• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Boopie Miller is not an NBA player and wherever he goes for the next year or two will not turn him into an NBA player. And, changing programs annually is almost certainly not aiding in his development.
Maybe a little contradictory bc if he's not playing NBA his highest earning years as a player may be the next few years. Get it while it's good.

As of now - I am out of scoops

Noise around Cosby has gone quiet... not sure if that means it's close or it's going the William Kyle route

I think there's at least one more exciting recruit on campus this week (plus 2-3 role player types)
I hope 247 isn't being coy about 2-3 more Canka level recruits.

Maybe a little contradictory bc if he's not playing NBA his highest earning years as a player may be the next few years. Get it while it's good.

That's sort of where I was with Boopie. He maybe has 2 more years of opportunity for the rest of his life to be paid to play basketball. Wish he'd stayed (his allegedly difficult parents notwithstanding), but I understand if he's trying to max out his earnings while he can.

Looking into my crystal ball...

• We finally make the tournament next year as a 9-seed

• We score two early upsets, including of course the #1 seed, with Omaha balling out

• "Omaha" starts trending on social media, fueled largely by ubiquitous Peyton Manning gifs & memes

• By the start of the next weekend, as we enter Sweet 16 play, Peyton himself has picked up on the buzz and - never shy to capitalize on a cultural moment - starts weighing in with his newfound fandom for the Demon Deacs

• He recalls the time Timmy D called to ask him about staying in school for his senior year
  • (Ashley Manning is ok with him cheering for Wake, since UVA flamed out again in the play-in game)

• This extra dose of attention and chaos - combined with the unleashing of a pent-up national surge of support for the once-proud, little-engine-that-could program of Duncan, Paul, Childress, Rogers, and Bogues - carries us to the Final Four

• Along the way we've exorcised various March Madness demons, by taking out West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Stanford, and Kentucky (finally free to make a deep run because Calipari was no longer at the helm)

• (The public display of forgiveness of CP3 by Julius Hodge - who is now at peace with NC State's tournament history - is attributed as a major factor in the mysterious lifting of the curse)

• We topple Duke in the championship game, and the entire stadium storms the court, surrounding their overwhelmed coach

• As he fake-limps into the locker room, Scheyerface goes viral

• Hunter Sallis becomes a lottery pick

• Steve Forbes is later invited onto the Manningcast, where he correctly predicts a scoring play in the red zone, and makes Eli chuckle dumbly

• Just before the end of his segment, he symbolically throws down a Covid mask, dons his Cousin Eddie hat, and proclaims that the end very much was the trophy

• Wake fans everywhere rightly recognize that the apocalypse is nigh

• But we all agree it was worth it
Small correction. Manning approached Duncan for advice. Duncan graduated in 1997. Manning graduated in 1998.

That's sort of where I was with Boopie. He maybe has 2 more years of opportunity for the rest of his life to be paid to play basketball. Wish he'd stayed (his allegedly difficult parents notwithstanding), but I understand if he's trying to max out his earnings while he can.
He can make 100k playing overseas easily.

The problem is he got a good and fair offer and now maybe has screwed himself out of the best offer. Wouldnt you take a guaranteed 250k versus reaching for 300k and possibly not getting it then having to take something like 100?

Looking into my crystal ball...

• We finally make the tournament next year as a 9-seed

• We score two early upsets, including of course the #1 seed, with Omaha balling out

• "Omaha" starts trending on social media, fueled largely by ubiquitous Peyton Manning gifs & memes

• By the start of the next weekend, as we enter Sweet 16 play, Peyton himself has picked up on the buzz and - never shy to capitalize on a cultural moment - starts weighing in with his newfound fandom for the Demon Deacs

• He recalls the time Timmy D called to ask him about staying in school for his senior year

• (Ashley Manning is ok with him cheering for Wake, since UVA flamed out again in the play-in game)

• This extra dose of attention and chaos - combined with the unleashing of a pent-up national surge of support for the once-proud, little-engine-that-could program of Duncan, Paul, Childress, Rogers, and Bogues - carries us to the Final Four

• Along the way we've exorcised various March Madness demons, by taking out West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Stanford, and Kentucky (finally free to make a deep run because Calipari was no longer at the helm)

