• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Yeah I think overall the RTQ team only goes off of what the staff tells them. Obviously something changed from that post a week and a half ago, and when he made his decision. Not sure whether that's money, something internal, or something external (wants to be closer to home for example).

Don't think it's really fair to be critical of the RTQ info that's coming in. They're not blowing smoke from what I can tell - they're communicating the best information they have at the time. Obviously the information is situational and timely and can change quickly given the nature of the beast that is the portal.
#analysis

I hate to say it, but I don't think the players really care anymore about the team success. Which is pretty much where I am as well. The heck with this "college sports" thing.

These guys aren't going to turn down a $100k raise because their team made it to the Sweet 16 or something.

This was what Nick Saban strongly hinted at as the reason for his retirement.
Yes. Half the players on his team were going to opt out of the bowl game to look ahead to the possibility of transferring. Most were highly recruited 2nd teamers who wanted to cash in. The hell with trying to win a game. It's silly to blame Forbes. Saban is I think a pretty good coach and he couldn't keep his players. It's the screwed up system. Which is why I didn't watch a total of 1 hour of college basketball this season, and I have had season tickets more years than not over the last 30 years.

kind of like the good ole days when players had some loyalty to the school. But money talks and being able to change teams year after year is a joke. Perhaps a happy medium can be reached because the direction things are going in now really sucks.

kind of like the good ole days when players had some loyalty to the school. But money talks and being able to change teams year after year is a joke. Perhaps a happy medium can be reached because the direction things are going in now really sucks.
Well we need to figure out why it sucks for Wake, yet Miami, FAU, SDSU, and State can make the Final Four and Villanova, Gonzaga, and Creighton are top programs from year to year.

I hate to say it, but I don't think the players really care anymore about the team success. Which is pretty much where I am as well. The heck with this "college sports" thing.

These guys aren't going to turn down a $100k raise because their team made it to the Sweet 16 or something.
Having listened to a lot of podcasts by former college basketball players in the previous year, I have to agree with you, with a caveat.

On the whole, recruits and transfers are now making their decisions based almost solely on
money and professional outlook. Having said that, those players still care about their teammates and care about winning in the moment.

To put it bluntly, there is almost nothing about a specific college experience that’s going to compete with making hundreds of thousands of dollars more somewhere else. This is a free agent market.

Well we need to figure out why it sucks for Wake, yet Miami, FAU, SDSU, and State can make the Final Four.
all about getting hot at the right time which has not been our thing. what would really suck if we ever did make a run and then half our team entered the portal. Either way rebuilding year after year just isn't fun for coaches or fans.

Having listened to a lot of podcasts by former college basketball players in the previous year, I have to agree with you, with a caveat.

On the whole, recruits and transfers are now making their decisions based almost solely on
money and professional outlook. Having said that, those players still care about their teammates and care about winning in the moment.

To put it bluntly, there is almost nothing about a specific college experience that’s going to compete with making hundreds of thousands of dollars more somewhere else. This is a free agent market.
No matter how you feel about college and learning, it's always been a step toward making money.

I'm sure a lot of the complainers here had no problem sending their kid to the school that gave them the best scholarship offer. And if a better university came along with a full ride, they would have encouraged their kid to transfer too.

On that note, we should discuss how social media plays a role in promoting transfer. It's much easier to stay in touch with people so it's not as hard to leave friends behind for an extra $100K or whatever.

I don't hate that the players are getting paid. I hate that the NCAA fought it for so long that the whole system flew apart at the seams as soon as there was a crack in the armor. They could have easily put in a relatively low cost payment system for players and it would have largely satisfied most everyone. Instead, in the effort to exploit players as much as they could for as long as they could, they instead lost complete control over everything.

No matter how you feel about college and learning, it's always been a step toward making money.

I'm sure a lot of the complainers here had no problem sending their kid to the school that gave them the best scholarship offer. And if a better university came along with a full ride, they would have encouraged their kid to transfer too.

On that note, we should discuss how social media plays a role in promoting transfer. It's much easier to stay in touch with people so it's not as hard to leave friends behind for an extra $100K or whatever.

Great point. My son could have gone to Wake. He also got into William and Mary early decision. I begged him to go to WM at 22k per year rather than WFU at 55k per year. He made the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This system is not good for most players either. Players are transferring once, twice, etc. for an extra $50k here or $100k there - most of them are not going to play professionally - or, if they do, it will be overseas for a few years or something. Then what? I know a college degree may not be what it once was, but, all this transferring leads to a lot of credits being lost and a lot of kids never graduating. Some of them certainly do - the ones that stay of top of the whole process and stay focused on the goal of getting a degree. But a lot are losing sight of that goal and just chasing the short term money. Good for them and maybe it will all work out for them in the end - but if anything, this new system has schools even less interested in looking out for the long term good of the athletes.

Don’t know about this. Hard to believe colleges have really cared about most of these athletes. Coaches and universities have been cashing big checks for a long time and the players got nothing. If I was a player in this system and I could make 50k to 200k over 2-3 years, I would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope, come late March 2025, we look back at tax day 2024 as the period of least hope this offseason. Later transfers will have propelled us to a deep tournament run and we will think it was silly how despondent we were.

I'm with others in fearing that we might have entered a death spiral though.

whatever expedites the divorce of sports from school for hoops and football i'm all for

burn it down

I think they said 70th or 80th percentile, but if that number includes anyone but the ACC, SEC, B10-12, then who cares.

Hypothetical: Would you rather watch low-level, fairly regional pro sports or amateur athletes competing for your school?

The baseball model works best as an analogy. Are you going to be more invested in WF baseball or the Winston-Salem Dash?

The money only works if you capitalize on people's loyalty and fanhood to their universities but the process is, for a lot of folks, destroying that fanhood by killing the original premise.

Back