• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I think people generally struggle to reconcile being a top 30 team that didn’t have a top 30 resume. If we keep fielding teams that compete in this range, bubble won’t be a problem. We just need a little injury luck on the other side of what we’ve been getting.

i think "meaningful portal guys" is doing the heavy lifting here. if the best player on next year's squad is already on our roster and is not named hunter sallis, i think it's very unlikely we have the pieces to be a good team (which we kinda saw in the last game against UGA). maybe the one hope is if hildreth was heavily hindered by his injury and is amazing next year and we solve our depth issues via the portal, but not optimistic about that.

on the other hand, i think we do have a really good supporting cast -- if we can get the next alondes/appleby/salls (i.e. a lead guard who is our best player) and add some depth, then i think we could be really good.
Well my definition of "meaningful portal guys" was ACC-level players. I don't expect superstars, even though that's what we have gotten most years under Forbes.

Also, I completely disagree about the last game against UGA, the lack of depth is what killed us. Obviously the top guys didn't play great either in that specific game, but UGA's big runs were with bench guys in the game as I remember it. If we have a genuine 8 man rotation next year, I think we'd be just fine with Hildreth/Carr/Boopie/Reid as our best players. I'm way more worried about finding bench guys that can step in without a huge drop off than I am finding one player that's clearly better than those 4.

Unlimited transfers creates this weird dynamic where you have to recruit over the players you already have because they can leave at any time... but also recruiting over the players you have may cause said players to transfer.

Agree on the depth issue. FWIW, UGA had two starters out for WF as well: Russel Tchewa and Jabri Abdur Rahim. The Dawgs got 14 points from a frosh (Dylan James) that had not played a ton all year, a season-high 21 from reserve Justin Hill and 8 boards from another big that had averaged less than 8 minutes a game (Frank Anselem-Ibe). WF got a total of 2 points and 6 boards in 51 minutes from Parker and the 4 other reserves that played. That's below walk-on production at home against a 'meh' team.

Last edited:
It is certainly weird to see schools with a mass exodus (Louisville, Miami) vs. schools where there has been zero portal activity (BC, Virginia).

Agree on the depth issue. FWIW, UGA had two starters out for WF as well: Russel Tchewa and Jabri Abdur Rahim. The Dawgs got 14 points frosh a frosh (Dylan James) that had not played a ton all year, a season-high 21 from reserve Justin Hill and 8 boards from another big that had averaged less than 8 minutes a game (Frank Anselem-Ibe). WF got a total of 2 points and 6 boards in 51 minutes from Parker and the 4 other reserves that played. That's below walk-on production at home against a 'meh' team.
I also think drawing conclusions about what next year will be like from a game in which Wake shot 3-22 from three is maybe a bad idea

It is certainly weird to see schools with a mass exodus (Louisville, Miami) vs. schools where there has been zero portal activity (BC, Virginia).
A lot of schools are having meetings with coaches this week. Players are waiting to portal until those meetings, including WF.

I think both are true:

- we won't be that good if Hunter leaves and we don't find a player as good or better in the portal as the team's best player

- we won't be that good if we don't improve our depth at some key spots

A lot of schools are having meetings with coaches this week. Players are waiting to portal until those meetings, including WF.

Just seems weird because BC was done almost 2 weeks ago and UVA was done a week ago. I get teams that are still playing or just got eliminated over the weekend might not have player attrition yet... But the ones that have been done for a week or more?

I think people generally struggle to reconcile being a top 30 team that didn’t have a top 30 resume. If we keep fielding teams that compete in this range, bubble won’t be a problem. We just need a little injury luck on the other side of what we’ve been getting.

i think our ranking is skewed because we blew out a lot of bad and mediocre teams, but struggled to beat the really good teams on our schedule

forbes HAS to schedule and get some wins on the road and/or against other top 30 (rankings, NET, kenpom, torvik, whatever)

Just seems weird because BC was done almost 2 weeks ago and UVA was done a week ago. I get teams that are still playing or just got eliminated over the weekend might not have player attrition yet... But the ones that have been done for a week or more?
BC played in the NIT. Like WF, they were eliminated on Sunday (three days ago).

i think our ranking is skewed because we blew out a lot of bad and mediocre teams, but struggled to beat the really good teams on our schedule
even some of our blowout wins against bad/middling teams felt kinda like fools gold where you're like "huh, it doesn't feel like we were 18 points better" or whatever

I think we regressed to the mean more than we got figured out or anything

even some of our blowout wins against bad/middling teams felt kinda like fools gold where you're like "huh, it doesn't feel like we were 18 points better" or whatever

I think we regressed to the mean more than we got figured out or anything
Not sure it's worth arguing about, but Wake absolutely obliterated UVA, VT, Syracuse, GT, and Pitt. It's not like any of those were games that were close for most of it and became a blowout at the end.

I think it's way more reasonable to suggest that tired legs, injuries, and a freshman wall led to late season regression than it is to say that was the true level of the team.

Pretty sure he's a grad transfer. WF did well with the last C portal transfer from Colorado:

forbes HAS to schedule and get some wins on the road and/or against other top 30 (rankings, NET, kenpom, torvik, whatever)
Forbes made this point and is right. If we beat Utah in Charleston would/could have played Houston and St. Johns (and maybe our season turns out different). instead we got LSU and Towson.

Agree on the depth issue. FWIW, UGA had two starters out for WF as well: Russel Tchewa and Jabri Abdur Rahim. The Dawgs got 14 points frosh a frosh (Dylan James) that had not played a ton all year, a season-high 21 from reserve Justin Hill and 8 boards from another big that had averaged less than 8 minutes a game (Frank Anselem-Ibe). WF got a total of 2 points and 6 boards in 51 minutes from Parker and the 4 other reserves that played. That's below walk-on production at home against a 'meh' team.
Wake basketball has to have the all time record of having opponents hitting personal record highs.

Forbes made this point and is right. If we beat Utah in Charleston would/could have played Houston and St. Johns (and maybe our season turns out different). instead we got LSU and Towson.
I get what you're saying but it sounds like Forbes is observing that had we won more, our season turns out different. Yup

Back