• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Also, NBA contracts are almost all fully guaranteed. NFL contracts are not, particularly for guys drafted outside the first round, and the same with subsequent contracts.

Fully guaranteed contracts in the NBA can be a hindrance in moving players. See 76ers/Ben Simmons, Nets/James Harden, Hawks/John Collins and many more.

If Bobi is drafted in the first round, he will get at least $8 million fully guaranteed. That would be tough to turn down.

And he shouldn't if he's in that position.

I said after it was announced. Going to a good team late that can develop him for a bit with that kind of money may very well be better than a shitty, disorganized, and poorly run lotto team next year.

No matter what he's not playing in the NBA next year. He will be in the D league if he goes pro. He may be making a lot of money to be in the D league though based on a contract. Does he feel that is the right thing? Or using another year of college to boost his resume? Are we sure he's going to boost his resume or do we just assume he will?

And he shouldn't if he's in that position.

I said after it was announced. Going to a good team late that can develop him for a bit with that kind of money may very well be better than a shitty, disorganized, and poorly run lotto team next year.
Eh most of the teams in the lottery aren't poorly run. There's a couple of standouts, but for the most part those orgs are choosing to be in the lottery because being in pick hell is just awful.

Eh most of the teams in the lottery aren't poorly run. There's a couple of standouts, but for the most part those orgs are choosing to be in the lottery because being in pick hell is just awful.
Most? The teams in the lottery more years than not are not run well. Obviously agree this is the year of the tank #gospursgo and some small number tank in a given year by trading assets to get picks.
My point though, is when you are in the lottery you need more immediate help and can't afford as much patience as playoff teams at the end of drafter order.

Then you also find teams in the lottery who are brilliant at roster management and turn bad fit players into trades with dumb teams and get lotto picks for free. In Bobis case it’s just as much of a risk going this year late or next year in the lotto. You can end up on a bad team either way. But in case you are reading this Bobi, come back.

There are poorly run teams all over the draft order like the Hornets and T-Wolves.

If Bobi wants to be a professional, he’ll stay in the draft. If Bobi wants to be a college athlete, he will come back to Wake. His draft prospects this year and next will factor into but that’s secondary to the life he wants to live.

Then you also find teams in the lottery who are brilliant at roster management and turn bad fit players into trades with dumb teams and get lotto picks for free. In Bobis case it’s just as much of a risk going this year late or next year in the lotto. You can end up on a bad team either way. But in case you are reading this Bobi, come back.
To the tune of Player -- "Bobi Come Back!"

Most? The teams in the lottery more years than not are not run well. Obviously agree this is the year of the tank #gospursgo and some small number tank in a given year by trading assets to get picks.
My point though, is when you are in the lottery you need more immediate help and can't afford as much patience as playoff teams at the end of drafter order.
If you're there more often than not sure, but for the most part the lottery isn't set in stone every year and I'd argue the poorly run ones are the ones that are just mediocre every single year. At least if you're in the low end of the lottery, you either had a ton of injuries or blatantly tanked to get better.

You need more immediate help, but in 2024 Bobi is probably looked at as a more immediate guy versus what he's being looked at right now.

The biggest hook we have for Bobi is that the 2024 draft is shaping up to be very weak. If he comes back and has a big season, he could very realistically be a top 10 pick in 2024.

And that's about it. If he thinks he has a real shot at guaranteed money, that's hard to turn down, regardless of how confident you are in your ability to improve your stock. He's also already 20, so his age is going to start working against him.

If you're there more often than not sure, but for the most part the lottery isn't set in stone every year and I'd argue the poorly run ones are the ones that are just mediocre every single year. At least if you're in the low end of the lottery, you either had a ton of injuries or blatantly tanked to get better.

You need more immediate help, but in 2024 Bobi is probably looked at as a more immediate guy versus what he's being looked at right now.
Don't think our positions are that far off.

He's gone. I'll be very surprised if he comes back at this point.
The biggest hook we have for Bobi is that the 2024 draft is shaping up to be very weak. If he comes back and has a big season, he could very realistically be a top 10 pick in 2024.

And that's about it. If he thinks he has a real shot at guaranteed money, that's hard to turn down, regardless of how confident you are in your ability to improve your stock. He's also already 20, so his age is going to start working against him.
Does this actually happen though? Are there any recent examples of players who pulled out of the draft and improved their draft position enough that it turned out to be a good decision?

He's gone. I'll be very surprised if he comes back at this point.

Does this actually happen though? Are there any recent examples of players who pulled out of the draft and improved their draft position enough that it turned out to be a good decision?
Kind of - just last year, Jaden Ivey and Benedict Mathurin were both top 6 picks who considered leaving after their freshman year but decided to return. They didn't actual enter their names in, though - and to your point, it seems like just about anyone who enters the draft has gotten to the point where they'll stay in if the initial feedback indicates they've got a shot at a guaranteed contract.

My hope is that Bobi goes to the combine and gets pushed around a bit, which cements the notion that he needs to get stronger.

And then he does.

And we win the National Championship, Bobi goes lottery, and I cash a big ticket on a Wake Forest winning it all wager.

My hope is that Bobi goes to the combine and gets pushed around a bit, which cements the notion that he needs to get stronger.

And then he does.

And we win the National Championship, Bobi goes lottery, and I cash a big ticket on a Wake Forest winning it all wager.
And then use the winnings to bribe the next great player. I mean, support RTQ.

Julian Strawther was #65 on Vecenie's big board one year ago today, and is #35 now. Kris Murray was #50 last year and #20 today. Sasser was #87 last year and #32 now.

Back