• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU left out of Big Four football article

deaconlite

Reaction score
This morning's edition of the local rag, "Winston-Salem Journal", has an article titled, "The Big Four's Best on Offense". The first line reads "A look at the best offensive players on the rosters of the North Carolina ACC football teams. The article then highlights five players, two from State, two from Duke, and one from UNC. We have never gotten much respect from the Journal, but this is ridiculous. Last time I checked, Wake was still one of the Big Four and was still in North Carolina, and still in the ACC. The writer is Brent Wilkerson-New, you may be inclined to send him an Email.

The writer is Brent Wilkerson-New, you may be inclined to send him an Email.

It's not surprising: he's writing broadly for BH papers, not just the Winston-Salem Journal specifically. He's catering to his audience.

We did get cursory coverage in his two most recent articles here and here.

The answer is to beat State and Duke, both of whom we get at BB&T to end the regular season.

" The Greensboro Daily (tarheels) News" prints many articles by Brant Wilkins-New -who I suspect is a UNC grad. When I complain about the lack of Wake coverage, I have been told that Brant covers the the triangle ACC schools. I remind them that WF is the only ACC triad school. The GDN routinely fails to send reporters to WS to cover contest or even print scores. The coverage of our baseball team was mostly absent. Occasionally, they reprint articles by Dan from the WSJ.

Last edited:
GDN had the original article "ACC Football Update" plastered on the front page of the sport section with a color picture of NC State's Jaylen Samuels. It was only players from triangle ACC schools. Phone 336.373.7062 or 800.553.6880, ext.7062. Does anyone want to call ?

This morning's edition of the local rag, "Winston-Salem Journal", has an article titled, "The Big Four's Best on Offense". The first line reads "A look at the best offensive players on the rosters of the North Carolina ACC football teams. The article then highlights five players, two from State, two from Duke, and one from UNC. We have never gotten much respect from the Journal, but this is ridiculous. Last time I checked, Wake was still one of the Big Four and was still in North Carolina, and still in the ACC. The writer is Brent Wilkerson-New, you may be inclined to send him an Email.

Oh my God, this is terrible! How can Brent Wilkerson-New slight us like that? I will not stand for this intentional bias!! And people wonder why newspapers are struggling! I have written emails to him and his boss, requesting he either be suspended or issue a retraction!! This will not be tolerated!! Thanks for bringing this to my attention deaconlite, and thanks for not including a link to the article or the guy's email address! Don't give him the clicks!!

" The Greensboro Daily (tarheels) News" prints many articles by Brant Wilkins-New -who I suspect is a UNC grad. When I complain about the lack of Wake coverage, I have been told that Brent covers the the triangle ACC schools. I remind them that WF is the only ACC triad school. The GDN routinely fails to send reporters to WS to cover contest or even print scores. The coverage of our baseball team was mostly absent. Occasionally, they reprint articles by Dan from the WSJ.

GDN had the original article "ACC Football Update" plastered on the front page of the sport section with a color picture of NC State's Jaylen Samuels. It was only players from triangle ACC schools. Phone 336.373.7062 or 800.553.6880, ext.7062. Does anyone want to call ?

Already entered both numbers into my speed dial!! Thank you!! Is Brant Wilkins-New the same fella as Brent-Wilkerson New? I just want to make sure I get his name right when I request that sanctions be levied against him!!

Already entered both numbers into my speed dial!! Thank you!! Is Brant Wilkins-New the same fella as Brent-Wilkerson New? I just want to make sure I get his name right when I request that sanctions be levied against him!!

Brant is correct.

When does Brant have an article on the removal of two championship banners at UNC and the worst punishment since SMU got the death penalty. How about the BiG Four's best cheaters.

" The Greensboro Daily (tarheels) News" prints many articles by Brant Wilkins

Greensboro & Winston-Salem papers have a working agreement and funny enough, Ed Hardin lives in Pfafftown but writes for G'Boro. Many do that now with the budget cuts and it will only get worse as circulation drops with 24 x 7 news, online news and fewer people wanting a morning paper [young folks just don't read the paper like us older folks!]. Winston-Salem market is from Forsyth County west to Boone with lots of readers being App State fans. Greensboro market does not have an ACC team but considers themselves more or a Triangle ACC market so they put far more Duke/State/UNC stuff in theirs. Just not many Deacon fans east of here that sell newspapers. We shall see how it goes for us later in August and during the football season as to our "local" coverage???

If there's no Wake, the news is Fake!
That's my take.

Oh my God, this is terrible! How can Brent Wilkerson-New slight us like that? I will not stand for this intentional bias!! And people wonder why newspapers are struggling! I have written emails to him and his boss, requesting he either be suspended or issue a retraction!! This will not be tolerated!! Thanks for bringing this to my attention deaconlite, and thanks for not including a link to the article or the guy's email address! Don't give him the clicks!!
Good parody. Pretty much eliminates Moonz by default

Local newspapers should make sure they fully cover the sports assets within their respective markets. The Journal finally got a better understanding of this basic business principle about ten years ago but it was a frustrating evolution. Wake Forest athletics have always been the number one draw in the WS area. Wake fills a lot of hotel rooms and restaurant seats in WS. The better Wake does; the better it goes for the local hospitality business. Civic pride and reputation rise when local teams do well. While there are Tarheel and Duke fans in WS, the overriding impact of the "hometown" program is much more dramatic for the local economy and, ergo, the hometown newspaper. (Btw, K-vegas, Lexington, Wilkesboro, Statesville, and Mt.Airy have good Deac fan bases.),

Brant went to UNC-Wilmington. He's also a good guy. I'm sure this wasn't done out of malice

Back