• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

ngl I think some of forbes’s frustration is over the fact that he and his staff got played, too

everybody looks like a jackass after this one
Gonna push back on this just based on the fact that Forbes has been in the business for SO long and has had hundreds of interactions with agents and other handlers. Undoubtedly just based on sheer numbers he has been “played” before, but he just took his L and moved on. For him to call a press conference and detail out how shitty this guy was, it had to be absolutely egregious.

There really should be some kind of appeals process for situations like this, but Bobi and his family are ultimately responsible for hiring that clown of an agent and for not cutting him loose sooner so he could opt out of the draft and come back to MSD. Sucks for Bobi that he can’t return to Wake let alone college. Hope he makes it and I love Forbes for roasting Tellem. Fuck that guy.

I wonder what the connection is between this doosh and the guy at the Athletic that wrote the hype piece. I agree w above I think he/they deluded themselves that someone would take a first round flier on Bobi based on upside alone.
I had this same exact thought

There really should be some kind of appeals process for situations like this, but Bobi and his family are ultimately responsible for hiring that clown of an agent and for not cutting him loose sooner so he could opt out of the draft and come back to MSD. Sucks for Bobi that he can’t return to Wake let alone college. Hope he makes it and I love Forbes for roasting Tellem. Fuck that guy.
There is -- or at least there was last time I checked -- a parachute that undrafted players who participated in the combine could return to school. Of course, Bobi didn't participate, so he ruled himself out of that exception.

It was put into place before the portal and (I think) used less than 5 times so it feels like it quickly became irrelevant. Pretty sure the only reason I looked into that was the Bryant Crawford/Doral Moore process.

I also thought that his repsonse when he was asked about Bobi's familywas interesting. Seemed like it suprised him. Of course, none of our business what happened or what their situation may be, but interesting.

We only heard one side of the story, but I feel for Bobi. I hear what Forbes was saying, and it sounds like he didn't get the chance to sound the alarm or educate Bobi and his mom. But the agent was likely not only pumping him up with draft promises and (maybe) NIL dollar signs, but also telling him that WFU coaches were only interested in making sure that he came back to school.

Tough situation, and something needs to be done to help protect the players. Maybe the Northwestern football players had it right... 🤷‍♂️

I also thought that his repsonse when he was asked about Bobi's familywas interesting. Seemed like it suprised him. Of course, none of our business what happened or what their situation may be, but interesting.

We only heard one side of the story, but I feel for Bobi. I hear what Forbes was saying, and it sounds like he didn't get the chance to sound the alarm or educate Bobi and his mom. But the agent was likely not only pumping him up with draft promises and (maybe) NIL dollar signs, but also telling him that WFU coaches were only interested in making sure that he came back to school.

Tough situation, and something needs to be done to help protect the players. Maybe the Northwestern football players had it right... 🤷‍♂️
My roommate in college was a basketball player from Sweden. Her parents were lovely but very disconnected from her experience at college in the US. I could see something like this happening to her. She was extremely naive and didn’t have a lot of real world knowledge of business in the US. She was coming from a society with a large safety net and trusted people and systems far more than a typical American would.

So many things wrong with this situation. Tough enough to lose the kid, but like this? Shit.

Good to see Corch call that asshole agent out. He deserves to get fucked like it seems everyone else did.

Well, we were all trying to figure out a narrative that had this chain of events make sense, and here, our coach just dropped an impromptu press conference explaining a situation that is more ridiculous than anything our imaginations would have conjured. I did not have this on my June 16th board topics bingo card.

So are we all agreeing that Bobi signs an NIL agent deal with this dude who is trying to create a pipeline from the Australian NBL to the NBA. According to coach, Bobi wanted to test the NBA waters, but ultimately wanted to come back if he didn't get a 1st rd grade. When all the mocks at the end of the year didn't have Bobi getting drafted at all, this smuck calls his buddy in Australia to write a few puff pieces hyping Bobi as a 1st rounder to basically turn Bobi's (and his mothers) head away from coming back to Wake. Then shut out Wake coaches from even speaking to Bobi, and gets him to sign a pro deal in the NBL. I would assume the smuck gets a nice kickback from the NBL, and probably gets a nicer cut from Bobi on the pro deal than any NIL deals available (since hes from Sweden). And now this smuck has burned numerous bridges, in the NBA and NCAA. I think coach stated that the NBL has had 4 players drafted in the 1st rd compared to 60 from the ACC in a certain amount of time. Last 10 years or something?

I wonder how much vetting went on from Wake concerning NIL agents. Especially in this case, since Bobi is an international student. If they didn't have a thorough process, I am sure they do now. Just a rough situation for everyone, except the smuck. {taking off the tin hat now}

"I'd like to begin with some prepared remarks: fuck this clown"
Is this guy related the arn tellum? Arne was Kendall Gill’s agent in Charlotte and Allen Bristow jacked him up against the wall during a contract negotiation

Back