• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU academic standards? Too tough to be competitive?

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
What are WFU's academic requirements for athletes, eg, class rank, SAT? How many exceptions do we have for football and basketball ? How do our requirements compare to other ACC schools? With Duke, GT, UVA, and BC in particular ?

I know we don't accept transfers that wouldn't have qualified out of high school. I know that, aside from maybe one physics class, there are no "athlete" classes. Although they attend mandatory study hall, athletes are in all the same classes as every one else. I do not know what you mean by exceptions. Also, we don't even have class rank or SAT for regular admitted students.

Because I'm a dolt I had a summer class with all athletes it was pretty fucking rowdy.

WFU academic standards? Too tough to be competitive?

Nonsense. On the other hand, our academic standards are useful as excuses for failure and non-accountability in the athletic department.

Last edited:
What are WFU's academic requirements for athletes, eg, class rank, SAT? How many exceptions do we have for football and basketball ? How do our requirements compare to other ACC schools? With Duke, GT, UVA, and BC in particular ?

I think the academic standards affect football more than basketball due to the sheer difference in quantity of players.

There is no way that Wake has an easy class for athletes where the subject matter is physics.

There is no way that Wake has an easy class for athletes where the subject matter is physics.

Nicknamed Football Physics. PHY 110 is really, really easy, especially if you have a mandatory study hall, it'd be hard to not get at least a B. The biggest obstacle is just remembering to pay enough attention to the class and the work that you don't just completely forget about it. Like I think it's impossible to fail.

It came about some years ago when the head of the physics department spoke with the treasurer about adding another faculty member. The treasurer told the professor that the department didn't have enough students taking physics classes to warrant spending the money on hiring another professor. So the department head created a new course aimed at athletes and non-math/science oriented students. So athletes. And this boosted the class size and student to professor ratio and the Physics department got another professor.

Nicknamed Football Physics. PHY 110 is really, really easy, especially if you have a mandatory study hall, it'd be hard to not get at least a B. The biggest obstacle is just remembering to pay enough attention to the class and the work that you don't just completely forget about it. Like I think it's impossible to fail.

It came about some years ago when the head of the physics department spoke with the treasurer about adding another faculty member. The treasurer told the professor that the department didn't have enough students taking physics classes to warrant spending the money on hiring another professor. So the department head created a new course aimed at athletes and non-math/science oriented students. So athletes. And this boosted the class size and student to professor ratio and the Physics department got another professor.

But didn't this undermine the culture of the physics department?

So the test are like what:

If Tanner throws a football with an initial velocity of 22 meters per second at an angle of 35 degrees and from a launch height of 2 meters and a wind resistance of .2 units, will the pass get intercepted?

Stanford? Notre Dame? Vanderbilt? Northwestern? We don't have to suck.

If I may offer a friendly amendment to your post, I'd add that Dick, UVA, GT, UNC, Cal, UCLA, Michigan and Wisconsin all wave hello as well.

If I may offer a friendly amendment to your post, I'd add that Dick, UVA, GT, UNC, Cal, UCLA, Michigan and Wisconsin all wave hello as well.

UNC? Did you miss all of the scandal? They were as dirty as anyone academically.

You really can't lump big public schools in with small private schools regarding the requirements of athletes. Even though UCLA, UNC (ugh), UVA and such are good schools, they are also big and big enough to bury a lot of the academically challenged/under-performing athletes (although probably not to the extent of bigger SEC schools). We really should be judged against the likes of Vandy, Duke, Northwestern etc... (Stanford is private, but an exception to the private school "rule" IMO). We certainly aren't too academic/small to be competitive but that being said, it will be difficult for us to be a top tier team year in and year out. We had a good run 3-4 year run when we were a good team (even if that team didn't always perform) and another scattered 4 years or so (during the Grobe era) where we were decent (a few teams that were good/unlucky and 5-7 to the teams that were 7-6 or so). I doubt Duke or Vandy maintain their level of success for long periods of time. I think they will be like us....the stars will align, they'll have some "exceptional" years, maybe even a few years in a row of exceptional teams, but for the most part they will struggle to be average and have more than their fair share of shit teams.

So the test are like what:

If Tanner throws a football with an initial velocity of 22 meters per second at an angle of 35 degrees and from a launch height of 2 meters and a wind resistance of .2 units, will the pass get intercepted?

Yes. I don't need to show my work.

Spoke to an official last night, 6-7 is the total number of athletic exemptions allowed for all athletics, in addition, if Coach Grobe wanted an exception he had to personally go before a faculty committee to explain why the exception was needed, I asked if someone from music needed to do this for an exceptional cellist to get them in and was told no. I know Caldwell had many more exceptions available but finally chose not to use them because most flunked out.

I took 110 back in the spring of '03. Thankfully that took care of my math/science divisional. The class was pretty simplistic, but I also learned a hell of a lot of practical information in it, having never taken a physics class previously.

Back