• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU vs UVA Baseball/ Battle Against ALS

TARDAWG

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
From the Facebook of my friend and fellow Deacon:

Join us tomorrow for the WFU vs UVA at 2:00pm Deacon field raising money and awareness for ALS!! Shirts on sale for $20. All proceeds go towards fighting ALS!!

10363566_10202226563049430_4911742546124207995_n.jpg

Can’t beat the weather, so get out and support the Deacs and help battle the horrible disease that took our OGB friend “Layup”.

I lost a close friend to this disease. It is worse than you can imagine if you haven't been around it. I was bothered by the jokes in "Ted" about it (and I otherwise love that movie) because anyone who has had a loved one die from it knows what a horror it is. Everything shuts down...slowly...except the mind...until the person is trapped in a body and can barely smile or whisper. But the mind is fully there..the person is fully aware. My buddy was on a respirator and was able to have it removed so he could pass on the date of his choosing. We went to say our goodbyes, tried to stay upbeat as the situation would allow, and then the next day they took him off the machine and he died in 20 minutes. He knew the date of his death for weeks before. He got closure with his wife and two young kids, but who wants to know the date of your expiration...the psychological impact would be incredible. He was a tough dude.

Lost my MIL two years ago (5/27) to ALS. She was diagnosed 2.5 years prior and went pretty quickly. I wouldn't wish ALS on my worst enemies.

Back