• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Tremendous takes by 89deac on the other board. I’d like to be this oblivious.

“PG's are a dime a dozen. There will be 50 of them in the portal that are at or above his level so he is going to find out his actual worth.”

“Nothing "wrong" and we will have little to no trouble replacing him with as good a player. The shame in this is that it is a terrible decision for him and his future. He started every game and played 32 minutes a night. Even with another ballhandler coming in he would have gotten 25+ minutes going forward. And he had a chance to get a WF degree that is life changing. He is throwing that all away to chase NIL $ that ain't gonna be what these scumbags have told his mom. And kids who go to 3 schools rarely graduate. Lose, lose, lose for Boopie. Wake will be just fine.“

Tremendous takes by 89deac on the other board. I’d like to be this oblivious.

“PG's are a dime a dozen. There will be 50 of them in the portal that are at or above his level so he is going to find out his actual worth.”

“Nothing "wrong" and we will have little to no trouble replacing him with as good a player. The shame in this is that it is a terrible decision for him and his future. He started every game and played 32 minutes a night. Even with another ballhandler coming in he would have gotten 25+ minutes going forward. And he had a chance to get a WF degree that is life changing. He is throwing that all away to chase NIL $ that ain't gonna be what these scumbags have told his mom. And kids who go to 3 schools rarely graduate. Lose, lose, lose for Boopie. Wake will be just fine.“
It's truly remarkable how many people seem to believe that guards who shoot 35%+ from 3 and are capable of averaging 15+ PPG just are readily available.

In a Wake-specific sense, I wonder if the success of Sallis, Appleby, Williams, and Laravia has made fans delusional about how easy it is to find really, really good players in the portal.

Whatever conference Boopie is transferring to is filled with players about to get quite annoyed at his clever foul-inducing stop-motion move.

It’s what I’ll remember most about him, besides his awesome nickname.

Now, if he transfers in-conference, and any of our guys allow him to pull that move on them next year, I’m going to be very upset. Of course, that wouldn’t be the only upsetting part of that scenario.
If he transfers in-conference and pulls that move on Wake, I hope the Wake player just fully drops down on him and puts him out of the game with a minor leg injury.

So, who are some former 5-star guards that can't seem to get off the bench at their current school?

If he transfers in-conference and pulls that move on Wake, I hope the Wake player just fully drops down on him and puts him out of the game with a minor leg injury.
This is harsh, I know. Just frustrated with this portal shit. Seemed like Boopie liked Wake and I was a fan.

I remember thinking when Loren Woods transferred years ago, "Well, that's unfortunate that he's leaving us for Arizona, but I'm sure that this is a rarity for us."

College basketball was already trending in the direction of complete roster reconstruction every season. Then, the US District Court in WV struck-down the NCAA one-time free transfer rule, allowing an unlimited number of transfers, and so, with no NIL restrictions, there is complete free agency after each season. VT has a solid coach, decent fan support and has reasonably solid results, and they essentially lost their entire roster. Can understand it from the player's perspective. Boopie is a good Power Conference player, but he's not playing in the NBA. He wants to make as much money as he can with his 4 years of eligibility. He may never have the same earning power again in his life.

The good news is that Forbes and staff appear to be better than most at evaluating transfer talent and making the portal a net positive each year (and WF's collective has the funds to support the program). Even so, it sucks that there is essentially no continuity in a college basketball rosters from year to year, and it's getting worse.

Yeah, I think Boopie was probably in for a slightly reduced (or just different) role next season and is trying to maximize his value. He can certainly earn some significant $$$ somewhere else, but he's not an NBA guy. Might as well make as much as you can while you can.

Back