• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What chain restaurants don't suck?

I know I'm going to get blasted on this one but my 5 year old wanted to go to Red Lobster for his birthday tonight and it was pretty good.

Never heard of Cook-Out. 5 guys and Bojangles are too greasy for me these days. Panera, Chipotle and Einstein are okay. Those are the only 1s I've been to in years.

WHAT.THE.FUCK.

I have never been so close to banning someone that wasn't just a bot. On the other hand, I also feel really bad for you.

Only been once, but the best chain I have eaten at was probably J. Alexander's (ate at the Dunwoody location, but it seems there are 33 of them scattered randomly throughout the country).

Pei Wei is fairly solid.
Chipotle
Bo's
ChicFilA
Carraba's

Someone should start a thread on worst chain restaurants.
I think the biggest hit or miss is Olive Garden. I've eaten at some that were 5 stars, and some that were really, really subpar.

I think the biggest hit or miss is Olive Garden. I've eaten at some that were 5 stars

1783955-joker_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I think 5 Guys is overrated.

Carrabba's is way better than your generic Italian chain restaurant.

not sure it counts as a chain, as they only have a select few locations, but Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery is pretty incredible. Definitely go if you're in NYC, Vegas, Napa or LA.

not sure it counts as a chain, as they only have a select few locations, but Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery is pretty incredible. Definitely go if you're in NYC, Vegas, Napa or LA.

i wondered about this myself: where are we drawing the line for "chain"? does having multiple locations automatically qualify something as a chain? some of the places listed on here are not what i would consider a chain, but they do have more than one location, often across a couple of cities.

I would say a chain is something found in most states. Not three or four cities.

i'd say if it's the same restaurant/menu in each city it's a chain.

Yes, I agree. But for this discussion, lots of places are being thrown out that aren't easily accessible to most folks. That's why I added the state stipulation.

so would you not consider, say, Cook Out, a chain? All over NC, but has a few select locations in other states?

I would say a chain is something found in most states. Not three or four cities.

then i feel like this eliminates quite a few of the places listed. or have village tavern and del friscos opened up a lot of new locations that i didn't know about?

I think that they criteria should be 15 or more locations. That's what NYC used to define a chain when they started to require all chain restaurants to post their nutritional information on menus.

edited to add: Upon further reflection, Nobu is the best chain. Just checked the website and they have 24 locations, so definitely a chain.

Last edited:
Back