• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Not off the top of my head. I think there are probably a few that take a broad overview of the whole culture, but I don't know about something that addressed the music specifically. Maybe I'll check and see if anything jumps out.
Thanks, man! I figure this is at least adjacent to your expertise so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks, man! I figure this is at least adjacent to your expertise so I thought I'd ask.
Yeah, I mean, I think low rider culture could definitely qualify as a folk tradition of sorts, it's interesting to think about how that might be reflected in all sorts of things, even if it's what tunes they were spinning.

Just stumbled on this -- bio says "currently working on a book," so maybe something to keep an eye out for.

I like the prompt for this playlist. "Bryan at his most drugged, drowsy and dreamlike. Do not listen whilst driving or operating heavy machinery." Swear I get like half of the things I listen to from this guy Andrew Male, though -- simpatico.

Great pick. My HS band covered this a ton
I listened to a ton of Catch 22 and Streetlight in HS, although I much prefer the original Catch 22 Keasbey Nights over the re-recorded Streetlight version. This album and Bouncing Souls were my intro to the New Brunswick scene.

I listened to a ton of Catch 22 and Streetlight in HS, although I much prefer the original Catch 22 Keasbey Nights over the re-recorded Streetlight version. This album and Bouncing Souls were my intro to the New Brunswick scene.

You’ve sent me down a nostalgic rabbit hole, thank you. 90s/00s punk was so good

Next Saturday night at the crown upstairs of the Carolina Theatre Charlie Hunter Bobby Previte Sam Fribush and friends. This is going to be really good.

Not too many pictures of these cats out there together from around this time, and barely any on English language sites, so was stoked that Marcio Borges posted something to his instagram this weekend that led me to look a little more.

1696946200065.png

The Borges bros (Lô standing with guitar, Marcio second from right) with the legend, Milton Nascimento and, I think, Fernando Brant based on the pic below. Clube da Esquina. Sometimes you just need to remind yourself that stuff like this exists in our otherwise miserable, violent world.

The universe is feeling this -- it apparently would have been Fernando Brant's birthday yesterday according to Nascimento's page.

1696947786832.png

Last edited:
caught Houndmouth last week, seemed like a mostly new lineup and ngl it took them a few songs, but the jams still slap, new stuff better than I thought and a fun show

I was also mesmerized by the fact that Cats Cradle is virtually the same as it was when I was a teen

I’m not super into these guys or anything, but I’ve thought they always had good vibes and I bet it’s a good show. They played here two nights ago as part of a three night NC run, but I only realized that today. I prob would not have made it, because that’s just how I roll these days, but I would have bought a ticket, maybe.

Anyway, at the Grey Eagle in Asheville tonight, if any of you Asheville dudes are interested.

Last edited:
If your spouse came home and said tonight is an REM kinda night, how would you interpret that?
How did it go? I guess my interpretation would depend on which era. Even then, I don’t know.

An aside, if you’re ever dating a woman who one night just wants to lie down and listen to the Cure’s Disintegration, it is prob not correct to interpret that as a good sign, but REM? Probably totally fine.

How did it go? I guess my interpretation would depend on which era. Even then, I don’t know.

An aside, if you’re ever dating a woman who one night just wants to lie down and listen to the Cure’s Disintegration, it is prob not correct to interpret that as a good sign, but REM? Probably totally fine.
Unless there is some secret meaning behind what’s the Frequency Kenneth, it was chill.

Back