• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Here, I'll settle it for you. Kentucky is neither a favorite nor a long shot.

What they are is a collection of talent whose talent is underutilized and whose potential for championship runs is untapped, that much is true.

There is no world that I am aware of where a 22 to 1 (that is 4.5%) bet is anything other than a longshot, but to each his/her own.

I just took a trip down memory lane by looking at the first 75 pages of last year's portal thread. We all felt pretty good until Bobi entered his name into the NBA Draft in early April. We had already landed Boopie early on, but other than that had just made some lists. No real sense of panic yet.

Some of the early "targets" panned out and others didn't.

Kadin Shedrick (UVA) ended up at Texas and did well... Rotation guy that would have been a good fit here, as well.
Jalen DeLoach (VCU) went to UGA (out of nowhere... was not on his lists) and did pretty much nothing. He was someone we all wanted.
Micah Handlogten (Marshall) ended up at UF and did well. Similar to Shedrick, he was in a rotation of bigs and would have been awesome for us.

We had heard of potential interest in Hunter Sallis, but the commentary was limited. People wanted a big instead, but also kind of thought he was the type of player we wouldn't land.

Everyone hot and heavy on DJ Horne and Tyrese Samuel, but they had long lists of suitors immediately. Eventually, we'd be a factor... But couldn't close the deal on either.

that is why next year is make or break w forbes

with the portal, there's no longer the need to "build" a program for 3-5 years

forbes either has to figure out how to get an ncaat on the court or not next season

if he can't fill out the roster in the portal, then the abysmal high school recruiting should have been better

I just took a trip down memory lane by looking at the first 75 pages of last year's portal thread. We all felt pretty good until Bobi entered his name into the NBA Draft in early April. We had already landed Boopie early on, but other than that had just made some lists. No real sense of panic yet.

Kadin Shedrick (UVA) ended up at Texas and did well... Rotation guy that would have been a good fit here, as well.
Jalen DeLoach (VCU) went to UGA (out of nowhere... was not on his lists) and did pretty much nothing. He was someone we all wanted.
Micah Handlogten (Marshall) ended up at UF and did well. Similar to Shedrick, he was in a rotation of bigs and would have been awesome for us.

We had heard of potential interest in Hunter Sallis, but the commentary was limited. People wanted a big instead, but also kind of thought he was the type of player we wouldn't land.

Everyone hot and heavy on DJ Horne and Tyrese Samuel, but they had long lists of suitors immediately. Eventually, we'd be a factor... But couldn't close the deal on either.
You had time to read through each of the first 75 pages?

Staff knows best, but Sallis is a horrid three point shooter: 24% last season and for his career. Also, for a team that scores ton of points, Sallis does not. In 68 college games, he has scored in double figures 6 times. Realize Gonzaga is loaded, and he was a 5 star, but scoring does not appear to be his thing.

There is no world that I am aware of where a 22 to 1 (that is 4.5%) bet is anything other than a longshot, but to each his/her own.
By the letter of the gambling law, that may be; I'm speaking in terms of actual perception. 'Longshot' is considered no chance of happening. If #3 seed blue-blood Kentucky with a roster full of future NBA'ers wins the National Championship this year, no one is going to say, wow that was a longshot. But yes, to each their own.

Saw a stat today that teams that are top 10 in offensive efficiency and outside the top 100 in defensive efficiency entering the tournament haven't made the Sweet 16 in 20+ years. This year the two teams that applies to are Kentucky and Alabama.

Saw a stat today that teams that are top 10 in offensive efficiency and outside the top 100 in defensive efficiency entering the tournament haven't made the Sweet 16 in 20+ years. This year the two teams that applies to are Kentucky and Alabama.
Seems like a combination of strange luck, small sample size, and the fact that defense is generally important (how many teams got that category in a given year?)

Miami was 19 in offense and 107 in defense in 2022 and made the Elite 8

Seems like a combination of strange luck, small sample size, and the fact that defense is generally important (how many teams got that category in a given year?)

Miami was 19 in offense and 107 in defense in 2022 and made the Elite 8
Yes it's almost certainly a small sample size situation adding to it. I think I saw 5 total since 2020 (and the noted Miami fringe case making the Final Four).

Sounds like Miami would be a good fit for Monsanto.

I can't imagine Larrañaga and Monsanto getting along...

Wasn’t Ituka a captain this year? I guess I assumed he would be back next year for another go at a healthy season.

If they have Boopie, Cam, Carr, & Reid it’s time for Coach to schedule a season with expectations of having a special team. He has to know now the importance of the games played in November.
I’m curious on the mentioned early season tournament in Florida. If true, it had a solid 8 team field this season.

Back