• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Louisville is not a city I would live in, nor is the university a school I would attend. The basketball team that represents the university and the town has history of competitiveness and success. The three states in the immediate vicinity produce good basketball talent and UL can usually have their pick of the better talent. The basketball team has outstanding support financially and actively attends the games. Enjoy the difficulties the UL basketball program is presently experiencing. If Pat Kelsey is as good a coach as so many on this forum believe, he has just begun the best opportunity of his lifetime.

Updated the first page of ACC Transfers...

Here's what I have (via Verbal Commits):

Current ACC Transfers (destination):
BC
- Jaeden Zackery
Cal - Devin Askew, Grant Newell, Rodney Brown, ND Okafor, Monty Bowser, Jalen Celestine, Wrenn Robinson
Clemson - Josh Beadle
Duke - Christian Reeves
FSU - Primo Spears, De'Ante Green, Cameron Corhen, Tom House, Baba Miller, Waka Mbatch
GT - Amaree Abram, Ebenezer Dowuona, Tyzhaun Claude
Louisville - Curtis Williams Jr, Kaleb Glenn, Dennis Evans, JJ Traynor, Danilo Jovanovich, Skyy Clark (UCLA), Mike James, Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (NCSU), Tre White, Emmanuel Okorafor, Ty-Laur Johnson // Terrence Edwards, Jr, James Scott, Reyne Smith
Miami - Christian Watson, AJ Casey, Michael Nwoko, Bensley Joseph, Jakai Robinson, Nick Cassano // Lynn Kidd, Brandon Johnson
NCSU - LJ Thomas // Brandon Huntley-Hatfield
UNC - None
Notre Dame - Alex Wade, Matt Zona, Carey Booth
Pittsburgh - William Jeffress, Federiko Federiko
SMU - Jefferson Koulibaly
Stanford - Kanaan Carlyle, Andrej Stojakovic, Maxime Raynaud, Max Murrell, Brandon Angel
Syracuse - Benny Williams, Justin Taylor, Quadir Copeland, Peter Carey // Eddie Lampkin, Jr
UVA - None
Virginia Tech - Rodney Rice (Maryland), Lynn Kidd (Miami), Sean Pedulla, John Camden, MJ Collins, Tyler Nickel // Ben Burnham, Jordan Ivy-Curry,
Wake Forest - Damari Monsanto, Jao Ituka, Aaron Clark, Kevin Miller, Matthew Marsh, Zach Keller

Only UNC & UVA haven't lost anyone (yet)... Only Louisville, Miami, NCSU, Syracuse, and Virginia Tech have brought players in.

Also seems like Judah Mintz is done at Syracuse, but nothing official.

Funny how JJ Starling transferred from ND to Syracuse to form a super backcourt (that can't shoot worth a damn), yet ND came out on top with Marcus Burton clearly a better player than Starling.

Yeah the transfer portal is the truest definition of capitalism. So anyone bitching about it must be bleeding heart Bernie bros, I'd assume.

Also, the adults in the room created this mess with their own greed.

The athletes simply followed suit. The athletes are the last ones to blame in all this.

That said, many of the athletes will have a sad and rude awakening when they turn down $250,000 and a great situation only to bag chase and end up making a lateral move or step down in playing time or NIL dollars. I just can't imagine all these guys wanting $500k-1Mil are going to get their wish. Too many players wanting the same things and greatly overvaluing themselves.

I don’t think we will ever land any of the name transfers unless there’s a reason connecting them to Winston or something. They’ll be randos, either pretty good players from small schools or unknown bench warmers from bigger ones.

That said, many of the athletes will have a sad and rude awakening when they turn down $250,000 and a great situation only to bag chase and end up making a lateral move or step down in playing time or NIL dollars. I just can't imagine all these guys wanting $500k-1Mil are going to get their wish. Too many players wanting the same things and greatly overvaluing themselves.

download.jpeg

Yeah the transfer portal is the truest definition of capitalism. So anyone bitching about it must be bleeding heart Bernie bros, I'd assume.

Also, the adults in the room created this mess with their own greed.

The athletes simply followed suit. The athletes are the last ones to blame in all this.
Don’t know about truest, but compensation of athletes outside of a salary cap is certainly one of the most pure meritocracies that exist. Players get paid on talent and hard work alone. It’s one of the reasons the most ardent capitalists hate it.

Most of the commitments so far have seem to be due to existing relationships (like a coach moving around) or programs willing to give players the bag they were looking for (Lynn Kidd). I suspect we'll start to see more player movement after this dead period of the Final Four.

Don’t know about truest, but compensation of athletes outside of a salary cap is certainly one of the most pure meritocracies that exist. Players get paid on talent and hard work alone. It’s one of the reasons the most ardent capitalists hate it.
I don't hate the transfer portal. If somebody wants to give a player a bag of money, go for it!

I don't even hate the inevitable situation where players who had an inflated view of their worth find themselves without a desirable (or lucrative) landing spot.

With a few exceptions, it feels like it's gonna play out where a number of big name players get a eye-popping offers early on, then the money dries up and a lot of folks are left scrambling for a better situation than what they just left. But when they land somewhere, they'll get to post a nice edit on Twitter and feel special for a day or two until fans move on to the next thing and the actual work begins.

I think there is another reason the most ardent capitalists hate it

Updated the first page of ACC Transfers...

Here's what I have (via Verbal Commits):

Current ACC Transfers (destination):
BC
- Jaeden Zackery
Cal - Devin Askew, Grant Newell, Rodney Brown, ND Okafor, Monty Bowser, Jalen Celestine, Wrenn Robinson
Clemson - Josh Beadle
Duke - Christian Reeves
FSU - Primo Spears, De'Ante Green, Cameron Corhen, Tom House, Baba Miller, Waka Mbatch
GT - Amaree Abram, Ebenezer Dowuona, Tyzhaun Claude
Louisville - Curtis Williams Jr, Kaleb Glenn, Dennis Evans, JJ Traynor, Danilo Jovanovich, Skyy Clark (UCLA), Mike James, Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (NCSU), Tre White, Emmanuel Okorafor, Ty-Laur Johnson // Terrence Edwards, Jr, James Scott, Reyne Smith
Miami - Christian Watson, AJ Casey, Michael Nwoko, Bensley Joseph, Jakai Robinson, Nick Cassano // Lynn Kidd, Brandon Johnson
NCSU - LJ Thomas // Brandon Huntley-Hatfield
UNC - None
Notre Dame - Alex Wade, Matt Zona, Carey Booth
Pittsburgh - William Jeffress, Federiko Federiko
SMU - Jefferson Koulibaly
Stanford - Kanaan Carlyle, Andrej Stojakovic, Maxime Raynaud, Max Murrell, Brandon Angel
Syracuse - Benny Williams, Justin Taylor, Quadir Copeland, Peter Carey // Eddie Lampkin, Jr
UVA - None
Virginia Tech - Rodney Rice (Maryland), Lynn Kidd (Miami), Sean Pedulla, John Camden, MJ Collins, Tyler Nickel // Ben Burnham, Jordan Ivy-Curry,
Wake Forest - Damari Monsanto, Jao Ituka, Aaron Clark, Kevin Miller, Matthew Marsh, Zach Keller

Only UNC & UVA haven't lost anyone (yet)... Only Louisville, Miami, NCSU, Syracuse, and Virginia Tech have brought players in.
Maliq Brown out at Syracuse as well.

Back