• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Football Competes for 1st Transitive National Championship?

1985 DEAC

Reaction score
I wonder if one of our WFU sports history folks can confirm whether the Buckeyes inclusion in the final 4 means that WFU football may be in line for our first ever transitive national championship by virtue of our powerful win over the Hokies. I know we have won at least 2 direct transitive national championships in basketball with wins over the Goats. I suspect we have won several others in basketball and soccer as once or twice removed transitive powers. Of course, 2 wins for TheOSU would give us a once removed transitive championship but still something we can all take a lot of pride in. Anyone already researched this?

Transitive means we would need to actually defeat our Delaware State friends.:D

How does this transitive property work when Wake directly defeats the Nat champion? There were multiple years in which Duke won nat titles in men's BB where they lost at least once to Wake during the reg season.

How does this transitive property work when Wake directly defeats the Nat champion? There were multiple years in which Duke won nat titles in men's BB where they lost at least once to Wake during the reg season.

So like the wins over the Goats, these are the most prestigious transitive national championships. 2008 in football is a "Once Removed" Transitive Championship which is still incredibly satisfying but not on the level of the direct transitive championships like basketball over Goats and Devils.

Also covered if Bama wins:

Wake > VT > Ohio St > Indiana > Missouri > Texas A&M > Auburn > Ole Miss > Alabama

06 WFU>FSU>UCLA>USC>Arkansas>Auburn>Florida

Chris, we've already established the 2006 Deacs were clearly the best team in the country. Or in the history of football

No, just better than Duke this year and last. :)

Also covered if Oregon wins this year:

Wake>VT>UNC>PITT>BC>USC>ARIZONA>OREGON

So we won 3 consecutive transitive nattys from 2006-08 though 2008 was only twice removed. We clearly have a lot to be proud of having won many more of these than I thought possible. The Alabama one this year would be an astounding 8 removed.

Back