• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Dr and Faculty Member Killed in Bike Accident

WakeGal

Reaction score
Just saw this posted on the Charlotte Observer: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/08/2438499/doctor-killed-in-grandfather-mtn.html

A 35-year-old doctor and Wake Forest University faculty member was killed Friday morning when he crashed during a bicycle race that was part of the Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain.

Killed was Erik Lie-Nielsen, of Winston-Salem, according to the N.C. Highway Patrol.

Troopers say Lie-Nielsen was competing in the Grizzly Bike Race, a 65-mile event, and was on a downhill portion of the race, about seven miles into the course. According to troopers, Lie-Nielsen was riding about 40 mph on Spanish Oak Road in Avery Countywhen he lost control of his bicycle and veered into the lane of oncoming traffic, colliding with a Subaru.

He suffered serious head injuries and was taken to Watauga Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. A woman from Newland who was driving the Subaru was not injured.

A spokesman for the race told the Associated Press that about 130 riders were competing. The Highway Patrol says it does not expect to file charges in the case.

Lie-Nielsen was an assistant professor in the Wake Forest University School of Medicine. He earned his medical degree in 2002 from East Carolina University.

In his Facebook page, Lie-Nielsen listed cycling as one of his interests and called himself a "neophyte."

The Associated Press contributed

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...-killed-in-grandfather-mtn.html#ixzz1RYOpb33v

Thoughts and prayers to everyone that knew him.

That's very sad.

Asking because I don't know anything about it:

Is it common for bicycle races to be held on roads that have car traffic?

That's very sad.

My first thought as well....

Seems VERY risky to have bikers riding 40mph downhill next to oncoming traffic...

That's very sad.

I think it depends. I go to a few races each year, several are completely blocked off. I think there is one that is not and its a major road course of sorts. The ones that are flat and lots of curves, they tend to block the streets completely off and just have a pace car.

On that note, if you haven't been to a bike race, you really should go! They are a blast to watch. Depending on which circuit you are watching, Dr. Grant McAllister races and places very well!

My first thought as well....

Seems VERY risky to have bikers riding 40mph downhill next to oncoming traffic...

yes, it's pretty common. lots of times races/charity rides/etc can't get the license to close the entire road, so they have volunteers to stop traffic when cyclists are coming, or two lanes of a 4 lane road will be cyclists, and the other two lanes are split to carry the traffic.
it's not ideal (clearly), but just what it is.

Back