• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Not at all surprised about Boopie. The writing was on the wall when his mom posted about his lack of playing time during the State loss in Raleigh.

Boopie was not gonna have a reduced role. He produced a pretty high level as an ACC PG esp as a sophomore. It's a loss. Sucks but this is what it is now.

Who is giving money to a guy that put up 15.6/3.5/2.8 on 37% 3P%, 46% FG%, 85% FT% in the ACC? I don't know, anybody with the money?

We can't simultaneously be excited for next year with Boopie as an important piece and dismissive that he isn't actually that good once he leaves. Boopie is a very good college player that is going to help a team win if he lands in a decent situation.

i've been trying to temper my anti-boopie takes this season because i was afraid i would be persecuted for my beliefs.

but now that he's gone i can say it out loud -- in my opinion, boopie has no business playing point guard on a good team and our offense was much better when sallis (who also isn't a point guard) was handling the lead duties in the offense. overall i think he wasn't nearly as effective as his stats might suggest, and he has some "losing player / empty stats" tendencies to him.

i think he's still useful as a microwave-type bench player in the acc, but i think that was never realistic.

Boopie was not gonna have a reduced role. He produced a pretty high level as an ACC PG esp as a sophomore. It's a loss. Sucks but this is what it is now.
I think he would have had a slightly reduced role. He played 80% of the minutes this season. Forbes was (and is) absolutely going to bring in another ball handler.

Not saying he wasn't going to start and play a ton of minutes... But I'd have expected something close to 70-75% of the minutes, not 80%+.

I've posted it before, I think Boopie is a terrific 6th man, instant offense, spark of energy kind of player. I don't think he's a starting PG on a Top 25 kind of team.

Definitely didn't want to lose him, as he was only going to get better... But I don't feel like we can't be a better team next year without him.

I think he would have had a slightly reduced role. He played 80% of the minutes this season. Forbes was (and is) absolutely going to bring in another ball handler.

Not saying he wasn't going to start and play a ton of minutes... But I'd have expected something close to 70-75% of the minutes, not 80%+.
I understand this point and there’s some validity to it, but I don’t think Boopie transferred due to the potential for a 5% reduction in minutes.

He wants money, and Wake wasn’t willing to make him one of its highest NIL priorities. Seems pretty clear to me.

how is someone like boopie getting offers while not officially in the portal?

running things through an agent who is talking to NIL collectives?

Something like that, I'd assume. I mean there have been more than a handful of players that have entered the portal and announced a new home within 24 hours. Tells you there had to be prior conversations with some details on role and $$$.

I suppose it is in the realm of possibility that there was strong indication given to him that WFU portal shopping was bringing in another player at his position (which we need), and that competition for the starting job/major minutes would be wide open.

College basketball recruiting sure has a Wild West feel to it.

I refuse to let my emotional energy focus be diverted or dragged down.

It's more so an indictment of our potential than Boopie specifically. If we are not in a position to retain starting level talent, we are not in a position to succeed.

I understand this point and there’s some validity to it, but I don’t think Boopie transferred due to the potential for a 5% reduction in minutes.

He wants money, and Wake wasn’t willing to make him one of its highest NIL priorities. Seems pretty clear to me.

Exactly. I agree with you.

His earning potential is better coming off this season with 2 years left than it would be at this time next season with 1 year left.

Something like that, I'd assume. I mean there have been more than a handful of players that have entered the portal and announced a new home within 24 hours. Tells you there had to be prior conversations with some details on role and $$$.
are there relaxed rules on NIL collectives collaborating with coaches/athletic departments now?

are NIL collectives using advanced metrics to maximize their dollars -- $500k for Boopie vs. $750k for PG X with three years of eligibility, etc.

Back