• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I would love to get Kasper, but a freshman PG just isn't going to take you to the big leagues. And I don't want to hear about development and his 2/3rd year etc. That shit aint happening anywhere anymore.

I will feel much better about the basketball team when Forbes signs a legitimate PG and another center.
I don't get the sense another center is a priority, unless you consider Baba a center. Unless it's a project, I doubt we go after another true center.

We aren't going to be able to get more than 8 or 9 guys who will play real min. Already have:
Reid
Omaha
Spillers
Cam
Parker
Cosby

If we get Baba, Kasparas and Sallis then that pretty much finishes our rotation...then we fill in the schollies with young guys, other Euros, bottom of bench guys.

I would love to get Kasper, but a freshman PG just isn't going to take you to the big leagues. And I don't want to hear about development and his 2/3rd year etc. That shit aint happening anywhere anymore.

Well this is just a negative for the sake of being negative comment.

I mean, you bring in the best talent you can. This dude should be able to contribute from Day 1. He isn't playing AAU ball right now.

We aren't going to be able to convince any other top names to join us IF we land those other 2 and Sallis comes back. If we land Kasparas and Baba, then I'd agree we will need another CG

We aren't going to be able to convince any other top names to join us IF we land those other 2 and Sallis comes back. If we land Kasparas and Baba, then I'd agree we will need another CG

I'm going to need you to show your work...

CREAMY MINUTES PROJECTIONS

For what it’s worth, I think the money for a subscription is much better spent on getting to read quality stories from interesting angles than it is getting to learn about something specific a few hours before everyone else does.
Especially in this era when the players come and go so quickly its hard to get to know them.

I’m all-in on high-risk, high-reward roster building

hold the spots for the Lithuanian kid and Sallis and if we miss so be it

Agreed. We have the scholarships.

And I'm sure the staff has alternate plans, should that become necessary.

I have more faith in Forbes to pivot than I did in prior staffs (when we thought we were getting Harry Giles, for instance).

Well this is just a negative for the sake of being negative comment.

I mean, you bring in the best talent you can. This dude should be able to contribute from Day 1. He isn't playing AAU ball right now.
I don't feel it was all that negative. I would love to get Kasper, but how often is a Fresh PG leading teams to the promised land it's just a fact. I'd love to have him 2-3 years but thats not todays reality. Overall I agree we need to get as much talent as possible, I just hope our long term plan for next season doesn't hinge on him running the point 30-35 mins a game.

I don't feel it was all that negative. I would love to get Kasper, but how often is a Fresh PG leading teams to the promised land it's just a fact. I'd love to have him 2-3 years but thats not todays reality. Overall I agree we need to get as much talent as possible, I just hope our long term plan for next season doesn't hinge on him running the point 30-35 mins a game.
I'll wait to see how it all plays out, but going from the rumors that guards were all beating at Wake's door to hanging all hopes on a teenage Euro seems to be drastically different options.

What is the promised land?

Gonzaga was runner up NCAA w/ frosh Suggs at PG 3 years ago.

And I understand what you're saying, but I'm going to trust the staff's ability to evaluate talent. I just still hope we have other PG irons in the fire.

We aren't going to be able to get more than 8 or 9 guys who will play real min. Already have:
Reid
Omaha
Spillers
Cam
Parker
Cosby

If we get Baba, Kasparas and Sallis then that pretty much finishes our rotation...then we fill in the schollies with young guys, other Euros, bottom of bench guys.
I know it's easier said than done, but let's get 11 guys capable of playing at the ACC level without getting beat -- and hope 9-10 fit together and work out. We shouldn't be settling on anyone that we expect to be a practice player/end of bench just yet (and we aren't).

I'm not sure about Cosby in particular being ready to play. He was the 11th man on Alabama and played less minutes last year than we played Marion (albeit on a much better team). I feel much better about Omaha (pedigree/size/need/etc), but he was a distant 10th in minutes on Iowa St. I'd be shocked if he isn't a rotation guy and hope he's a really good starter, but we also can't 100% count on that yet.

For now it's 2 known studs (Reid, Cam), 1 likely capable high floor contributor (Spillers), one low floor massive ceiling pickup (Omaha), one capable bench piece with upside (Parker), 2 unknowns (Cosby and Juke), and 1 somewhat known that needs to get a lot better to play (Marion).

What is the promised land?

Gonzaga was runner up NCAA w/ frosh Suggs at PG 3 years ago.

And I understand what you're saying, but I'm going to trust the staff's ability to evaluate talent. I just still hope we have other PG irons in the fire.
Yeah that's what I mean I hope we still have other irons as well. Promised land for us I guess is the NCAA (smh), but I have bigger dreams than that!

I'm not worried about winning the national championship at this point.

Back