• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Rafi, do you think Rubin is the frontrunner for ACC POY? Or does the matches he missed due to injury make that unlikely?

Yes, I think he's the favorite for the POY. Nicholas Alvarez at Duke has been very good and is the only ACC player to beat Rubin, but he also has 5 ACC loses. Quentin Monaghan at ND and Andreas Bjerrehus at VT have also been very good, but Rubin has been better.

Yes, I think he's the favorite for the POY. Nicholas Alvarez at Duke has been very good and is the only ACC player to beat Rubin, but he also has 5 ACC loses. Quentin Monaghan at ND and Andreas Bjerrehus at VT have also been very good, but Rubin has been better.

I would put Mitchell Frank at UVA in the mix too.

I would put Mitchell Frank at UVA in the mix too.

Yep, he's had a good year too. I think he has 3 ACC losses. Colin Altamirano at UVA also has a really good dual match record (16-2, I think).

I think Mitchell Frank is probably the POY favorite mainly because he is a senior on the best team and has been a top 5 player in college tennis all four years. Rubin should be a lock for ROY though

Who selects the POY and what is it based on? If it's after the ACC tourney then there is a lot of good matches still to be played this weekend (the winner of a possible Rubin-Stiefelmayer rematch might do it for me). If it's only for the ACC regular season just concluded, then Rubin has to be the odds on favorite. He played all year at #1 and beat Stiefelmeyer, Monaghan, and Schnur with only one ACC loss (to Alvarez). Frank sounds like a great player but from what I see he only played part of the year at #1, his only big ACC win was over Alvarez (didn't play against the guys mentioned above), and he lost last weekend to Locke of FSU. Currently he is ranked #21 in the country and don't see why he gets points for previous years or playing on the top team. For all I know he's the best player but it doesn't look like he had the best ACC regular season on paper. The on-court results seem pretty clear. But of course if politics is involved ...well, maybe I just answered my own question.

Not that it should matter for ACC POY, but Rubin beat Frank 6-1, 6-2 in a pro tourney this past fall.

The coaches pick the ACC POY and voting is conducted after the ACC tournament

Back