• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

If Monsanto is really gonna play college ball next year I hate that it's not for us. Damn.

I mean he's a complete flier at this point, if a P6 wants to take a shot with him. But very risky.

While it certainly feels more secure than previous years, it’s still probably a bad assumption given recent history that everyone except Sallis will be back.

Maybe it’s a pessimistic take, but I think it’s more likely that we get at least one out-of-nowhere departure from Reid/Carr/PFred/Boopie/Hildreth than that all 5 are on next year’s team.
I tend to agree, especially with unlimited transfers allowed for each player, meaning you don't necessarily need to be as precise with your decision making.

I hope we go after some of these ECU guys - Brandon Johnson just entered the portal today and assuming others are gonna follow. The Pirates always have a lot of high caliber players that come out of their program almost every year (Jayden Gardner/Tristan Newton/etc.) ; that program just can't seem to get it together no matter their coaching staff. I think they were even projected top half of AAC pre-season for like the first time ever, which obviously went south for them once again

Brandon Johnson or Ezra Ausar could be huge gets

Would love to get Forbes off the record take on McCray. He was such an elite athlete and strong. Putting aside his offensive numbers at Jacksonville, he had the body to play with Leggett.

Before the transfer portal/NIL era when everyone is expected to contibute right away, he was the type of kid that would develop to a power conference contributor over time. Know OGB disagrees, but think he be back in a Power Conference before his college career ends.

FWIW, Jacksonville did play Purdue this year and McCray scored 22. They also played Pitt (the Panthers rolled), McCray had 9 points and 3 boards.
Rob's definitely a power conference caliber player. Great shooter, (obviously) insane athlete, just not refined enough with his handle and decision making to see the court here (at least, assumedly, in the staffs' eyes). A guy like Taylor got playing time over him last year bc his game is more adapted to playing in the system, moving the ball, and not trying to do too much. If you have Rob on the floor, he's not the type of player to play so conservatively, which can (and in his case IMO, did) hurt you as a young player at the college level.

Even if he transfers in-conference and hangs 40 on us, it'll still be a relief not to have to worry about his recovery, attitude, expectations, position, minutes, availability, buy-in, relationship with Forbes, role, and a dozen other things during the entire off-season.

I think he could be really successful as a bench/role player on a good team that doesn't need him in the spotlight. I suspect he'll want star-status and guaranteed minutes somewhere more desperate though.

Damari is not going to get the same NIL offers that he could have gotten from transferring a few years ago. He's had two major leg injuries and anyone that watches tape from this season and compares it to previous tape will see the massive difference in athleticism. Maybe some of it will come back after another offseason of rehabbing/strength training, but that's no guarantee.

A shooter as good as Damari will always have a place on a team, so I'm sure he's going to get a ton of offers. But I think he's going to be disappointed that most of the high major offers are to be a 7th/8th man who is just a shooter off the bench. And offers like that sure as hell aren't dropping a huge NIL bag.

referring to Damari as Mercurial feels harsh
Sorry you feel that way. I'm curious if that's opinion of many other posters? (have seen @SC DEAC post)

He's a fantastic shooter and played a role in some of Wake's biggest wins of the last 3 years. He's also someone who went from playing a role off the bench this year to not even coming with the team to the ACC tournament -- in which WF played a game it needed to win, and he theoretically could've helped.

That seems to fit the definition of mercurial.

Sorry you feel that way. I'm curious if that's opinion of many other posters? (have seen @SC DEAC post)

He's a fantastic shooter and played a role in some of Wake's biggest wins of the last 3 years. He's also someone who went from playing a role off the bench this year to not even coming with the team to the ACC tournament -- in which WF played a game it needed to win, and he theoretically could've helped.

if you choose to define him by the last 2-3 weeks of his career

Ok Marsh’s dad. He’s terrible. He has hands of stone, never boxes out effectively, can’t pass or dribble, and can’t defend. He’s got the body of a heavyweight champ and the fight of a mouse. I do not support him having a basketball scholarship.
Ya unfortunately Marsh is just very unskilled at basketball despite having a body most people would judge as perfectly ideal for basketball. I tend to agree with people saying as a third 5 option he is solid, simply because of his size and I do agree he improved a bit defensively and rebounding-wise to close the season. I'd guess that it is in his best interest to stay for his senior year and finish up his time in CBB at Wake too. Sadly, if you posted him up against our walk-ons 50 times, I really don't believe that he would be able to score with a post move more often than not, never mind against a legitimate ACC center.

If you could choose 2 of the following 5 to return who would they be.

Marsh, Keller, Marion, Clark, Canka

Mine would be Keller and Marion.

Liked the article, and the term mercurial fit Dimari's time at WF just amazing peaks and valleys for him.

Wish Damari well, he is one of my all-time favorite Deacs. Regardless of where he lands, would love for him to fully recover and have a stellar 2025 season.

I wanted to make sure I didn't have the wrong definition of mercurial so I went and looked it up in a dictionary. Damari's picture is the first definition given, so I think it's a fair use of the term.

Back