• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

dawv0jn-18ee3e69-c934-4632-872b-3e7676902b49.png

I think that we are starting to run out of playing time to offer transfers, particularly with the idea that we are taking 3-4 more. In my head, this is the minimum playing time we should expect for each current player:

Hildreth: 30
PFred: 20
Juke: 10
Spillers: 20-25
Biliew: 20-25
Reid: 25

That means that at minimum 125/200 minutes are already accounted for and there are only 75 minutes left. A lot of uncertainty for me as to how Biliew/Spillers minutes will shake out, but it seems obvious both will be on the court a lot. If we really are getting 3-4 more transfers, I would expect at least one or two of them to be backups that get 10 mpg maximum, which means they probably won't be particularly exciting names.

This whole conversation changes a lot too if Sallis comes back and accounts for 30-35 mpg.
I hope these guys are all great, but Biliew couldn't get off the bench last year, Juke hasn't played a second of college ball, Spillers is moving up a level in play. Maybe they will all be great but its also possible they will end up behind portal players yet to be named.

I have not seen anything of Kyle III commit to UCLA, but do know they are after him. I think we are still in the mix.

I hope these guys are all great, but Biliew couldn't get off the bench last year, Juke hasn't played a second of college ball, Spillers is moving up a level in play. Maybe they will all be great but its also possible they will end up behind portal players yet to be named.
Ok sure, but all of those players are coming to Wake with the expectation of playing time next year, and Forbes didn't offer any of them scholarships so that they could serve as depth pieces on the bench. Forbes pretty obviously believes in all three of those guys, and based on what we know I think we should too (with the caveat that Juke is gonna be a freshman).

I mean Spillers only has one year of eligibility left and Omaha is a former 5 star recruit. Neither guy is coming to Wake thinking that they will be 3rd guy off the bench and playing 10 minutes per game.

I hope these guys are all great, but Reid couldn't get off the bench last year, Parker hasn't played a second of college ball, Boopie is moving up a level in play.

I mean, we didn't make the tourney last year... My point is more that there are always question marks.

Is there a chance Carr would reconsider transferring if we have a more robust roster and/or if Sallis returns?

Ok sure, but all of those players are coming to Wake with the expectation of playing time next year, and Forbes didn't offer any of them scholarships so that they could serve as depth pieces on the bench. Forbes pretty obviously believes in all three of those guys, and based on what we know I think we should too (with the caveat that Juke is gonna be a freshman).

I mean Spillers only has one year of eligibility left and Omaha is a former 5 star recruit. Neither guy is coming to Wake thinking that they will be 3rd guy off the bench and playing 10 minutes per game.
And I feel like it's important to remember that Spillers is coming off one of the best App teams ever. Had a double/double against us and dogged all over the one or two decent Sun Belt teams.

Sallis couldnt get off the bench at Gonzaga. Trust in Forbes. He is the transfer whisperer

any rumors on if any of these NIL deals are multi-year?
I was thinking about this, as well. I kind of hope not. While locking up guys sounds good, you also wouldn't want to be on the hook for a big contact with a player that doesn't work out.

Can you imagine if we still had Monsanto on the books at some high number? Or a guarantee to Canka?

Feels to me like you just take it year by year. Sucks that you could lose players to higher bidders, but it's better than keeping disgruntled dudes around.

I was thinking about this, as well. I kind of hope not. While locking up guys sounds good, you also wouldn't want to be on the hook for a big contact with a player that doesn't work out.

Can you imagine if we still had Monsanto on the books at some high number? Or a guarantee to Canka?

Feels to me like you just take it year by year. Sucks that you could lose players to higher bidders, but it's better than keeping disgruntled dudes around.
i kinda agree, but i also see it getting to a point pretty quickly where guys are only going to sign longer deals so it's not exclusively a team-side decision

who knows -- it's chaos

Back