• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

this

and by "every team" that includes every single G David Odom team, for those interested. I once heard the man say, "it's a lot easier to throw the guys out of the boat than to get them in the boat"
With current portal rules, it is a lot easier to cut guys loose than it was when Odom coached at Wake.

With current portal rules, it is a lot easier to cut guys loose than it was when Odom coached at Wake.
I agree. Cutting them lose is preferred. Complaining about getting talent through the portal instead of HS seems painfully out of touch with the modern landscape of college basketball.

UK fans want to pay $33M to fire a coach who is AT WORST the the third best at recruiting HS talent in CBB today because he doesn’t utilize the portal enough (among other things).

I agree. Cutting them lose is preferred. Complaining about getting talent through the portal instead of HS seems painfully out of touch with the modern landscape of college basketball.
Even when it was much more difficult, Odom still brought in transfers. Charlie Harrison and Anthony Tucker are two notable guys who transferred to Wake and sat a year. If GDO was coaching today, he would be a big portal recruiter too.

I'm not complaining about the HS recruiting, I think it's fine to have misses and its better to move on than let them sit on the bench with a scholarship for years.

But it does seem awfully obvious when a HS player is coming in with expectations to actually make an impact (PFred, Juke, Whitt) and when they are coming in as more of a project (Clark, Taylor, McCray). If the projects are just going to be gone within a year, I don't get the point of even bringing them in, especially when that scholarship could just be used in the portal.

Even when it was much more difficult, Odom still brought in transfers. Charlie Harrison and Anthony Tucker are two notable guys who transferred to Wake and sat a year. If GDO was coaching today, he would be a big portal recruiter too.
If he wouldn’t be, he wouldn’t be successful. Recruiting more experienced, proven college talent is a good thing. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills having to argue this point.

I'm not complaining about the HS recruiting, I think it's fine to have misses and its better to move on than let them sit on the bench with a scholarship for years.

But it does seem awfully obvious when a HS player is coming in with expectations to actually make an impact (PFred, Juke, Whitt) and when they are coming in as more of a project (Clark, Taylor, McCray). If the projects are just going to be gone within a year, I don't get the point of even bringing them in, especially when that scholarship could just be used in the portal.
Gotta have people to practice against. HS projects are virtually free with NIL investments, and they might work out.

Gotta have people to practice against. HS projects are virtually free with NIL investments, and they might work out.
If that's all we're doing, I'd rather take fliers on transfers like Canka. Feels like the hit rate on those would be better than taking developmental HS guys that Forbes isn't going to give the playing time to develop before they want to transfer

I assume it'll hit Twitter sometime in the next few hours.

Not gonna ruin someone else's scoop.

If that's all we're doing, I'd rather take fliers on transfers like Canka. Feels like the hit rate on those would be better than taking developmental HS guys that Forbes isn't going to give the playing time to develop before they want to transfer
Hard to get underclassmen in.

Back