• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread: +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

I’m reading that thread and the clawsin guy sounds pretty measured and reasonable but everyone is flipping out at him like he is burning the program to the ground. Also, noticed Les gets super defensive anytime someone doesn’t take all his posts as gospel and bow down and thank him for his insider information.

Weird place.
I didn’t get that vibe until this week. Did I miss that before or did he just become as ass this week?

It's interesting how sometimes people get stressed by claiming there's nothing to be stressed about.

This gives some idea of what it is likely going to take to get the top portal transfers to come to your school. NIL has changed everything in less than 1 year.

It is not surprising but it is still disappointing that NIL is not really being used in the way it was envisioned.
The idea was to allow SA's to take advantage of opportunities with companies who wanted them to promote their products and services. Instead it has quickly become nothing more than a 'pay to play' plan - which is still a rules violation under NCAA regulations but the schools don't really want the NCAA trying to enforce that and given its track record in recent court cases the NCAA is not going to try.

This gives some idea of what it is likely going to take to get the top portal transfers to come to your school. NIL has changed everything in less than 1 year.

It is not surprising but it is still disappointing that NIL is not really being used in the way it was envisioned.
The idea was to allow SA's to take advantage of opportunities with companies who wanted them to promote their products and services. Instead it has quickly become nothing more than a 'pay to play' plan - which is still a rules violation under NCAA regulations but the schools don't really want the NCAA trying to enforce that and given its track record in recent court cases the NCAA is not going to try.

Like a lot of things - NIL was well intentioned. But it's a shit show. There was already a ton of concentration of the best players at a handful of schools in football and basketball. But this seems to make it worse

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - Jake/Zay/Daivien???; -Whitt/Walton

There was no intention. The courts forced the NCAA to allow NIL and the NCAA didn’t establish any parameters. They refused to lead and kept cashing checks.

NIL is going to further reduce the minimal parity left in major college sports. At least football thrives as a regional sport with fun rivalries, even if it’s the magnolia league. Not sure the same can be said for college basketball. The tournament is fun because so many teams have a legit shot. That will be less and less the case in basketball.

Got a nice surprise that LaRavia and Williams show up in this article from Spurs site Air Alamo.

8 Controversial Picks Only the Spurs Might Gamble On

https://airalamo.com/posts/8-controversial-draft-picks-only-san-antonio-spurs-might-gamble-on

They think the Spurs could take either at #25. The Jake writeup is particularly glowing.

Why the Spurs May Be Interested
To put it simply, Jake LaRavia is very good at a lot of things. He’s a decent athlete, shoots 38% from three and 78% from the free-throw line, averaged about 3.7 stocks (steals + blocks) per game, makes good reads on passes, and can find good shots with and without the ball in his hands.
There's a lot to love about a 6’9” wing that has such a well-rounded game, and he’ll likely be an immediate contributor wherever he lands. His overall versatility on both ends of the floor strikes me as something that Brian Wright will highly covet coming into draft night.

I don't think the toothpaste will ever go back in the tube re: NIL. The NCAA appears completely spineless regarding the entire matter. Not sure where this puts schools like Wake 5-10 years from now.

I don't think the toothpaste will ever go back in the tube re: NIL. The NCAA appears completely spineless regarding the entire matter. Not sure where this puts schools like Wake 5-10 years from now.

True, that. Whatever it means, it means that college sports will be meaningfully less interesting to those of us who have continued to prefer college sports to professional sports. Might be a modest revenue bump for high school football and basketball, that seem to me to have taken a serious backseat to college ball in western North Carolina the last 30 years.

Hey guy, enough of the doom and gloom and negative astralvibes.

NIL just brings out in the open to what was already going on behind the scenes.

Hey guy, enough of the doom and gloom and negative astralvibes.

As I stated, I have no idea where this will put WFU sports in 5-10 years and neither does anyone else. Hell, maybe with Wente we'll go all-in, Don Flow will buy the football team and we'll start wearing fatigues to our away games. But to think things aren't going to change substantially, perhaps to our benefit (not holding my breath), is being very simplistic.

NIL just brings out in the open to what was already going on behind the scenes.

BS to that, unless you have something showing Deacs were in payola and test frauds behind the scenes, unlike several Tobacco Road schools.

Back