• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Geez. I thought sliding on a wooden floor for a loose ball gave some burns. I can't imagine doing the same thing and getting a rug burn. Ouch.

MEMORY LANE: Nothing to do with recruiting: 1950s early 60s HS girls basketball played 6 on the court. Three guards, three forwards. Guards guarded the basket & forwards shot the ball. Neither could cross the mid-court line.
No one could dribble more than twice, then pass the ball. SLOW, SLOW game. Slower than Dean Smith's four corners.

I have been incredibly invested. That’s why I’ve been donating every month. But I’m started to question if it’s a wasted effort. We allegedly have a lot of money and we’ve had a ton of key defections at this point. How can we not keep a kid who write an entire essay saying he’d like to work for Forbes? It seems futile.

Perhaps because Carr's decision had little to nothing to do with NIL?

It's 100% your call whether or not to donate. That's up to you.

But how does giving the staff fewer resources to work with in the current pay for play environment help the program get back to the tournament?

But how does giving the staff fewer resources to work with in the current pay for play environment help the program get back to the tournament?
It doesn’t. I guess my point is that I don’t think it’s happening period.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Carr's decision has anything to do with NIL to be honest. He graduated and is probably(?) looking to play back home for one final ride. It never really seemed to me as if he cared all too much about the money. Can't fault him for what he's doing, assuming he winds up back home.

I know Wake is not unique in losing a lot of players these days, but, it feels like an awful lot of our players take the first opportunity to get the hell out of Dodge. There are other places where players stay - even when expected to leave - why not Wake? Duke and UNC are two obvious examples - is it because they have had more success so the players are motivated to stay and enjoy the ride a little more? I honestly don't know but the departures of Boopie and now Carr really hit hard this year. Once again, unless Forbes pulls in a pretty amazing portal haul, next years will be another year of what ifs...

Forbes bears the burden of our struggles, Just as he gets to take most of the credit for our successes.

That said, The guy absolutely has not caught a single break since he has been at Wake. From a personal standpoint (Johnetta), being hired during a pandemic, taking over an absolute dumpster fire of a program, having seedy agents and handlers convince star players to leave (Bobi), Not getting the benefit of the doubt to make the tournament because the ACC narrative is that we are "down".

Despite the in game questionable coaching, I really don't think we could have a better option as a coach during these weird rent a player times that we are living in. He is built for this type of thing... I honestly think we will end up doing well with him as our coach..
How is he built for this type of thing? He hasn't had any success doing it. If he is built for this situation, what are the 64 coaches who have made the tournament every year he has been here built for? That is probably 100+ coaches who are doing it better than he does. How about we find the assembly line they rolled off of and go find a coach who was built there.

It doesn’t. I guess my point is that I don’t think it’s happening period.

What is not happening? Making the tournament?

Hate losing Carr but let's see how the roster shakes out first before making predictions 11 months from now as tides can turn instantly in college hoops.

Hell... over a period of 4 weeks NC State went from firing its coach with some fans openly calling for a men's basketball boycott to it's greatest athletic accomplishment in 40 years.

If you feel strongly this isn't the staff to do it then not giving expedites the change necessary to get back to the tourney.

^^^ These are not mutually exclusive. One can recognize the system is broken as a whole but selfishly hope for short-term gain in their team's best interest.

The US Tax Code is beyond need of overhaul but everyone does a joy jump when they realize they're getting a tax refund under the current system.

JFC. Not blaming Forbes and putting absolutely no pressure on him is why we are in this mess. He is the one who pushed our use of portal players to the forefront over HS recruiting. And then he failed to win with them. What did he think was going to happen? If you fuck a known whore, you can't get upset when she leaves you for the next john, you knew what you were dealing with.

If we had made the tournament, we would be a much better destination for both those incoming and those already here. But, we continue to be an irrelevant program, so we are just a stepping stone for players who want to get real exposure. Had we won, we would have more traction.

He should have been fired already, and how this is playing out just confirms that more and more each day.
Using your criteria, a vast majority of D-1 coaches should be fired. This would include most coaches that made the tournament.

Many programs are losing players in similar numbers to Wake.

Forbes is not the main problem!

MEMORY LANE: Nothing to do with recruiting: 1950s early 60s HS girls basketball played 6 on the court. Three guards, three forwards. Guards guarded the basket & forwards shot the ball. Neither could cross the mid-court line.
No one could dribble more than twice, then pass the ball. SLOW, SLOW game. Slower than Dean Smith's four corners.
These were still the rules for the Women's High School games in Iowa when my family moved there in the early 90s.

I can't remember a scholarship player as overlooked/forgotten as Canka.

I mean, it's been earned in that he's not been particularly memorable/impactful. But it's going to be hilarious when he explodes next season and makes an All-ACC team.
Canka could surprise next year. In his extended minutes in the Georgia game, the last game of the year, his athleticism stood out.

If you feel strongly this isn't the staff to do it then not giving expedites the change necessary to get back to the tourney.

Yeah - I'm sure little to no NIL support will be VERY attractive to the next coach hired to replace Forbes to get Wake back into the tourney.

These were still the rules for the Women's High School games in Iowa when my family moved there in the early 90s.
Probably were here too but I graduated in 1962 & didn't go to the games anymore, so wasn't sure.

Back