• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

I don’t think making the NCAAT is an unreadable expectation. I also think it’s a lot harder to do now than many of the old timers appreciate or understand.

It’s an honest question. Why does anyone think this next year will be any different?
I think we have fielded a tournament team two out of the last 4 years. I think our nonconference schedule should be better this year, and I’m hopeful the league has a better reputation.

Last edited:
Well now I'm curious who was the last coach with multiple 5*.. Dino? Bzz and Manning may have had one, but i'd be shocked at multiple on the same team.

I’m not suggesting anyone stops watching. I have the same questions about those teams when a coach continues to not make a post season
okay then if people want to be optimistic just fucking let them. What is the harm? "Honest question" my ass. It's like you want to feel above the mere peasant sports fans who feel feelings and let themselves get caught up in excitement. It's really irritating!

Sports are an escape! Let people get excited and feel some positive feelings without coming and shitting all over them.

More athleticism? Better defense? Less injuries? No weird Damari chemistry issues? More Q1 opportunities/better OOC?
Nobody will answer my question on TOB, but I really do want to know whether Damari/Jao deciding to transfer in-season and Boopie and Carr (clearly) entertaining transferring during this same time period played a role in our complete collapse down the stretch.

It's hard to play like a team when you have so many guys clearly more invested in their own situations while the season is still happening

That's gonna blow up chemistry and tank a season imo.

Spillers, Omaha and Reid and a very strong defensive nucleus. Cam is a great on ball defender. Get a couple more guys who can play both ends of the floor and we might be tough to score against

So if the NCAAT isn’t the bar then what’s the point? Might as well play D2 at that point
Exactly. The only thing that matters, and I mean only thing, is if you make the NCAA tournament. That's why our 2017 season with Manning was infinitely better than this past season. In 2017 Wake went 19-14 and finished 10th in the ACC, whereas this year we went 21-14 and finished 5th in the ACC, but 2017 was undoubtedly a better year. Or compare 2001 to 2000. 2001 is obviously the better year. In 2000 we went 22-14 and won the NIT, but in 2001 we went 19-11 and made the NCAA tourney (and only lost to Butler by 16). Obviously 2001 was the much better year, because all that matters is making the NCAA tourney.

Exactly. The only thing that matters, and I mean only thing, is if you make the NCAA tournament. That's why our 2017 season with Manning was infinitely better than this past season. In 2017 Wake went 19-14 and finished 10th in the ACC, whereas this year we went 21-14 and finished 5th in the ACC, but 2017 was undoubtedly a better year. Or compare 2001 to 2000. 2001 is obviously the better year. In 2000 we went 22-14 and won the NIT, but in 2001 we went 19-11 and made the NCAA tourney (and only lost to Butler by 16). Obviously 2001 was the much better year, because all that matters is making the NCAA tourney.
I'd rather win the NIT than flame out in the NCAA first round (or first 4), particularly back in the MSG days.

Nobody will answer my question on TOB, but I really do want to know whether Damari/Jao deciding to transfer in-season and Boopie and Carr (clearly) entertaining transferring during this same time period played a role in our complete collapse down the stretch.

It's hard to play like a team when you have so many guys clearly more invested in their own situations while the season is still happening

That's gonna blow up chemistry and tank a season imo.
Would think the Damari situation had the most impact. Feel like Boopie and in particular, Carr were all in, until the season ended.

Even so, WF beat Duke late in the season, and then beat future Elite 8 Clemson to end the regular season. It's not like WF failed to show up in the games that it lost. The other team just played well.

Think that people don't understand how hard it is to win. WF had bad bad losses to GT (who also beat UNC, Clemson and Duke) and ND (who also beat Clemson and UVA), it's really hard to win. The other schools are paying their coach well into the seven figurs too and shelling out big NIL bucks. There is a tendency to just follow your own team, and forget that the other opponent has coaches, players and resources exclusively devoted to beating you.

Back