• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU money solicitation letter

Jeff Fatt

Reaction score
I get these fairly regularly, but the one I got yesterday really hit a new low. It's a 2 paragraph form letter sent to God knows how many people. The second sentence is:

"I am writing you today to ask for your of Wake Forest University with a gift to the Wake Forest Fund."

This sentence was also bolded to draw attention to it. Doesn't anyone proofread these? Not very impressive...

Got that letter with a stack of birthday cards....opened that one first and when I stuck my finger in the envelope and went to slide it down to open the side, the inner flap gave me a paper-cut under my fingernail...EXCRUCIATING

Eff that.

If you tell Wake not to send you solicitations they will stop. They are very good about respecting your wishes on that. My high school on the other hand....

I want Wake to stop calling me for donations, but I'm unwilling to answer the phone in order to tell them that. My fault, obviously.

I told them once that I will only donate once per calendar year, so even though they have a new fiscal year, they should not call me in November if I've already donated in May. Worked for a while but I've gotten telethon calls a couple times a week since Homecoming.

Until they take my Ex wife's name off of every piece of mail they send to the house I share with RDToy, I just throw them all in the trash.

(And yes, I have asked them on multiple occasions to make that change.)

1) it outsoucred to rjkarl?

2) maybe it's a madlib?
"I am writing you today to ask for your ________(noun) to Wake Forest University with a gift to the Wake Forest Fund."

I got a call RIGHT after I gave for my reunion year (not a huge amount, I'll admit, but something). I told the guy that I just gave online for the reunion numbers. He said "ok" and left it at that. I then got a thing in the mail saying that I'd pledged to give the amount that I JUST gave for the reunion AGAIN. WTF?

This is one of the reasons I am glad I married a fellow deacon they only call/solicit from Matt for our entire family so I don't have to deal with it.

The lesson as always: only open mail from Wake around homecoming, unless its the magazine.

I love (sarcasm) when I get a letter from Wake and then one from the Business School. The Business School always manages to mention that I give to Wake but not to them.

just throw that shit away if it bothers you so much

The last time somebody called I told them that I wasn't giving anything and not to call back until they had fired [Redacted].

The last time somebody called I told them that I wasn't giving anything and not to call back until they had fired [Redacted].

This is only acceptable if it was the Deacon Club. If it was any of the college funds then you're an asshole. Every time that I've been called, it's been by a student working the telethon. What the hell do you expect them to do about it?

This is only acceptable if it was the Deacon Club. If it was any of the college funds then you're an asshole. Every time that I've been called, it's been by a student working the telethon. What the hell do you expect them to do about it?

Plus, when I worked the Phonathon, we got paid for pledges. Not fair to the kid, though you don't really owe him/her anything.

I'd laugh, and then empathize.

I'd laugh, and then empathize.

Oh I'm sure that some would agree but that's still not the time/place for that sort of thing. You're more likely to make a difference by screaming on the corner than ranting to the telethon students.

If I were working the phone and someone gave me the [Redacted] line I'd say "fantastic so we've got you down for a thousand dollar contribution towards hiring the next coach in the event [Redacted] is fired, thanks for your foresight and meaningful contribution."

Wake has called me about 15 times in the last month soliciting donations, but I never answer because I recognize that 336-758-XXXX number. The fact that they try between 7 and 9pm is a dead giveaway. Pity, I'm usually at a bar at said time.

Back