• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What do makes you content from WFU Athletics?

awakegirl

Reaction score
What makes you satisfied with Wake athletics and when did you graduate? What needs to happen?

On my end:
Basketball: in the tourney at the bottom rung of the ladder. Happy at an elite 8.
Football: Winning conference records.
Baseball: Omaha
WBB: field of 64

What else does it for you/do you care about?

ETA; graduated 2003. Arguably the height of the totality of Wake sports.

Last edited:
Graduated in 2012

Basketball: I mean at this point just making the tournament would make me happy
Football: make a bowl game each year and once a decade or so be in the mix for a conference title (maybe unrealistic in expanded conference era but who knows)
Baseball: now making Omaha - before last year just making the tournament
Soccer: College Cup

Mostly I just enjoy being able to watch Wake play and talk about it with friends. If we happen to be consistently performing well across a season while I do that it's gravy on top

FB not being a laughingstock like today.

Recruiting basketball players who can play immediately.

Avoiding agents who wear hoodies to work.

Golf, soccer, tennis and field hockey best in nation.

Baseball Omaha.

Last edited:
'03

MBB: 2/3 years NCAAT participation, Happy = Saturday+ in ACCT, Sweet 16
FB: Bowl game, Happy = every 6 - 8 years ACCCG contention
BB: Playoffs annually, Happy = Omaha every 3 yrs (I know)
WBB: NCAAT
MSoc: NCAAT, Happy = ACCChamp + Natty
M+W Golf: Natties

This do what makes me content.

Basketball - make the tournament, compete for ACC championships. About ready to lower expectations here.
Football - .500 (or better) conference record, competitive record against Duke/UNC/State.
Baseball - Omaha? Maybe more given talent now.
M. Soccer - consistent deep runs in College Cup
M. Golf - Regionals, compete for ACC championships
Cross Country/Track/Tennis - don't follow closely enough to know what to expect

the best we can do is do our best

after years of disappointments as a yout, i’ve become a lot better at appreciating the good and shrugging off the bad stuff
Living up to your name!

Staying in a major conference and not being a doormat (across sports) and I’m content going forward. Higher bar for happy.

Class of ‘01 (post Duncan Odom years, Caldwell in FB (although we did get the Aloha Bowl Junior year)). The

I don’t know if content is the right word (because I don’t think I would be content with anything less than championships and final fours, etc. because if we’re in a position to get those I feel like there’s always a way we could’ve done a little bit better), but here’s the floor of what I need to see to not be frustrated with a season:

Football: 7-8 wins + competitive in the bowl game
Bball: tournament (not play-in unless we make sweet 16)
WBB - tournament
Baseball: super regional
Soccer: semi-finals

Other spots - I am probably not knowledgeable enough to set a baseline for myself. I like it when we do well, but I’m probably not invested enough to feel frustration when we don’t live up to a standard.

Class of ‘01 (post Duncan Odom years, Caldwell in FB (although we did get the Aloha Bowl Junior year)). The

I don’t know if content is the right word (because I don’t think I would be content with anything less than championships and final fours, etc. because if we’re in a position to get those I feel like there’s always a way we could’ve done a little bit better), but here’s the floor of what I need to see to not be frustrated with a season:

Football: 7-8 wins + competitive in the bowl game
Bball: tournament (not play-in unless we make sweet 16)
WBB - tournament
Baseball: super regional
Soccer: semi-finals

Other spots - I am probably not knowledgeable enough to set a baseline for myself. I like it when we do well, but I’m probably not invested enough to feel frustration when we don’t live up to a standard.
This is pretty identical to mine.

Basketball: sweet 16
Football: NYD bowl game or whatever the equivalent is now.
Soccer: college Cup

You play to win championships or challenge for them. Anything less than challenging for championships is disappointing to me

Being relevant would make me content. I am an unhappy WFU basketball fan. Hope my frown turns soon. But starting to feel like a beaten dog at this point.

What makes you satisfied with Wake athletics and when did you graduate? What needs to happen?

On my end:
Basketball: in the tourney at the bottom rung of the ladder. Happy at an elite 8.
Football: Winning conference records.
WBB: field of 64
What else does it for you/do you care about?

ETA; graduated 2003. Arguably the height of the totality of Wake sports.
So you have only been satisfied with football 4 times in the last 20 years?

This is pretty identical to mine.
'99

BB will never be as exciting to me as it was then because we don't have Duncan and I'm not 20 anymore. That said, Sweet 16 / annual bowl game should be the bare minimum, the "we give a shit but we just didn't get there this time" result. What makes me most content lately is seeing other sports drive recognition for Wake, even if it's the 'other stuff'.

Back