• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

You can cross Kyle off the list... Sounds like he's going to UCLA.

Such a weird turn of events.
3af69c83-9031-421b-a01b-ffb2ad10c47c_text.gif

I also think you need to have 12 solid players to practice competetively. You can't just have traffic cones to play against all year.

I mean you still want to fill out a roster even if you only play 8-10 guys because 1) injuries and 2) a backbench guy might blow up in practice and become a starter
I agree with you, but I guess my main point was I would not put as much time and effort into recruiting this area as it would take a lot of injuries occurring for the last 3 players to ever play. Do you have any examples of a last 3 scholarship player “blowing up” in practice to become a starter? I suspect this is a rare occurrence and with the new reality of recruiting a new team every year, I would focus my time and money on recruiting my best top 10. Having a decent last 3 scholarship player with the potential to “blow up” seems like a luxury only the blue blood programs will have the ability to attain.

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's more likely to be a lot of what we've seen... You bring in a few HS players each year and they either work out or you cut them loose and help them find a program that better fits their skill set.

Yeah makes sense out of HS everyone wants that D1 offer, thinks they can play. Some figure out it's a level too high etc after a year or two and can adjust appropriately.

Timing of this makes me think that Wale was only ever going to land one and we got to pick which one.
I don't read it like that at all. We wanted both and Kyle looked like pretty much a done deal. Kyle more of a 5 and Biliew more of a 3/4.

If anyone overlaps it is more Spillers and Biliew.

With Sallis we are starting to have a semblance of something. But without a very good starting level PG we are nothing. Huge hole left to fill, but expect Forbes to do his thing.

If Sallis comes back and we land a ACC level point guard, this team would be very dangerous. I’m pretty certain the latter will happen but the former is still probably a 50/50 proposition at best at this point.

If Sallis comes back and we land a ACC level point guard, this team would be very dangerous. I’m pretty certain the latter will happen but the former is still probably a 50/50 proposition at best at this point.
I'm in the pessimist camp on Sallis returning to Wake. NBA has been his dream for most of his life. If he thinks he has a shot at the NBA this year, I think he takes it, even if he gets a late second round evaluation.

I'm in the pessimist camp on Sallis returning to Wake. NBA has been his dream for most of his life. If he thinks he has a shot at the NBA this year, I think he takes it, even if he gets a late second round evaluation.
I think this is the correct take, and I would assume how Forbes & Co. are approaching it. Build a roster that can compete in the ACC without Sallis, and IF he comes back you've elevated your ceiling to serious title contender.

Eh. Most 2nd round picks do not get guaranteed rookie contracts, in which case NIL would likely pay him significantly more than he would make on a 2-Way contract, assuming >$500k NIL and he wasn't on a full call-up which 2-way guys usually are not. Personally I think he is a late first-rounder in this draft class so yes I am pessimistic about him coming back, but if he does not get a lock first round grade then he needs to seriously consider coming back for financial reasons.

There is zero chance of Forbes not bringing in a starting PG to run the show. Sallis (who I still think is gone) would get stretches as the lead guard, but Forbes has the open schollies and it feels pretty certain that we’re gonna add a PG.

We just don’t know who it is.
I wouldn't say zero chance...If Sallis comes back to Wake, bookmark this post.

We will bring in a PG, but if Sallis is back, he will be showcasing he can play point at the next level.

So far, I'm seeing we have 6 ACC players

Cam, Efton, Parker, Spillers and Omaha. I'd like to throw Juke on that list to make 6 because I think he will be ready to contribute in some capacity to make 6 playable guys.

I'm not ready to call MMM or Canka playable.

Get another high level starter and 2 more playable guys and we have a solid 8 man rotation with or without Sallis.

If Sallis doesn't come back, then I agree we need to bring in 2 starter level guards to split time with Cam in our 3 main guard rotation. If Sallis does come back then you only need 1 starter level guard and a bench piece.

being projected #58 is just as easy not to be drafted...we have experience. I really hope Sallis stays for one more, gets his degree and hopefully improves his chances in the draft.

I agree with CreamyGoodness, I think if Sallis comes back he will get a run at PG for potential NBA future combo guard. he has to put in some work in the offseason but I think he can get there.

Back