• (The public display of forgiveness of CP3 by Julius Hodge - who is now at peace with NC State's tournament history - is attributed as a major factor in the mysterious lifting of the curse)

• We topple Duke in the championship game, and the entire stadium storms the court, surrounding their overwhelmed coach

• As he fake-limps into the locker room, Scheyerface goes viral

• Hunter Sallis becomes a lottery pick

• Steve Forbes is later invited onto the Manningcast, where he correctly predicts a scoring play in the red zone, and makes Eli chuckle dumbly

• Just before the end of his segment, he symbolically throws down a Covid mask, dons his Cousin Eddie hat, and proclaims that the end very much was the trophy

• Wake fans everywhere rightly recognize that the apocalypse is nigh

• But we all agree it was worth it
The pent-up national surge of support from “10 million fans of the fastest-growing collegiate brand in the country” (or whatever John Currie’s questionable boast was).

The pent-up national surge of support from “10 million fans of the fastest-growing collegiate brand in the country” (or whatever John Currie’s questionable boast was).
I greatly question the numbers, but the growing brand was probably true, at least until Wake football laid an egg last year ... POOF ... all gone.

For all the talk of Forbes being the portal whisperer what good has it done? I don’t get it
Kind of where I am leaning towards as well. I am firmly in the camp glad he is our guy and ready to rock with him this year. But the portal whisper better raise to a fuckin Yell this year and a tourney berth. Or siyonara. But I'm really pulling for him.

Is there a chance Carr would reconsider transferring if we have a more robust roster and/or if Sallis returns?
probably not since Kentucky and Villanova may also outbid us. Villanova wasn't a tourney team either so who knows.

For all the talk of Forbes being the portal whisperer what good has it done? I don’t get it
It is an important facet of coaching. It doesn't guarantee success, but getting talent is almost always a prerequisite to having a successful team. I mean...wouldn't you rather have a bunch of high level players come in instead of a bunch of scrubs?

I agree that it is time for Forbes to achieve team results and not just individual player development, but to succeed he needs talented players, and identifying underused and undeveloped talent is a strong point.

Well we've been a million miles better than the teams under Manning despite similar (some years worse?) high school recruiting. So there's that at least. It's also done a hell of a lot of good for Jake Laravia, Alondes Williams, Tyree Appleby, and Hunter Sallis.

But yeah, we haven't made the NCAAT yet, thanks for the reminder!

He's called that because he's brought pieces in that were overlooked (by other schools and in the portal rankings) and they've had much improved performance.

That hasn't resulted in NCAA Tourney success, but it has certainly kept us from sucking.

Not sure you could argue otherwise. Definitely a valid criticism of Forbes as a head coach that we haven't made the NCAA Tourney, but I don't think it's because of the players he's pulled out of the portal.

Alondes Williams - Nothingburger
Jake LaRavia - Nice player in the MWC
Andrew Carr - Nice role player from Delaware
Tyree Appleby - Chucker
Boopie Miller - Mix Tape Middle Schooler
Hunter Sallis - 5-star bust
Efton Reid - 5-star bust (and potential headcase)

I mean, there have been misses... But that's a pretty strong record of bringing in players without a lot of hype (or with a lot of perceived baggage).

Small correction. Manning approached Duncan for advice. Duncan graduated in 1997. Manning graduated in 1998.
Good point. However, with Manning’s ego, and Tim’s lack thereof, I can definitely see him trying to find a way to reverse this narrative.

It's getting to the point here that unless you make the NCAA Tournament, you are dead to a segment of our fanbase. With that bright-line test, everything is so easy to judge. Under that test, Coach Forbes has failed through year 4.

That said, those that actually endured WF basketball from 2011 through the present, must admit the stark difference between the following two things:

• 2011-2020: WF was 80 games under .500 in the ACC and has won an average of 4.7 ACC games a season
  • 2022-24: WF is 8 games over .500 in the ACC and has won an average of 11.1 a season
(note: acknowledging that the 2021 COVID season is omitted and that the ACC now plays 20 conference games a year instead of 18; even so the improvement is real).

As detailed in ATS's post, Forbes ability to work the portal has been the key to this improvement. Feel like the program is close to getting over the NCAA Tournament hump, and this year's portal class may hopefully get us there.

Back