• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Men's Soccer Commits...

LOL.

Winning the ACC would be a huge accomplishment. UNC, UVa. and Maryland are all just as loaded as we are.

I admittedly don't follow soccer too closely, but from what I have seen it seems like winning the ACC is very nearly as big of a deal as winning a national championship.

Is there any particular reason that Gamble is wearing a Chelsea training kit in that photo? (I assume he just has exquisite taste, of course, but perhaps there is more to it than that.)

It's because the Deacon Shop doesn't sell WFU kits.

If they don't win a championship by the year after I graduate (I'm a frosh), I'm rioting.

If these guys meet their hype they shouldn't last long in college. Robinson in particular should be in DC or Europe very quickly. Doesn't look like any of the others are tied into MLS teams, so the homegrown angle won't be in play.

Yea, I think it was surprising that Robinson ever decided to come to college in the first place. IIRC, his mother wanted him to go, but who knows how long he'll stay.

These guys are tiny!
5'9" 145
5'7" 140
5'6" 118

Exactly what I was thinking. They need to beef up to compete physically on the national level. Good thing WF seems to have plenty of options. The practices should be extremely competitive, which is always good.

Exactly what I was thinking. They need to beef up to compete physically on the national level. Good thing WF seems to have plenty of options. The practices should be extremely competitive, which is always good.

That Lionel Messi guy really needs to beef up.

ETA: Robinson starts on the U-18 National Team so I'm sure he's ready to compete on this level.

Not the best year to tought Pep's methods. Nil-Nil draw to the skeleton of a club that is Villareal. Weak sauce.

That Lionel Messi guy really needs to beef up.

ETA: Robinson starts on the U-18 National Team so I'm sure he's ready to compete on this level.

Please never compare an 18 year old recruit going to college in the US to the best player in the world. If he was the next Messi he'd already be getting paid already, get real. looks like this is a fantastic class but lets not get crazy

Even at the college level though, some of our best players have been tiny. See, Austin de Luz.

Different players are successful using different tools. I assume that if a kid is the number one recruit in the country, he has tools that make him successful despite his small stature. I don't know how you can't be excited about this class.

Please never compare an 18 year old recruit going to college in the US to the best player in the world. If he was the next Messi he'd already be getting paid already, get real. looks like this is a fantastic class but lets not get crazy

Dude he's a soccer player not a running back. If a kid is starting on the U-18 national team he's ready to play at the highest level in college.

Dude he's a soccer player not a running back. If a kid is starting on the U-18 national team he's ready to play at the highest level in college.

Not necessarily. The 18s are pretty much the red-headed stepchild of youth national teams. Good players can be there, but it's not anywhere near the indicator or talent that the 17s or 20s are. There are endless examples of players who have been on that team that either flamed out in college or did nothing extraordinary.

Not saying any of these guys are locks to be a bust, just that every good program has had many youth national team guys underwhelm once at college.

Not the best year to tought Pep's methods. Nil-Nil draw to the skeleton of a club that is Villareal. Weak sauce.

yeah he's been awful, will have to fall back on those lousy 3 straight Ligas and 2 CL titles.

Not necessarily. The 18s are pretty much the red-headed stepchild of youth national teams. Good players can be there, but it's not anywhere near the indicator or talent that the 17s or 20s are. There are endless examples of players who have been on that team that either flamed out in college or did nothing extraordinary.

Not saying any of these guys are locks to be a bust, just that every good program has had many youth national team guys underwhelm once at college.
Didn't both of these guys (Gamble & Robinson) turn down Bradenton invitations?

Corben Bone - 5'9, 160.
Justin Moose - 5'7, 145.

And that was what they were when they left Wake - I don't even know how small they were when they got there. And those two ended up being OK!

Are these guys on full or partial schollies? I assume the top recruits are on a full ride.

Back