• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

How does eligibility matter anymore?
I have made this point. What exactly can the ncaa legally enforce anymore? they can't, or dont want, to try enforcing any sort of transfer rule. why can't an ex-nba player finish his degree and play college basketball while at it?? What court is going to deny anyone the right to play college basketball and profit from their name?

College sports is dead. It’s a worse product than the pros while at the same time operating with completely ludicrous rules. Imagine if you followed a professional team in a league that had no salary cap, no contracts, every player was a free agent at the end of the season, and the players salary was crowdsourced from fans. The only thing holding college sports together is nostalgia for what use to be and dumb loyalty to a school brand, both are fading.

College sports is dead. It’s a worse product than the pros while at the same time operating with completely ludicrous rules. Imagine if you followed a professional team in a league that had no salary cap, no contracts, every player was a free agent at the end of the season, and the players salary was crowdsourced from fans. The only thing holding college sports together is nostalgia for what use to be and dumb loyalty to a school brand, both are fading.

It's really hard to get very enthused to pay thousands in season tickets for both football and basketball given the current situation of college athletics and even a more dire situation for Wake. I don't think I'm being too dramatic regarding Wake. The current trend is very concerning.

It’s interesting because it’s also an opportunity for certain schools to break into the big time just sheerly through pure fundraising and spending. Like what if you never had a shot but now can just spend your way into potential greatness? SMU will be a good test case of this.

Can't blame the players at all. If transfers lose credits and don't get a degree, they should have made enough money to reach into their pockets, write a check to their local state university, and finish their degree online.
Certainly can't blame Hunter Sallis for going pro. Couldn't blame RoRo 30 years ago or CP3 20 years ago.
I don't blame Carr anymore than I blamed Hartman. Both are Wake grads. I hope they both get/got life-changing money, especially since neither is likely to play very long in US professional leagues.

Kent's post a few pages ago pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not at all certain I want Wake Forest to be part of a semi-professional sports organization. I am absolutely certain I do not want Wake to be an also-ran in that sort of organization.

Can't blame the players at all. If transfers lose credits and don't get a degree, they should have made enough money to reach into their pockets, write a check to their local state university, and finish their degree online.
Certainly can't blame Hunter Sallis for going pro. Couldn't blame RoRo 30 years ago or CP3 20 years ago.
I don't blame Carr anymore than I blamed Hartman. Both are Wake grads. I hope they both get/got life-changing money, especially since neither is likely to play very long in US professional leagues.

Kent's post a few pages ago pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not at all certain I want Wake Forest to be part of a semi-professional sports organization. I am absolutely certain I do not want Wake to be an also-ran in that sort of organization.

Isn't that also what ND has said about all this semi-pro pay for play with no guardrails NCAA chaos??

This is beautifully stated. Well done sir.

This sums up my feelings exactly

It’s interesting because it’s also an opportunity for certain schools to break into the big time just sheerly through pure fundraising and spending. Like what if you never had a shot but now can just spend your way into potential greatness? SMU will be a good test case of this.

Assuming the ACC is still a thing, and the NIL and transfer rules don’t change, I’ll be shocked if SMU doesn’t win a conference championship in either football or basketball by 2029. I’d bet it is more likely they win at least one in both sports than that they win in neither.

It's really hard to get very enthused to pay thousands in season tickets for both football and basketball given the current situation of college athletics and even a more dire situation for Wake. I don't think I'm being too dramatic regarding Wake. The current trend is very concerning.
So guess you are saying you are not interested in this exciting new offer from AD?….

“NEW: Annual Seat Rights Program Announced at Men's Basketball”

Maybe we play the long game and RTQ just saves all our NIL money in an interest-bearing fund for like 15-20 years, then we strategically blow our entire wad in a single season, buy the 5 best players in college basketball to form a single-season, $25 million super team.
And still make the NIT

Back