• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU NFL Free Agent News

Doh! Went to the Draft Thread for Draft news. And the Camp to the Ravens thread for Camp news. Need brush up on my board etiquette.

At this point in your posting career you should only be starting threads late at night when you are wasted.

The idea that WF coaches intentionally set out to keep Harris from playing in the NFL is idiotic. A common way that coaches can enhance their resume' is to have a player that they recruited and coached drafted/signed to the NFL. The more players that sign NFL contracts the better the coach looks.

And one way to hurt future players' chances of hooking up with an NFL team, and particulalry UFA's, is to blow smoke and not be honest if one of your guys was a locker room problem, lazy, disiciplinary issues, reluctant to play with a minor injury, etc. And I don't know that any of that occured with Josh plus it was the outgoing coaching staff, but the coaching fraternity (both college and NFL) is a fairly well-connected and tightknit group, so I would fully expect a high degree of candor when those conversations occur.

I'll believe when I see it from a source other than Josh. Can't find it anywhere on twitter or any Dallas news source.

Last edited:
The Giants and the Pats used to have open tryouts for guys who fell through the cracks. You had to write them with you football resume ("I went to Penn St not the State Pen"). You would show up on a Saturday morning in shorts and cleats and give it your best. It was like the movie Invincible, about a Philly bartender who made the Eagles. If a scout asked Grobe, "Why did this guy sit for most of his last three years", what do you think Grobe would say?

Signing a FA deal and getting mini camp tryout are two different things I believe.

Yep. The FA deal news would be in an article in the Dallas Star or the Cowboys website. Dan Collins or the Duncanville, TX paper would publish the article about a mini camp tryout.

Undrafted FAs are mostly expected to make it to the preseason. I think the mini camp tryout is just for mini camp and maybe OTAs?

Yep. The FA deal news would be in an article in the Dallas Star or the Cowboys website. Dan Collins or the Duncanville, TX paper would publish the article about a mini camp tryout.

Undrafted FAs are mostly expected to make it to the preseason. I think the mini camp tryout is just for mini camp and maybe OTAs?

FWIW I emailed a Cowboys beat writer and he hadn't heard anything about Josh Harris.

Does he get paid to participate in mini camps?

Does he get paid to participate in mini camps?

I think so. It's just a weekend paycheck.

There are some local articles about other players getting Cowboys minicamp tryouts.

It looks like he really thought he was going to get drafted. Not sure why. I am a little surprised he wasn't picked up as an UFA though.

Just look at his twitter. Would you want to UFA that? Kids today don't realize crap like that prevents your getting hired.

Just look at his twitter. Would you want to UFA that? Kids today don't realize crap like that prevents your getting hired.

Agree completely. If there were any validity to a 4.28, then yes, but obviously that is not a legitimate 40 time.

Back