• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

We took a break after the end of the regular season, but the BOTG is finally back. An hour + of Wake Forest discussion including: the end of the season, Steve Forbes' comments on what went wrong, the transfer portal, what the Deacs need to do to get back to the NCAAT and more.

Available below:

Would be beneficial if you guys could do an update with all the breaking news with players entering the portal. Any updates from the coaching staff would be appreciated also.

The thing that seems most obvious now is that Wake needs to choose to focus the vast majority of its resources on basketball over football if it hopes to really win and/or stay relevant in either revenue sport. Totally fine by me. Football had a historically/relatively great run for nearly 20 years.

I think all we have going forward should be dumped into men’s and women’s hoops first; baseball, golf, tennis, soccer, etc. second; and just ride the “we are part of the ACC and have great facilities” mantra in football for as long as the ACC exists.

If the landscape changes and some sense of normalcy returns, adjust accordingly. But if there are going to be no rules whatsoever with NIL the key, gotta focus on the sports with the fewest players needed for success.
So let’s put the most money into the one sport we haven’t been good in? That makes no sense at all. We’ve proven we can compete in the others. Keep doing it.

So let’s put the most money into the one sport we haven’t been good in? That makes no sense at all. We’ve proven we can compete in the others. Keep doing it.

The “great success” of our average football season during this unprecedented run is basically the equivalent of this year’s men’s bb “success” - middle of the road for a P5 school. It just feels differently because we sucked so badly for so long in football.

If that is the goal, keep prioritizing football. I don’t think even that is sustainable in the full on NIL world, unfortunately.

Math is math, after all.

Right. Every team does and will deal with players leaving early. Either to the portal or the league.

Do other teams lose key contributors who aren’t NBA prospects like Wake does? Even before the portal era, we lost players transfer and middling pro prospects.

The “great success” of our average football season during this unprecedented run is basically the equivalent of this year’s men’s bb “success” - middle of the road for a P5 school. It just feels differently because we sucked so badly for so long in football.

If that is the goal, keep prioritizing football. I don’t think even that is sustainable in the full on NIL world, unfortunately.

Math is math, after all.
An ACC Championship and another appearance are not the equivalent of an NIT appearance. Neither is a CWS appearance.

Do other teams lose key contributors who aren’t NBA prospects like Wake does? Even before the portal era, we lost players transfer and middling pro prospects.

Interesting question. I don’t know the answer. Good teams don’t because their key contributors are generally better and get to the league.

Seems like VPI just lost a bunch today? But point taken we just seem to have bad luck with people leaving early (Klintman) or blowing up quickly before we get to reap significant benefit (Collins)

An ACC Championship and another appearance are not the equivalent of an NIT appearance. Neither is a CWS appearance.

You do understand what the phrase “average football season” means, correct? Agreed, if we were playing for ACC Championship annually, or even every couple of years, we should go all in. But we did that twice in the 20 year run. The AVERAGE season during that run was very similar to this year’s basketball season, which is what I said.

The Orange Bowl was awesome to attend. I’ve been all in during the football run. Great fun.

I just think it is relatively easier, given the nature of NIL, and in particular the size of the rosters, for our school with our alumni base to be great in basketball as opposed to close-to-good in football. I’d rather be great in one and let the other die than strive for sustained mediocrity in both. Math is math.

If Sallis returns next year and has another great year, and eventually does well in the NBA, that might be enough.
if he returns then he's going to be the Player of the Year in the ACC. And nation. Likely Player of the World. Probably Player of the Solar System. And an outside chance for Player of the Universe.

Hang it.

College Basketball is an absolute mess! Why the federal government can’t step in and fix this mess is inconceivable. It’s not even fun to rout for Wake anymore because you don’t get to grow with a team. These players constantly coming and going because their ego think the grass is greener somewhere else. Fuck all these money grabbing kids that don’t give a fuck about a quality education. They are going to look back and say damn, I should have graduated from Wake but now I can’t play in the league and work the graveyard shift at Walmart!
9xDeac is the new 8xDeac?

Also, you kinda suck, dude.

If he comes back then all boards posters have to change their handles to some variation of Hunter Sallis. I call HunterSallis69420

Caleb Love is an interesting comparison to Boopie. Player with some obvious flaws that the fanbase is mixed on. Potential is there. Looking for a better opportunity.
I’d take boopie over love

that Caleb love gets national recognition is crazy

Back