• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

That means that at minimum 125/200 minutes are already accounted for and there are only 75 minutes left. A lot of uncertainty for me as to how Biliew/Spillers minutes will shake out, but it seems obvious both will be on the court a lot. If we really are getting 3-4 more transfers, I would expect at least one or two of them to be backups that get 10 mpg maximum, which means they probably won't be particularly exciting names.

I think, ideally, that is where you bring in experienced guys from a lower level that have a specific skill that can contribute.

Or lottery tickets.

Anthony Dell'Orso would be interesting. He looks the part, but his two years were at Campbell. I'd be excited to bring him into the fold and see what he can do.

Have also heard Bowen Born's name. He's not elite at anything, but has a ton of experience and does everything well enough that you could use him in the guard rotation.

I think that we are starting to run out of playing time to offer transfers, particularly with the idea that we are taking 3-4 more. In my head, this is the minimum playing time we should expect for each current player:

Hildreth: 30
PFred: 20
Juke: 10
Spillers: 20-25
Biliew: 20-25
Reid: 25

That means that at minimum 125/200 minutes are already accounted for and there are only 75 minutes left. A lot of uncertainty for me as to how Biliew/Spillers minutes will shake out, but it seems obvious both will be on the court a lot. If we really are getting 3-4 more transfers, I would expect at least one or two of them to be backups that get 10 mpg maximum, which means they probably won't be particularly exciting names.

This whole conversation changes a lot too if Sallis comes back and accounts for 30-35 mpg.
You’re missing a 30+ PG. And while I’m excited for them both, I’d love to snag a strong enough wing to cut that PFred/Juke total in half.

If Sallis comes back and these next 2-3 expected commits are on par with the potential level of Spillers/Omaha, we should be legit. Probably receiving votes or ranked to start the year. Big ifs tho.

of course, but i'm trying to be modest in my request here

Crawford was good
I was just going back through the list of WF PGs in the era where we sucked and I had forgotten how good Crawford was. In my mind, he was mostly a scorer, but his assist numbers/rates are pretty impressive. And he could shoot it well enough to be a threat from 3.

It's a shame we missed out on a SR year with he and Moore. Feels like we could have been good that year with Crawford, Hoard, Moore, Sarr, Brown, and Childress. Even with Manning. Instead, we sucked.

Should we expect any sort of shooting ability from Biliew? Obviously he didn't showcase it at Iowa State, but is there reason to believe he can do it?

I'd be a little concerned about shooting if we end up with a starting lineup of PG-Hildreth-Spillers-Biliew-Reid.
On the other hand, if the PG is even average, this would be the best defensive potential lineup since… ever?

I was just going back through the list of WF PGs in the era where we sucked and I had forgotten how good Crawford was. In my mind, he was mostly a scorer, but his assist numbers/rates are pretty impressive. And he could shoot it well enough to be a threat from 3.

It's a shame we missed out on a SR year with he and Moore. Feels like we could have been good that year with Crawford, Hoard, Moore, Sarr, Brown, and Childress. Even with Manning. Instead, we sucked.
yeah, and he had good chemistry with JC, which definitely helped both of them

good gracious was Manning a bad coach

The same person who told me about Omaha told me Wake wanted Kyle, too so something must have happened for him to commit to UCLA while on his visit to MSD. He would have been competing for minutes with Spillers, Omaha and MMM…not sure if that’s what it was, though. I’d like to think it’s because we now have a good shot at Power. And yeah, very tight-lipped on the mystery PG who we are apparently in good shape with. I have no idea who it is, but they must be damn good. Forbes is going to do it again, isn’t he?

If Sallis comes back and these next 2-3 expected commits are on par with the potential level of Spillers/Omaha, we should be legit. Probably receiving votes or ranked to start the year. Big ifs tho.
Come on man, we'd be more than talented enough to be ranked in this scenario. This would be crazy.

I mean we'd have a returning ACC first team player, two proven ACC starters, and then 4-5 more guys that were all top 75-100 ranked transfers and all could reasonably be expected to be at minimum average ACC starters. Add in PFred and Juke and we'd have a legitimate 9-10 player rotation with little to no drop off.

I think this scenario is very very unlikely to happen, but if it did I think we'd be ranked in like the top 15 or something crazy.

The same person who told me about Omaha told me Wake wanted Kyle, too so something must have happened for him to commit to UCLA while on his visit to MSD. He would have been competing for minutes with Spillers, Omaha and MMM…not sure if that’s what it was, though. I’d like to think it’s because we now have a good shot at Power.
might also be he wanted to live in LA vs Winston-Salem after spending a couple years in South Dakota

might also be he wanted to live in LA vs Winston-Salem after spending a couple years in South Dakota
Wouldn’t blame him one bit if that’s the case. We could have used him, especially for depth. Pretty sure UCLA doesn’t even have a scholarship to give him right now and their NIL is a mess.

Is UCLA likely going to be giving Kyle the starting center role?

Because he wasn't getting that at Wake, and was probably capped at like 20 mpg here now that both Biliew and Spillers are in the fold

Wouldn’t blame him one bit if that’s the case. We could have used him, especially for depth. Pretty sure UCLA doesn’t even have a scholarship to give him right now and their NIL is a mess.
The no currently available scholarship is part of the puzzle around Kyle to UCLA.

i liked the 30 seconds video i watched of kyle -- wanted him here just to watch him jump up and down like he has a jetpack on his back

Their NIL is far from a mess. They have course corrected this offseason and Mick is crushing the portal. They should be really good next season.

I’m interested to see what his role ends up being. I doubt he’ll be starting, but he probably got a nice payday and his dad is happier he’s at UCLA. I’m spiteful, so I hope he fails.

Back