• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Agreed. A true C isn't necessary in today's game. Improved Marsh and Keller can give us good minutes there.

But winning teams need as many athletic 3 and D and/or scoring wings as possible.
Yep exactly. Give me another Bobi and a 6'5 guard who can create his own shot. No reason to take a flyer on another Bradford.

Our defense needs to improve dramatically. I think the current roster can improve on that end, but we should absolutely upgrade with the 2 available spots if we can.

We need a big.

seems like there a couple dozen decent big men in the portal

gotta figure forbes will get one

Yep exactly. Give me another Bobi and a 6'5 guard who can create his own shot. No reason to take a flyer on another Bradford.

the reason is that we need another big

i'll tell ya right now that if we go into next season with marsh, carr, and keller as our only real frontcourt players, we'll be in the NIT again

Last season, Pierre only played 11.9 min a game in D-2. Now he’s heard from 80 D-1 programs.

Wake needs to aggressively schedule home-homes with potential Q1 OOC opponents both for NET and the home schedule. Another season of a below bubble team playing a weak home schedule is going to lower excitement for the program.
It seems we know too much of the schedule for this to be the case. The schedule will look very similar to this season since both Georgia & Rutgers are on it. If Wake goes to Xavier that should be Q1. Cayman Islands won’t bring much to table. The schedule puts a lot of pressure on the ACC to be good so hopefully all the coaches hit the portal hard.

It seems we know too much of the schedule for this to be the case. The schedule will look very similar to this season since both Georgia & Rutgers are on it. If Wake goes to Xavier that should be Q1. Cayman Islands won’t bring much to table. The schedule puts a lot of pressure on the ACC to be good so hopefully all the coaches hit the portal hard.

Yep. The right side of the bubble is probably 5 or 6 ACC losses, 3 or 4 OOC losses, and making the ACC semis.

Let me add to what I said before though. The main reason to play a tough OOC with several potential Q1 wins is to increase the chances of getting Q1 wins.

Yep. The right side of the bubble is probably 5 or 6 ACC losses, 3 or 4 OOC losses, and making the ACC semis.

Let me add to what I said before though. The main reason to play a tough OOC with several potential Q1 wins is to increase the chances of getting Q1 wins.
Thing is you can't make it unbelievably hard or else you're just trying to play an insanely hard schedule just to do it. Some of it is just luck of the draw. Pre flop last year, if you say Wisconsin just turns into a stinker and LSU wins like 2 games after Christmas, that's the outright worst case scenario alongside most of the ACC being garbage in OOC hurting the metrics even further. Feels like they thought @Rutgers/@Wiscy/neutral LSU would all be Q1 opportunities while UGA would be a solid Q2. End up with Rutgers and Utah Valley being the only OOC Q1 games pre NCAAT

Think you can schedule a little tougher but some of it is just plain luck if that team pans out

Yeah. So schedule tougher. A road loss at a legit Q1 is better than a road loss at Rutgers.

A tougher schedule increases the ceiling and gives the team more leeway.

Yeah. So schedule tougher. A road loss at a legit Q1 is better than a road loss at Rutgers.

A tougher schedule increases the ceiling and gives the team more leeway.
Rutgers was 40th in NET to finished and spent like 75% of the season in the top 30 of the NET. That isn't the one to pick on

It also doesn't give you more leeway. It increases the ceiling, but it doesn't give you more leeway, it's not a fix one auto get in. A lot of it has to do with everyone in the ACC just not stinking in non-con

Increasing the ceiling gives you more leeway, more opportunities to recover from a bad win like App for example.

And yes, the reason we are discussing the OOC schedule is we can’t rely on the ACC to handle their business.

So far we have:

Away:
Georgia (probably Q2, maybe Q1)
Xavier? (Q1)

Home:
Rutgers (probably Q2, maybe Q1)
Elon (probably Q4)

Neutral:
3 of Ole Miss, Drake, Stephen F. Austin, Oakland, TBD, TBD, TBD (some mix of Q2/Q3/Q4 most likely)

Hopefully WF gets to host ACC/SEC Challenge and gets a Q1 game, although who knows. I would like to have 5 or 6 Q1 games OOC.

Yeah, we need a big. It would be a huge problem with the current group, unless really unbelievable amount of progress in the off-season. I also keep banging on the ball handler drum as well. PG or CG that can bring the ball up under pressure (a concern imo).

So he might just stay at VCU? That’s weird.

???????? Just because we failed to land a competent big last year doesn't mean we shouldn't try to land one this year. Last year's team was a competent big away from being a tournament team. It makes a huge difference. We absolutely need a big, waaaayyy more than we need anything else.

Back