• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

No better time to mention this again...

How about we make an Ogboards donation to RTQ? Give $5, $500.. something....We have a low end goal of $5,000 or something. It isn't a lot, but it would be cool and buy us some credibility for all our credibility threads ..

We can Venmo RTQ man directly, or a responsible money handler like Biff. And they can write the check.

Thoughts? I'm in for $50 if we get a commitment from William Kyle in the next few days.

"Score Big with Wake Forest & Camel Menthol Lights: Efton Reid's Choice for a Slam Dunk of Flavor and Freshness!"

Yeah, my read is that there is a player (or 2 or 3) that the staff feels is worth the asking price, but they have concerns about that that means for filling out the roster (especially with Sallis as a ???).

As JohnToms states above, it's fine to wait out the market until the players you really want end up elsewhere. If you wait too long, you miss out on targets and then get a pupu platter of "high value" players that aren't winning you anything.

It's like every auction style NFL fantasy draft I've even been in. Certain teams blow their wad on superstars early for like $40-50 each and are content to just fill in the blanks with $1 players. It's easy to say that's a terrible strategy, but then you end up with a bunch of $10 players for $5 each. Great value! But you aren't competing with the top teams when you have that roster. There's a happy medium in there... Definitely not easy to execute.
That's a spot on analogy.

"As the head coach of the Demon Deacons, I can't just settle for any old Joe for my roster. That's why when I need to take a fast break, I team up with with my pal, Joe Camel. If you want to play your way off the bubble of life, then choose Camel cigarettes."
aww man think of the possibilities of having our players drawn into such hip scenes as this

images

1997-Camel-Ad-3-Joe-Camels-757x1030.jpg

il_570xN.1604096359_m3fy.jpg

Unfortunately wake basketball does not have time to allow the market to correct itself. Other schools can do that … like NC State - since they just went on a run I have been dreaming about for Wake since the 1984 win over DePaul. Not suggesting we break the bank but time is of the essence if we ever want to be relevant again and over paying right now will yield dividends in the future. This feels like the Alamo for wake basketball.
If Currie wasn't such a pussy, and Wake really wanted cement its relevancy, we would just go ahead and start openly recruiting players to be directly paid by the school in exchange for 2+ year noncompete (aka nontransfer) agreements. It's obviously going there soon anyway, and the NCAA's amateurism theory will be laughed out of court given NIL faster than most of their other lame arguments have gotten trounced lately. Pay the kids more than NIL as direct employees plus give them healthcare and 401(k), get the noncompetes, start actually fucking winning for once, and be the lead plaintiff/defendant and key actor in every conference realignment situation. We literally have nothing to lose. We are about to get flat fucked by sitting still, this is the one way to get out in front of it. Stop trying to play catch-up and take charge for once in our goddamn existence.

Back