• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread: +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Definitely saw his minutes and production cut way back from his freshman(?) to sophomore (?) year - must be something there

Definitely saw his minutes and production cut way back from his freshman(?) to sophomore (?) year - must be something there

Bundle of injuries + contracted covid. Supposedly has dropped 15-20 pounds already.

Why'd his minutes drop his sophomore year vs. his freshman year? 1.9 rebounds in 14.7 minutes a game for a 7-footer seems...not great.

But seems like he could have some value at some point. Solid get.

A glance at the season stats looks like he lost minutes to Ismael Massoud. So…

If Forbes wanted him, I trust there’s a good reason.

Bobi looks like he would be a great add as well.

Based on the group they assembled from the portal last year - I'm going to assume Forbes et al know what they're looking for until proven otherwise

From last fall:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article255863181.html

As his freshman season came to an end at Kansas State it became abundantly clear that Davion Bradford was well on his way to becoming the best true center that has played for the Wildcats under Bruce Weber. That hasn’t changed. But he is currently coming off the bench behind Kaosi Ezeagu and that is unlikely to change anytime soon, particularly not when K-State takes the court for its second game of the year against Omaha at 7 p.m. on Wednesday inside Bramlage Coliseum. “He’s not going to start,” Weber said. “Kaosi has done very well. He has outplayed him in a lot of the different segments throughout this early practice. But, as we’ve talked about, the starting lineup now may not be the same starting lineup we use in December or even January.” Bradford, a 7-footer from St. Louis, will try to work his back into the starting lineup as he regains his stamina following a bout with pneumonia. K-State coaches told Bradford to stay home for more than a week when they learned about his illness, and he didn’t have much time to practice before the Wildcats opened the season last week against Florida A&M.

That is a drastic change from the end of last season when Bradford began to emerge as a force in the paint. He scored 18 points against Baylor at the Big 12 Tournament and played a key role in late victories over Iowa State, Oklahoma and TCU. The Wildcats seemed to play their best basketball when they surrounded the big man with four guards. Bradford led the team with a school-record 32 dunks.

Based on the group they assembled from the portal last year - I'm going to assume Forbes et al know what they're looking for until proven otherwise

Yeah. This is different though. Every other transfer under Forbes was coming into their 5th or 6th year or had some All-Conference honors. This group is less accomplished and more of a work in progress.

Yeah. This is different though. Every other transfer under Forbes was coming into their 5th or 6th year or had some All-Conference honors. This group is less accomplished and more of a work in progress.

Appleby is a grad transfer who has put up big offensive numbers for 4 years.
Ituka was MAAC Freshman of the Year
Carr was on the CAA All-Tourney team (averaged 12 & 10) - His team went to the NCAAs
Bradford is… big. And he showed flashes as a frosh.

I get what you’re saying, but 3 of the 4 have multiple years of eligibility and the other guy gets buckets.

Last year’s crew definitely more experienced, but not sure they had racked up a ton of accolades (aside from LaRavia).

Yeah. Less accomplished and more of a work in progress. I'm not crapping on the class. I think last season's class would be hard to top.

Couple of dozen message boards posts? There were lots of people openly shitting on a teenager on Twitter and Wake Forest sports Facebook groups for a couple weeks. I feel bad for the kid. I have no idea if it affected him, but it was definitely more pervasive than negative comments on this board and it was definitely shitty.

Whitt was awful for a long time before the criticism ramped up. The vast majority here hoped for better for him for most of the season. This is ACC basketball. He had more turnovers than total points in ACC games; he made two three point shots from December 12th through March 23rd. He was torched on defense. When going over the games, it's going to get called out. If that's a problem, Carter shouldn't play on this level. WF fans are far less harsh on their own than most fans at this level.

Yeah, good lord. From his offer list posted earlier, go to Indiana, or NC State, or Florida and see how the vitriol is many multiples greater. We may have a lunatic fringe but it's a smaller percentage of our already small fanbase than most P6 schools (and many passionate mid-majors). Doesn't excuse the idiots who were publicly calling for him to transfer, etc.

I, along with many others, were hard on him in game threads, where I am a fairly shitty emotional poster. Probably some season threads too. Never started a callout thread or advocated for him to transfer.

How would you recommend passionate fans "discuss freely" the least efficient player in the entire conference who plays for our team? "Aww, that's OK Carter, you'll make more than 1 of your next 30 shots, keep your head up!" Hell, we had posters saying ManMan was the main problem and that we'll be better off next year without him.

Can't stop won't stop

Strickland33's use of Lost Era in the prior post prompted the question. When I asked myself the question I decided forget and move on was the answer.

Pretty sure CJ was a Dino recruit.

Appleby is a grad transfer who has put up big offensive numbers for 4 years.
Ituka was MAAC Freshman of the Year
Carr was on the CAA All-Tourney team (averaged 12 & 10) - His team went to the NCAAs
Bradford is… big. And he showed flashes as a frosh.

I get what you’re saying, but 3 of the 4 have multiple years of eligibility and the other guy gets buckets.

We signed 3 guys with 9 years of eligibility and least a year of college experience under their belts. It's impossible to predict who is going to take a jump like Alondes did, but this group is deceptively good haul for the staff. Also, everybody has the size to compete in the ACC.

You can grade last year's class on what they accomplished but not sure we knew that Laravia, Williams would have the impact they did going into the season. It seems to me Forbes has addressed the weak spots. We got a big who can shoot threes, a 7 footer and couple of guards that look like they can play and still not done. Coaching means alot. Not sure Laravia and Williams put up the numbers they did with alot of other coaches.

You can grade last year's class on what they accomplished but not sure we knew that Laravia, Williams would have the impact they did going into the season. It seems to me Forbes has addressed the weak spots. We got a big who can shoot threes, a 7 footer and couple of guards that look like they can play and still not done. Coaching means alot. Not sure Laravia and Williams put up the numbers they did with alot of other coaches.

Totally agree. Forbes is a great coach and obviously has an eye for talent.

I really hope we figure out how to get Bradford and Marsh on the court together.

Back