• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I wonder if we could use the Pirates' gym for our new home arena. Looks like the size is just right! And sponsored by the United Dairymen of Iowa - we could sell soft-serve!

Man I really thought that Sallis was going to kill it during the workouts. Just really surprised that his draft stock is falling, not rising. I thought his athleticism would shine through and figured he would also do well at the shooting drills. If he does come back, I think we would be in the conversation to start the year as a top 25 team.

Man I really thought that Sallis was going to kill it during the workouts. Just really surprised that his draft stock is falling, not rising. I thought his athleticism would shine through and figured he would also do well at the shooting drills. If he does come back, I think we would be in the conversation to start the year as a top 25 team.
really?

maybe it's confirmation bias at work here, but Sallis always felt like an "is who he is" type of guy that showcased it last year -- a good athlete, but not freakishly so; steady but not elite at any one thing

as opposed to someone like Jake LaRavia who was not the featured player in his one season, had a chance to move up from less attention than Hunter started with

not that I thought he'd fall, but didn't think he was going to move up to the mid-first or anything like Jake did

I tend to agree with Juice. Sallis was a wonderful college player last year, but nothing about his game screamed "NBA" to me. He's not that big, not that strong, and not the type of explosive athlete that you need to be a 180lb guard in the NBA. LaRavia, on the other hand, was 6'8 with a good handle and a three-point shot. That's the profile of an NBA player more than Sallis.

And to be clear, I would love to have Sallis back. He is a fantastic college player. Just not a sure-fire NBA one.

Sallis had some dunks that looked more athletic than his overall play. Looks like he didn't have any more in his bag to show at the combine.

My major concern with Sallis is his frame. He's really skinny for his size, as well as the role that you would expect him to play in the NBA. That will open up his game a bit for him, I think, because he'll be able to finish better around the basket.

Sallis is a great shot creator at the college-level, but he's going to have to pack some pounds on his frame and prove to scouts that he's an elite shooter before he's going in the first round imo

But if he has a second round grade in the Worst Draft in the History of the World (TM), why bother coming back to improve his stock in the BEST DRAFT EVARRRR!!!!

NIL also changes the calculus of coming back I would hope.

Let’s make it worth his while and hopefully he also helps himself. He never quite figured out how to be alpha dog in year one with us although he got close. Hope we can see him get all the way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm rarely a proponent of players coming back, but Sallis really could benefit from coming back. He'll start the year off as a known commodity, which will help him build a first round portfolio (as long as he takes a step next year)

He was first team All-ACC. There are concerns about his athleticism and he is what he is there. Other than trying to prove he can be a point guard (which he is not), what portfolio is there to build?

Don’t disagree that NIL has changed the calculation around returning, but it is hard for me to envision how he significantly improves his stock in a stronger draft.

Call me a cynic (and it seems we are in decent shape based on the social media tea leaves with Mom), but if Sallis does come back we better be ready for another program to potentially throw a hefty bag his way.

Call me a cynic (and it seems we are in decent shape based on the social media tea leaves with Mom), but if Sallis does come back we better be ready for another program to potentially throw a hefty bag his way.
Sallis didn't enter the portal. It's the NBA or Wake

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

speaking NBA only, I think the type of guy that should come is a guy like Bobi (last year) that could pick up some skills, increase his minutes, and gain some confidence

I don’t think Hunter is that type of player — i don’t think the extra year will do anything for his profile — again, I think he’s an “is who he is” guy

obviously a lot more variables than just NBA/not NBA

it does kinda bum me out that it's probably one or the other with Sallis + Kasparas

the idea of a KJ/Sallis/Cam/Bilieu/Efton starting lineup is just 🤤

Back