 and 2 singles, and then hope for 5 or 6.

New rankings came out today. Wake men are #12, Bogaerts is #10, Rubin #17, Ho #83. Mansouri and Seraphim are #10 as a doubles team.

For the first time this year the women had a singles player and doubles team ranked. Guerin is ranked #123 in singles, and Guerin and Gardiner are #76 as a team.

Anybody know what kind of game Quentin Monaghan of Notre Dame has (other than being really good) and how he matches up with Rubin? We're going to need a good showing from everyone to beat a good ND team on the road but that #1 singles battle is pretty intriguing.

Wake is at ND right now and lost the doubles point. The Rubin v. Monaghan match-up should be a really good one, and I think overall the match will end up very close.

The Deacs look to be in pretty good shape.

Monaghan is one of those guys who can be a very good college player (like Stiefelmeyer), but can't quite compete with the elite college guys with pro potential (Schnur, Alvarez, etc.)

The Deacs look to be in pretty good shape.

Monaghan is one of those guys who can be a very good college player (like Stiefelmeyer), but can't quite compete with the elite college guys with pro potential (Schnur, Alvarez, etc.)

Actually, I have to take this back because looking at the results he beat both Schnur and Alvarez in the last week! He must have improved a lot since I saw him last year

Back