• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

100 miles seems so arbitrary. Why not make the threshold whether or not somebody can get in their car and drive without a piss or gas break?

Do the folks reviewing these things know Reid was down to VCU, as well? Do they go that deep? I kind of feel like that shouldn't factor in. I'm still not sold we're even using distance to home town as a reason, but I have nothing to back that up, just a vibe.

I'm choosing VIBES over FACTS and I think we have a wild card in our pocket for this. It will all end in sadness, of course, as that is the Wake way, but I'll have plenty of time to reflect on that when it happens. Until then: vibes.
what are they doing if they’re taking this long and NOT doing some due diligence??

I’m sure they’re doing some stuff like checking academic standing, progress towards degree, circumstances of first transfer, etc; I just don’t think who the player may or may not have been down to in his final choices should come into it, when unless they specifically announce a final two, are just rumors.

I’m sure they’re doing some stuff like checking academic standing, progress towards degree, circumstances of first transfer, etc; I just don’t think who the player may or may not have been down to in his final choices should come into it, when unless they specifically announce a final two, are just rumors.
Good point, but would think its fair (and proper) to ask where transfer took official visits before selecting his school.

Thanks for your clarification (?) but this Woody Newton kid, the George Mason transfer that got the Waiver, is from a town in Maryland that is 30 miles from George Mason; less than the 100 mile threshold. Whereas Reid is from Richmond, which is ~230 miles from Wake, much higher than the 100 mile threshold.
Ha! Yeah, sorry…didn’t read that thread correctly! At least now there’s no confusion on how far GMU is from Richmond.

Thanks for your clarification (?) but this Woody Newton kid, the George Mason transfer that got the Waiver, is from a town in Maryland that is 30 miles from George Mason; less than the 100 mile threshold. Whereas Reid is from Richmond, which is ~230 miles from Wake, much higher than the 100 mile threshold.
George Mason to Woody Newton's listed hometown is a trip that can be done in a few hours using public transportation for $2.00. Is there even any public transportation from Wake to Richmond?

OK, but does the NCAA consider that those 30 miles around the DC beltway can take 90 minutes to drive?

OK, but does the NCAA consider that those 30 miles around the DC beltway can take 90 minutes to drive?
Still less than the time to drive from W-S to Richmond.

And I as I said above, Newton can do the trip by Metro bus and rail. No car needed.

Clearly the big donors need to build a monorail from Wake to Richmond to secure this waiver.

Clearly the big donors need to build a monorail from Wake to Richmond to secure this waiver.
And you have found the correct answer! High speed monorail from W-S to Richmond! FTW!

Is this the official season thread? Maybe the scrimmage highlights should kick off a new official season thread? (I do not have a strong opinion about this).

Back