• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

It’s not a surprise that Wake Forest has to be strategic with resources. If your average ACC payroll is $1-3M and your average player can demand upwards of $750K, then decisions have to be made. If our offer was functionally the 4th or 5th value slot on our payroll, and Boopie was receiving interest elsewhere slotted at 1st or 2nd, then he makes the call to leave. It seems most agree that there are 3-4 players more valuable than Boopie to retain and/or recruit.
Yep. It's now like any other professional sport, except with no long term contracts. It has been reported that Boopie wanted more than what WF could allocate for him, while remaining competitive with other priority players on the roster. Also, not sure how other returning players would feel if Boopie's NIL payout greatly exceeded their's. Will be interesting to see if Boopie actually gets an offer at or near the level that he sought from WF.

I liked Boopie a lot and wish he was coming back. It's also not hard to imagine improvement at that position with the guys (we think) are returning and Forbes ability in the portal.

Are kidding me? This is all about the Benjamins. If DePaul offers the most money, Boopie will be playing for 9th place in the Big East with a big stash in his pocket.
I think they were referring to Kugel listing UConn, Zona, Kansas and Houston as his final 4.

Yeah it is important. But to hes not nearly as important than Cam, Reid, Carr, or Sallis.
Agreed - If any of these 4 leave to the portal specifically (besides Sallis declaring for the draft which is obviously likely), I will actually be concerned. But for now, none of these guys that opted out should be shocking. Cant wait for vibes to be back up in the next month

Sallis is gone. I really hope people have realistic expectations there. Obviously there’s an opportunity for a miraculous surprise, but considering him gone is the right play.
He may be, but can’t blame the staff or RTQ for wanting to prioritize bringing him back or any of the other 3 over Boopie.

This new model of college basketball me wonder when is the next time Wake will have a player whose stats are good enough, and who's here long enough, and who accomplishes enough, to merit jersey retirement.

Sure. I would assume dollars are allocated for Sallis or replacement almost certainly, @RollTheQuadNIL.
Must be tremendously difficult to know how much NIL money to allocate to your current and incoming players, when one of them will end up either taking the majority of it, or none of it.

This new model of college basketball me wonder when is the next time Wake will have a player whose stats are good enough, and who's here long enough, and who accomplishes enough, to merit jersey retirement.
It will be rare. Guys who are good enough will most likely be gone to NBA after a season or two. Those who stay probably won't have the stats.

That was likely true with the NBA anyway.

Back