• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread: +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

I wonder who has reached out to Whitt.

When I see other big name schools with an interest in transfers, I just write that guy off. Maybe it's the LOWF in me, but we aren't at that level. The COY award helps, as does the extra attention, but an NCAA bid would've helped a lot more.

It is, but you can’t help it. We all are infected.

I hope to start feeling better about this, but I'm definitely worried about landing recruits. I just keep seeing recruits and transfers going anywhere but here. We need some news on landing someone... Shit far man, this sucks.. I want us to continue the run we just had sooooo bad.. Go Deacs

I wonder who has reached out to Whitt.

When I see other big name schools with an interest in transfers, I just write that guy off. Maybe it's the LOWF in me, but we aren't at that level. The COY award helps, as does the extra attention, but an NCAA bid would've helped a lot more.

yeah, this is where I am as well. When John Calipari is having a Zoom call with a transfer prospect, we're out.

We REALLY needed that win over BC (and then a win over Miami). (I recognize one NCAA field of 64 bid in 12 years would not get us to Kentucky's level)

Forbes has done a nice job injecting some life into the program, but as Earl Weaver used to say, Momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher, and it will be harder to land top talent this year than it was to get Jake and ManMan

Last edited:
I hope to start feeling better about this, but I'm definitely worried about landing recruits. I just keep seeing recruits and transfers going anywhere but here. We need some news on landing someone... Shit far man, this sucks.. I want us to continue the run we just had sooooo bad.. Go Deacs

If we've truly had a "run" in the last 10 years, I somehow missed it.

Harkless at OU hit the portal. Lots of experience but originally from the west coast so my guess is he goes back there somewhere.

So next year, what do we have honestly? Starting Monsanto, Hildreth, Marsh, Mccray?, Keller?

Some prospects there, but sounds rough tbh.

yeah, this is where I am as well. When John Calipari is having a Zoom call with a transfer prospect, we're out.

We REALLY needed that win over BC (and then a win over Miami). (I recognize one NCAA field of 64 bid in 12 years would not get us to Kentucky's level)

Forbes has done a nice job injecting some life into the program, but as Earl Weaver used to say, Momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher, and it will be harder to land top talent this year than it was to get Jake and ManMan

I don't see why it would be harder this year than last year? We have the massive improvement as a selling point, as well as the success and impact of last year's transfers.

So next year, what do we have honestly? Starting Monsanto, Hildreth, Marsh, Mccray?, Keller?

Some prospects there, but sounds rough tbh.

Basketball players have until May 1 to enter the portal and be eligible to play for a new school in fall 22. Let's hold the panic until then.

I don't see why it would be harder this year than last year? We have the massive improvement as a selling point, as well as the success and impact of last year's transfers.

we do have those selling points. we still crashed out of the ACCT (before anyone says that doesn't matter, Judah Mintz says he was interested in the ACCT) and landed in the NIT; we are behind Virginia Tech, to name one school, in on-court success.

I feel like Jake was an absolute steal last year. From his ISU highlight reel, he looked to me like a first-team all-ACC player (and he would be, if he stayed). And he came to us essentially with no competition due to a unique situation with his coach getting fired. And then Jake gave us immediate legitimacy for Dallas/ManMan/Khadim.

Similarly, Monsanto and Williamson were kids that Forbes successfully recruited previously and knew - there are no more of those players available.

Obviously my opinion, and I hope I am wrong, but to me it feels like we are starting over, and this time everyone else knows we are starting, too; therefore competition is higher.

Are we all pretty set on none of our guys coming back that have eligibility? I'm sure Jake isn't coming back. Would be surprised if Mucius or Davien did

we do have those selling points. we still crashed out of the ACCT (before anyone says that doesn't matter, Judah Mintz says he was interested in the ACCT) and landed in the NIT; we are behind Virginia Tech, to name one school, in on-court success.

I feel like Jake was an absolute steal last year. From his ISU highlight reel, he looked to me like a first-team all-ACC player (and he would be, if he stayed). And he came to us essentially with no competition due to a unique situation with his coach getting fired. And then Jake gave us immediate legitimacy for Dallas/ManMan/Khadim.

Similarly, Monsanto and Williamson were kids that Forbes successfully recruited previously and knew - there are no more of those players available.

Obviously my opinion, and I hope I am wrong, but to me it feels like we are starting over, and this time everyone else knows we are starting, too; therefore competition is higher.

Yep. What it comes down to is we likely only return two players from last year’s rotation. That means in order to be on par with last season, we need improvement from the returners and transfers better than the returners.

Are we all pretty set on none of our guys coming back that have eligibility? I'm sure Jake isn't coming back. Would be surprised if Mucius or Davien did

WF fans are the best at setting low expectations.

Forbes led WF basketball out of the rubble left behind by incompetent staffs, and he took the worst Power 6 team in 2020 (the worst by far in the ACC) to a top 40 team in 2021 team (top 5 in the ACC). Yet, so many here remain convinced that the program is headed back to irrelevance. Could not disagree more with that sentiment. Have full confidence in Forbes' ability to build the program. The staff knows the portal; WF is not settling to bring in numbers; all 5 transfers last year were brought value to last year's team (FWIW, on this date last year, LaRavia was WF's only transfer commit -- because Forbes and Matt Woodley were tight with the Indiana State Coach -- let's be patient); the same will happen this year. Also, WF could still add an international player as well.

I understand that the answer is "the portal," but the level of high school talent that we've brought in is still concerning.

The level and number. Four US HS recruits. One in the top 100 and he's transferring.

On the bright side, we're only losing one play to the transfer portal this offseason (so far). Although I think it was mutual, I wish Carter had stayed.

The level and number. Four US HS recruits. One in the top 100 and he's transferring.

So, what is your point? That HS recruiting rankings are inherently flawed if Whitt is considered a top 100 talent?

In Mike Young's first three recruiting classes at VT, he landed one top 100 US HS recruit. The #98 recruit from the HS class of 2020, Joe Bamisile, and Bamsile has already transferred twice (to GW and now to OU). Even so, VT was the 2022 ACC Champs.

Back