• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Expectations for next year:

Bring back Sallis or a replacement who can contend for All-ACC
Land KJ or a high-end rotation player who can compete for a starting job

Accomplish at least 8 of the following, with overachievement required to offset any we fail to reach:

1. Finish KP top-30
2. Win 20+ games (probably more, depends on the schedule difficulty)
3. Win 12+ conference games
4. Lose 1 or 0 games in which we have a double-digit second-half lead
5. Be ranked in the top 25 two or more weeks over the course of the season
6. Be firmly projected in the NCAAT field entering the ACCT
7. Top 4 seed in the ACCT
8. Reach the ACCT semis
9. Do not lose to a lower-seeded team in the ACCT
10. Top 8 seed in the NCAAT
11. Reach at least the R32
12. Do not lose to a lower-seeded team in the NCAAT

For comparison, I would be happy with Clemson's season. They accomplished 1, 2, 4 (probably, I'm not going to look), 5, 6, 10, 11, and 12. They failed on 3, 7, 8, and 9, but offset that with 24 wins, a 6 seed, and, most important, an Elite Eight.

On the other hand, NC State accomplished 2, 4 (maybe), 8, 9, 11, and 12. They failed on 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 10. Obviously, they had massive overachievement in the ACCT and Final Four run, which made the season an unequivocal success, but would not give me a lot of confidence in our future.

If just one of Billew/Cosby/Juke is really good, we could have something. But you are talking about relying on two guys who barely played on good teams and one highly-ranked - not elite - freshman coming in blossoming into day one good ACC starters. Forbes pulled a rabbit with Alondes. Sallis and LaRavia had a bigger body of work than any of these guys, but Forbes obviously helped them find the next gear. Appleby as well to a lesser extent, but he had a solid CV.

Just looks sketchy, I think we need at least one more proven player to being to discuss this is Forbes' best offseason team. If Carr or Sallis was here, different story. And we don't have time to wait for guys to develop. We need to win the big games in Nov/Dec or its the exact same scenario as '22 or '24. Which makes trading Boopie/Carr for potential more lopsided even if they do have a higher ceiling. We need to see that immediately.

Kinda think the worst loss I’ve ever experienced was to Houston Baptist at home. But there were maybe 200 fans at the Joel, no students, a birthday party of kids screaming “YOU’RE EMBARRASSING,” and a rowdy Houston Baptist fan section. And we lost to one of the worst teams in college basketball. In overtime. The other ones are bad losses, but bad teams don’t even lose to Houston Baptist.

Runners up: Stetson, Delaware State, and Presbyterian

Those kind of losses are embarrassing but ultimately meaningless. I think that losses in the NCAA and ACCT are much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We might be underestimating Parkers development going into this year. Really excited to watch him
To this point:

Proven Effective:
Cam
Reid
Spillers

Needs to Develop, but with great potential:
Johnson
PFred
Abbas

Not enough tape at college level to know, yet - might just need the opportunity:
Juke
Omaha
Cosby

Needs more development to contribute:
MMM

Biggest needs:
  • Lead Guard (whether scoring or PG, we need THE GUY at guard)
  • Either another PG or a wing (can play the 2/3) depending on who THE GUY turns out to be
  • one trick 3-pointer shooter or another body at the 3/4 (this is the 13th scholarship - not really looking for much playing time, but taking a flyer on a microwave could work)

This is some pretty good stuff.

Direct link to blog post: Which Schools Get The Most Out Of Transfers

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fdfc006ec-ce8f-4a5e-9f57-d8fabe1f7c49_1908x2540.png
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd69616f1-7ecf-4cb7-8a70-bca97b191b8e_2034x2540.png

Wake is up there with teams who have actually made the tournament.

The Houston Baptist game was the first Wake basketball game for both of my kids. Ugh
were they the ones screaming THIS IS EMBARRASSING???

that was the closest to the floor that i've ever had the privilege of sitting at a Wake game

And up there with teams that have taken less than half as many transfers. Meaning that if you filter out the guys like Canka and Ituka, Wake would probably be at the top of this metric.
That's not a great way of looking at it. So you're telling me that the more transfers we take in, the more we increase our odds of having one or two good ones. I'd rather take less transfers and have those fewer transfers actually be good.

were they the ones screaming THIS IS EMBARRASSING???

that was the closest to the floor that i've ever had the privilege of sitting at a Wake game
I had front row seats right behind the Wake bench for the NIT game against Georgia this year. Really wish Sallis had not been hurt.

I like EvanMiya but how much stock are you putting on data that tells you Jake LaRavia has been Wake's best transfer?

That's not a great way of looking at it. So you're telling me that the more transfers we take in, the more we increase our odds of having one or two good ones. I'd rather take less transfers and have those fewer transfers actually be good.
I think it's more that the really good teams can afford to be selective with which transfers they take, because they only need to fill a few roster spots.

Wake always has tons of roster spots to fill, resulting in taking some transfers out of necessity that they may not really believe in. Canka last year is the prime example. Whether or not Wake took Canka to fill out their bench, they were still going to get Sallis and do great things with transforming him into an All ACC player.

I like EvanMiya but how much stock are you putting on data that tells you Jake LaRavia has been Wake's best transfer?
I mean he's the only one that's been drafted (so far). LaRavia performed the best in terms of advanced stats I imagine.

But yeah, Alondes and Sallis were both clearly more impactful players during their year at Wake

The one who was a first round pick and has played in 70 NBA games? Doesn't seem like much of stretch.

Back