• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

How many players end up holding a bag of shit at the end of this song and dance if there’s over 1000 in the portal?
A lot, particularly with the extra Covid year still giving extra eligibility. Some of those guys end up not playing; others go down to D2 or NAIA. There are more players in the portal than available spots.

So if that tweet is accurate where an average Power 6 starter is seeing about $175,000, then it would be hard not give Boopie side eye if he came to the meeting and asked for anywhere need $500k. I am not sure what it will take to "wrap up" Cam for his senior year, but if he bounces, that will be a huge loss.
I feel like there is a lot of coping and revisionism going on with the Boopie NIL discussion. Kid was a sophomore and averaged 16.5, 3.5ast on 46.5/37/85% shooting in the ACC. His overall scoring efficiency was higher than Sallis’s.

It was fun for a day when it looked like only VT had lost their entire roster. This is how college basketball is now. Just brand new rosters after each season.

It was fun for a day when it looked like only VT had lost their entire roster. This is how college basketball is now. Just brand new rosters after each season.
I surmise in the future every year will be basically one and done! No continuity until the powers in control change the protocol.

you are correct, charlotte does not have any beaches
sandy-ground-anguilla.jpg

This is the view from @guitardeac's house on Lake Norman. Solid Beach.

Go to the first page, look at how many players other ACC teams are also losing, and take a deep breath
Other ACC teams losing a bunch of players looks bad for them, but Wake losing a bunch of players is alrigth.
just you wait

Yeah. The McCray talk suggests otherwise.

Well the RTQNIL account has already implied that we don't need to worry about Reid or Carr. And it's certainly not impossible that Sallis returns if his current second round draft grade doesn't improve over the next few weeks.
It would have been nice to prioritize a player with more than one year of eligibility left. But I guess that doesn't mean much anymore.

I feel like there is a lot of coping and revisionism going on with the Boopie NIL discussion. Kid was a sophomore and averaged 16.5, 3.5ast on 46.5/37/85% shooting in the ACC. His overall scoring efficiency was higher than Sallis’s.
Agreed. I don't think Boopie Is the kind of player who would help us win a game in the elite 8 due to his physical limitations... But he was a damn good ACC point guard in my opinion. And we haven't been to the elite eight in 100 years. So

Unless you are Chris Paul or Ish Smith, small guards like that struggle in big time games when the opposition has big athletic guards. I would love Boopie to not transfer, but there is a chance our team could improve and physicality and toughness with his departure.

Imagine if either Name Redacted or Manning were responsible for putting together teams in today's college basketball / NIL environment.

I trust Forbes will put the best team on the court that he can next year. I think a lot of people discount the impact of his wife's stroke. I know if my wife had a stroke, my job performance would suffer. Like all of us, I'm disappointed Wake didn't make the tournament. But considering the circumstances, I can't criticize Forbes too heavily.

The more I think about it, Boopie may have not been the greatest influence on team chemistry. He played really well the first half of the year, versus BC and Miami, in particular. You would have to assume this is something he's thought about for a while. Maybe the desire to get paid didn't have the best effect on the team, especially later in the year. Those type of things end up permeating, even if they aren't voiced outright.

I feel like there have been small guards who have played well in the Elite 8 recently.

To me, Boopie’s biggest problem in games against better teams is that he got incredibly loose with the ball and would turn it over a lot. I never really understood why since he seemed to be a good ball handler, but it seemed to impact his confidence and the rest of his game in those matchups.

All Hypothetical numbers, but pretty much the roster process coaches will have to follow now. From other comments we can assume we have between $1.5M and $2.0M for the upcoming season.

Let's say $1.8M

Top player - Sallis: $550k (comment was made that we'd be able to support something at $500k+ to help him return)
Player 2 - Reid: $300k
Player 3 - Carr: $225k
Player 4 - Cam: $225k
Player 5 - Portal PG: $175k (P5 average starter?)
Player 6 - Portal Wing: $125k
Player 7 - Portal Backup Big: $50k
Player 8 - PF - $50k
Player 9 - Juke $50k
Players 10-13: Marion, Canka, Portal Bench, Late Hs/Intl - $12.5k each

Say Boopie wanted $400k and Depaul or someone is going to give it to him -- we'd have to choose between players 5-7 or losing one of Reid/Carr/Cam in order to keep him. Hard choices and will depend on us getting effective players for it to work out - but choices that have to be made in this new world.

Sallis makes this complicated. Do we set aside that much of our normal budget for him - or would we spend more on incoming players and have some donor ready with "backup" dollars just for him. If the former, it's potentially limiting in who we go after now. And if he decides to stay in the draft late (the most likely outcome), almost all of the players worth that kind of haul would have signed elsewhere. So we'd take the hit next year when we really need to make our mark, rolling the dollars into the following year's pot.

A parent of a student visited with me a week or so ago and commented her student said the word around campus was there was dissension on the team. FWIW

Back