• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '21-'22 Roster Construction Thread: +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Thanks for posting. Hard to argue with any of that. He’s really been the linchpin of what we do on both ends of the floor.

I know Wake tracks deflections. I would be very interested to see how much our deflections have dropped once LaRavia went out. He is fantastic on defense.

I know Wake tracks deflections. I would be very interested to see how much our deflections have dropped once LaRavia went out. He is fantastic on defense.

Agreed, just great anticipation and understanding of the game.

The play of our transfers sure isn’t going to hurt Forbes when he hits the market in the future.

The play of our transfers sure isn’t going to hurt Forbes when he hits the market in the future.

You're saying that Forbes is going to look for a new job in the near future?

:cool: I know you were referring to the market for new players but I read it as Forbes enhancing his resume when he enters the job market.

I am probably just too lazy to go through all the threads and find the latest info on LaRavia. Can anyone update, if there is an update on his status. Mono, Covid, whatever?

ManMan has been incredible--he's an NBA player no doubt, and kudos to Forbes for giving him the chance. He put our team on his back and carried us the last few games. Other players have stepped up as well, of course. They all play hard. But we need to get LaRavia back for league play. There is only so much ManMan can do. That said, I love this team and if it takes time to get Jake back then we just have to pray he gets better as soon as he can. His health is more important than basketball but he is a player we need to have on the floor. When he is ready to play, we won't have close games against mediocre teams.

I am probably just too lazy to go through all the threads and find the latest info on LaRavia. Can anyone update, if there is an update on his status. Mono, Covid, whatever?

ManMan has been incredible--he's an NBA player no doubt, and kudos to Forbes for giving him the chance. He put our team on his back and carried us the last few games. Other players have stepped up as well, of course. They all play hard. But we need to get LaRavia back for league play. There is only so much ManMan can do. That said, I love this team and if it takes time to get Jake back then we just have to pray he gets better as soon as he can. His health is more important than basketball but he is a player we need to have on the floor. When he is ready to play, we won't have close games against mediocre teams.

Come on Stratt, engage dude, these guys are worth it. Contact tracing with no news since then so it may have involved a positive test or there is some speculation that he might have a vaccine exemption that changes his rules. sure hope not.

I like how in addition to carrying our team Alondes is now also breaking major stories on his Instagram Live feed.

The way these guys interact on Twitter it pretty clear they get along really well.

The way these guys interact on Twitter it pretty clear they get along really well.

Yeah there’s a pretty impressive level of chemistry on and off the court for a group of guys that’s been playing together for like 5 months.

The OOC schedule is now done: 11-1, including the VT win. Pretty good.

Deacs have 19 ACC regular season games left.

Currently, WF is projected to

- win easily against Pitt at LJVM, a 12 point win and beat BC by 8 at home (next game).
- lose easily at Duke: 13 points

The other 16 ACC games are all projected to be tight games: all 16 games are currently projected to be decided by a 7 point or less margin; for 10 of those games, the projected margin between the two teams is 4 or less. To date, WF is 3-0 in games decided in OT or by 3 or less. WF has the players that can take over and win close games, and love Forbes ability to guide WF late when the game is in doubt.

WF is now 1-0 in the ACC; if WF goes 2-1 in the Pitt and BC and at Duke games, WF would be 3-1 outside of the 16 "sweat" games. Feeling like winning 8 or more of those games is a reasonable expectation, assuming no major/long term injury or illness issues for the Deacs. That would put the Deacs in a solid spot to qualify for the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Would have never guessed we’d be discussing going to the tournament in year 2 after the Covid debacle last year, remaking the whole roster, inability to get recruits on campus, etc. Lots of work left to do but serious credit to Forbes and the team so far.

I just looked at Miles Lester's bio on the Wake athletic site, and was surprised to see that he saw action in almost every game including 5 starts as a freshman at Rice. Does anyone know if he was on scholarship at Rice? Just wondering what his and Wake's expectations were for him at the time he transferred in.

I just looked at Miles Lester's bio on the Wake athletic site, and was surprised to see that he saw action in almost every game including 5 starts as a freshman at Rice. Does anyone know if he was on scholarship at Rice? Just wondering what his and Wake's expectations were for him at the time he transferred in.

https://wfuogb.com/14738/sports/deacon-spotlight-miles-lester/

Here’s a good recent article about Lester’s journey. But yes, Lester was on scholarship at Rice and was a contributor as a freshman. He’s a step above most walk-ons. Similarly, JR Mathis was also a scholarship player at Navy before deciding to walk-on at Wake. The word was that the walk-ons regularly cooked the starters in practice the last couple of years. Doubt that’s the case this season haha.

Back