• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

I am glad your 1 hour viewing allowed you to form a well versed opinion of the state of college basketball.

If you count on two years from a player you are a fool. Forbes may love his players but it doesn't appear that they love him.

Love and money are not mutually exclusive, are they?

College basketball is now a job-centered pursuit. As Tina Turner posed, "What's love got to do with it?"

Can't really blame Forbes. The new rules and structure of college sports is not do our benefit in football and basketball. Programs like ours are farm teams for better programs. Only a handful of teams can pick and pay who they want, and they can get any single one of our players at any time. The only way 99% of college teams were competitive was to recruit smartly and find under the radar guys, develop players, and build teams/experience over time. That is all gone now.

Love and money are not mutually exclusive, are they?

College basketball is now a job-centered pursuit. As Tina Turner posed, "What's love got to do with it?"

She also said: You know, every now and then I think you might like to hear something from us nice and easy. But there's just one thing, you see; we never ever do nothin' nice and easy. We always do it nice and rough. And we're gonna take the beginning of this song and do it easy, but then we're gonna do the finish rough.

What's funny (and sad) to me is that almost every single program in the country is having boards meltdowns about this right now some for football and some for basketball. Almost identical conversations about inability to compete in this landscape save maybe 5-10 (?) programs. It's unlikely that 300+ programs "can't compete", so time to adapt or die.

What's funny (and sad) to me is that almost every single program in the country is having boards meltdowns about this right now some for football and some for basketball. Almost identical conversations about inability to compete in this landscape save maybe 5-10 (?) programs. It's unlikely that 300+ programs "can't compete", so time to adapt or die.
I actually think it's exactly that. Which is why in football they want to have a small group of elites and pretty much everything else will not matter. Basketball I guess will be the same.

Wonder if the non-power 2 schools could start over and create a reasonable model that works.

I actually think it's exactly that. Which is why in football they want to have a small group of elites and pretty much everything else will not matter. Basketball I guess will be the same.

Wonder if the non-power 2 schools could start over and create a reasonable model that works.
What does it mean to "work". I sincerely doubt that georgia, bama, tosu, etc. give fuck all shits about the system working for purdue or vanderbilt.

I think the "ability to compete" is the moving target. Can we win a football natty in the current landscape? Almost certainly not, but that's nothing new. What do the greedy dirtbags in Atlanta and Indianapolis do to the NCAAT is the question.

? Ya lost me. I commented on the state of college basketball on a thread where I come to see how others feel, which actually explains why I didn't watch any.
Nope, sorry. We respect expertise around here. You are only allowed to post about guitars. Those are the rules.

Can't really blame Forbes. The new rules and structure of college sports is not do our benefit in football and basketball. Programs like ours are farm teams for better programs. Only a handful of teams can pick and pay who they want, and they can get any single one of our players at any time. The only way 99% of college teams were competitive was to recruit smartly and find under the radar guys, develop players, and build teams/experience over time. That is all gone now.
JFC. Not blaming Forbes and putting absolutely no pressure on him is why we are in this mess. He is the one who pushed our use of portal players to the forefront over HS recruiting. And then he failed to win with them. What did he think was going to happen? If you fuck a known whore, you can't get upset when she leaves you for the next john, you knew what you were dealing with.

If we had made the tournament, we would be a much better destination for both those incoming and those already here. But, we continue to be an irrelevant program, so we are just a stepping stone for players who want to get real exposure. Had we won, we would have more traction.

He should have been fired already, and how this is playing out just confirms that more and more each day.

What does it mean to "work". I sincerely doubt that georgia, bama, tosu, etc. give fuck all shits about the system working for purdue or vanderbilt.

I think the "ability to compete" is the moving target. Can we win a football natty in the current landscape? Almost certainly not, but that's nothing new. What do the greedy dirtbags in Atlanta and Indianapolis do to the NCAAT is the question.
Right, those handful of schools don't care, don't have to, and they can run a 30 team professional football league. Like the one we already have. Everyone else is going to have to figure something else out.

Everyone always talks about all this money schools make. But the schools keep hitting us all up for more money, and we have NIL to pay for, and ticket prices going through the roof, yet we still don't have enough money to pay players to play for us. Players bounce around in a way even professional leagues wouldn't tolerate.

TV is killing everything. Attendance is down, we play teams all over the place that nobody really cares about making it more expensive to fund programs, traditional rivalries are going away, we play at the weirdest times of day/week just to stream on a service for a handful of us to watch. This whole thing has been a disaster.

JFC. Not blaming Forbes and putting absolutely no pressure on him is why we are in this mess. He is the one who pushed our use of portal players to the forefront over HS recruiting. And then he failed to win with them. What did he think was going to happen? If you fuck a known whore, you can't get upset when she leaves you for the next john, you knew what you were dealing with.

If we had made the tournament, we would be a much better destination for both those incoming and those already here. But, we continue to be an irrelevant program, so so we are just a stepping stone for players who want to get real exposure. Had we won, we would have more traction.

He should have been fired already, and how this is playing out just confirms that more and more each day.
Wasn't really my point. Fire away. Might be a good idea to hire somebody now before we are playing in the Southern Conference in two years.

If we had made the tournament, we would be a much better destination for both those incoming and those already here. But, we continue to be an irrelevant program, so we are just a stepping stone for players who want to get real exposure. Had we won, we would have more traction.

I feel attacked.

Signed,
1713273403021.png

Why the fuck would you need to watch basketball to comment on transfers and NIL. Nothing in this thread about roster construction requires watching a game so fuck off with your holy better than you poster shit.
This is literally a thread about a college basketball team. Yeah if you don't watch CBB why the fuck would you be talking about it or care about it?

I am glad your 1 hour viewing allowed you to form a well versed opinion of the state of college basketball.
I didnt form an opinion on how the game is being played on the court. Can't help you there these days. I have formed an opinion/feeling on the state of college basketball/athletics, which I believe is not only shared by many but is most likely to be the opinion of people who also didnt watch. You're trying too hard and missing the obvious. Good for you that you don't share it and you still maintain interest and also watch. Wish I felt the same.

Back