• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

The NCAA has totally fucked college sports.

By focusing on protecting an outdated notion of “amateurism” to protect their role and $$$. Meanwhile they allowed parity, competitiveness, rivalries, stability, etc to erode because everyone else is chasing money.

The NCAA could have established a system that allowed athletes to get paid and they chose not to do so. They also could have taken a more active role in brokering TV deals. Now it seems like the NCAA has no real role because the courts shoot down everything they try to do.

Last edited:
“This NIL free agent system where the fans have to pay college players, instead of them being employees of the school, really doesn’t make sense and is ruining the sport” I say as I ride in my privately contracted Uber to a restaurant where the servers make 2.50/hr + tips.

Ok, left for a few hours…no other desertions?

This might be harsh, but I’m ok with everyone having entered the portal from our side except for Monsanto and Boopie (I’m assuming Canka enters soon as well). I hope they all go on to do well, but we need depth and talent to win when it counts next season. Forbes has a tall task ahead of him - possibly the most difficult rebuild since he’s been here.

Let's be honest, not every team that is keeping their coach has 6 transfers. VT has 6 and it's alarming for them. All other ACC schools are less at this point.

We're in a strong position re NIL and are still having massive roster turnover. It's either Forbes' choice or he is unable to retain these guys.

It's concerning because depth was an issue.

I would argue that Boopie isn’t exactly a down the bench player. Do you disagree?

Of course. My understanding of the conversation was talking shout developing depth.

I don’t think we have an epidemic of losing stat players here (yet) either. I think it’s ok to acknowledge boopie’s transfer is an outlier for now.

Also it’s a new era without the waivers. I would expect to see players transfer from some of the 16 teams still playing now. Hell State already lost a guy.

My concern at the moment is that we are looking at a repeat of this year. Maybe a healthy Cam, improvement from Parker/MMM and contribution from Juke will help us take the next step. But I’ll be really impressed if we can replace Sallis, upgrade at PG (still won’t really have a backup there) and find another quality C for depth.

The thing that seems most obvious now is that Wake needs to choose to focus the vast majority of its resources on basketball over football if it hopes to really win and/or stay relevant in either revenue sport. Totally fine by me. Football had a historically/relatively great run for nearly 20 years.

I think all we have going forward should be dumped into men’s and women’s hoops first; baseball, golf, tennis, soccer, etc. second; and just ride the “we are part of the ACC and have great facilities” mantra in football for as long as the ACC exists.

If the landscape changes and some sense of normalcy returns, adjust accordingly. But if there are going to be no rules whatsoever with NIL the key, gotta focus on the sports with the fewest players needed for success.

Of course. My understanding of the conversation was talking shout developing depth.

I don’t think we have an epidemic of losing stat players here (yet) either. I think it’s ok to acknowledge boopie’s transfer is an outlier for now.

Also it’s a new era without the waivers. I would expect to see players transfer from some of the 16 teams still playing now. Hell State already lost a guy.

The epidemic is players leaving prematurely, usually after one season. Boopie is just the first to go into the portal.

The epidemic is players leaving prematurely, usually after one season. Boopie is just the first to go into the portal.

Right. Every team does and will deal with players leaving early. Either to the portal or the league.

I think the main objective out of the transfer portal was PG, luckily that has not changed as we thought boopie would be better off the bench. So I would hope we have put the effort in already and not having to catch up on PGs.

Who are the top options? I also think that C from Wisconsin should get a look. I think he was from NC. I believe he RS last year, so 4 left!

Back