• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Funny how we get in these loops of meeting up with certain teams like LSU and now UF

So I texted with my person this morning about something unrelated and they mentioned that the whole Baba to FAU thing is far from a done deal. It’s either us or FAU. We were told it was us a little over two weeks ago, apparently some people at FAU think he’s theirs to lose now…I’m not sure either side feels confident anymore, but that’s pure speculation on my part (they didn’t say this specifically, I’m just reading between the lines).

It could all be part of the game to see who offers more $ in the end, but I do know that we want him and we’re still in a good spot (it also doesn’t hurt if Carr advocates for the Deacs this weekend when they have an event together). The fact that this person doesn’t have a good feeling either way is telling given their position, though. They also said, and I’m quoting them here “…these agents are scumbags.” We have already seen proof of that and FAU is going to offer a good chunk of change to get him regardless, but you never know who is in his ear. IMHO, he would eventually start at the 4 if he came to Wake and would be a big missing piece.

If we get Baba and KJ, and at this point I feel like it’s safe to say this is a big if, I think we would have the best and deepest team of the Forbes era. This next season is make or break in a lot of ways and I fully expect to have the horses needed to win this time around. That’s the only reason I think we could get Baba over FAU. Any other season I think we are comfortable with the depth at that position, but I think we also thought that coming into this season and aren’t going to make the same mistake twice. Same thing with the PG position.

Last edited:
Quick devil's advocate question.... why are the agents scumbags for securing their client (the player), and themselves admittedly, the most money possible?

Isn't that their job? You don't have to like it but it doesn't make them scumbags, I don't think.

Quick devil's advocate question.... why are the agents scumbags for securing their client (the player), and themselves admittedly, the most money possible?

Isn't that their job? You don't have to like it but it doesn't make them scumbags, I don't think.
I mean, I completely agree with you in that regard - the suggestion was more that they’d tell these college kids anything to secure their cut of the deal. That’s what makes them scumbags in some cases - they’re not always looking out for their players.

So I texted with my person this morning about something unrelated and they mentioned that the whole Baba to FAU thing is far from a done deal. It’s either us or FAU. We were told it was us a little over two weeks ago, apparently some people at FAU think he’s theirs to lose now…I’m not sure either side feels confident anymore, but that’s pure speculation on my part (they didn’t say this specifically, I’m just reading between the lines).

It could all be part of the game to see who offers more $ in the end, but I do know that we want him and we’re still in a good spot (it also doesn’t hurt if Carr advocates for the Deacs this weekend when they have an event together). The fact that this person doesn’t have a good feeling either way is telling given their position, though. They also said, and I’m quoting them here “…these agents are scumbags.” We have already seen proof of that and FAU is going to offer a good chunk of change to get him regardless, but you never know who is in his ear. IMHO, he would eventually start at the 4 if he came to Wake and would be a big missing piece.

If we get Baba and KJ, and at this point I feel like it’s safe to say this is a big if, I think we would have the best and deepest team of the Forbes era. This next season is make or break in a lot of ways and I fully expect to have the horses needed to win this time around. That’s the only reason I think we could get Baba over FAU. Any other season I think we are comfortable with the depth at that position, but I think we also thought that coming into this season and aren’t going to make the same mistake twice. Same thing with the PG position.
Did they two recent commits have any influence on Baba’s decision?

Oklahoma State loss worse than Butler to me

Butler was a 7-10 game and that team wasn’t going to win anything

the 95 team could have won it all
West Virginia the worst loss for me. 14 pt lead at the half and from where our seats were behind the bench heard several bad coaching blunders. That 2005 team had the best guards in the country!

Kinda think the worst loss I’ve ever experienced was to Houston Baptist at home. But there were maybe 200 fans at the Joel, no students, a birthday party of kids screaming “YOU’RE EMBARRASSING,” and a rowdy Houston Baptist fan section. And we lost to one of the worst teams in college basketball. In overtime. The other ones are bad losses, but bad teams don’t even lose to Houston Baptist.

Runners up: Stetson, Delaware State, and Presbyterian
How could we forget the Bob Staak loss to Siena in 1987–72-67. 😁

infuriatingly, he lists Wake as a 10 seed in his meaningless May 14th bracketology update

(why he is doing these in the middle of the transfer portal is especially baffling, but gotta get those clicks i guess)
That’s exactly why they do it. Already go a 2025 first round draft pick class for the NFL and a “way too early Top 25” for basketball. Talking heads gotta talk.

How could we forget the Bob Staak loss to Siena in 1987–72-67. 😁

At least that Siena team was decent. They went 23-6 and won the ECAC regular season. Lost in the first round of the NIT.

The Stetson team we lost to in 2010 went 8-23. Their first game of the season they beat Wake and it was the only time they had a winning record the whole season.

West Virginia the worst loss for me. 14 pt lead at the half and from where our seats were behind the bench heard several bad coaching blunders. That 2005 team had the best guards in the country!
yes obviously the WVU loss is the worst loss in deacs history across all sports

my comment was just comparing losses among the next tier of painful losses

Back