• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What happened when W rolled out the RX plan?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Hmmm......
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10/24/2828261/hearing-post/

"This sounds like the familiar story of the last few days of the Obama administration’s rollout of the exchanges. But, actually, those quotes, and that scenario, are taken from the Bush administration’s efforts to implement the Medicare prescription drug benefit in 2005 and 2006.

Not only was Bush’s rollout “anything but smooth,” but administration officials had “some trouble getting the [online] tool up and running” and had to delay its debut for weeks. What’s more, computer glitches caused low-income beneficiaries to go without needed medications and sent pharmacies the wrong drug information. Before it was all resolved, Dr. Mark McClellan, Bush’s head of the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), appeared at hearings before the House Committee On Energy And Commerce, laying out the flaws in the law’s implementation and detailing how the administration would address them."

Many of the same Republicans who want to stop ACA and say this is horrible (it isn't good) and unacceptable were bending over backwards to tell everyone to the RX plan a chance, more time and we should be understanding of W and his plan.

Hmmmm.........what's the word for people like this?

Didn't say that at all....nothing I said was about him. It's about the Republicans in Congress.

So there is precedent for a Presidential administration screwing up a rollout of an online health care interface, and this jackwagon crew still managed to botch it despite having that history to learn from? Fucking morans.

Maybe our next AD will go hire Dave Bliss.

Part D wasn't perfect but it was much better than the ACA at this point in the game. Actually, you really can't compare the two. The web portal wasn't the foundation for Part D like it is for this program. There was auto enroll of dual eligibles which is very different than the opt in we have here. Just so very different.

Plus, a lot of people were enrolled in the beginning.

I'm sure rj was as supportive of the Bush administration during the Rx problems as he is on the ACA problems. After-all, these are programs that help people.

So there is precedent for a Presidential administration screwing up a rollout of an online health care interface, and this jackwagon crew still managed to botch it despite having that history to learn from? Fucking morans.

Maybe our next AD will go hire Dave Bliss.

The same thing happened with Medicare and Social Security.

It happened to Apple.

That's just how the world works when you do a massive project. If you don't expect fuck ups, then you are a moron.

That's why it was started 3 months before coverage could be bought and six months before the end date.

I'm sure rj was as supportive of the Bush administration during the Rx problems as he is on the ACA problems. After-all, these are programs that help people.

I openly and still support W on his HIV/AIDS initiatives in Africa.

I openly and still support his immigration plan. If the GOP had listened to W, they would't have lost the Hispanic vote by about 40%.

What I opposed in the RX bill was that it was totally un-American. It banned the federal government from negotiating better prices for the drugs. This cost the government tens of billions of dollars.

It's a position that anyone with a brain would agree with.

Last edited:
One way you can compare the two programs is that they're both "entitlements," although you never hear the GOP flipping out about prescription drugs for seniors as government bloat even though it came on their watch, and Democrats won't touch it because old people vote.

Maybe we should talk about drug benefits the next time we're talking about the debt ceiling? Any takers, Tea Party?

Facebook had been around for one year in 2005. Technology has advanced quite a bit since the Rx launch.
Hiding behind Bush won't work on this one.

No one is "hiding" behind Bush. i also brought up Medicare, Social Security, Apple and others. This should have been better, but problems were to be expected.

The two biggest problems were caused by John Roberts and Republican governors. When Roberts gave states the option to get out of the Medicaid expansion and the exchanges, he created many of the problems. Yahoo Republican governors, who hate Obama and would rather see millions of their citizens not have healthcare if it can make Obama look bad, are also responsible.

This does not absolve those who put the system together. They needed to do a better job, but to think this wasn't going naivete' combined with hating Obama.

I realize the lazy here see it as "blaming Bush", but that is not what I did. I showed how the same has happened to W, LBJ, FDR and major corporations. But to aocs , 2&2 and others took the easy and lazy way out. I'm not totally shocked.

Yeah this is a pretty typical partisan conversation... everyone tries to discredit the other side instead of engaging in conversation.

Yeah this is a pretty typical partisan conversation... everyone tries to discredit the other side instead of engaging in conversation.

Welcome to the OGBoards. You must be new around here. Let me show you around.

My OP was to show that the people bitching about it were the same ones begging to give the RX program a change work out its kinks.

My other position is that major headaches were inevitable. This does not excuse not having it closer to being operational, but the reality there were going to be problems.

Hmmm......
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10/24/2828261/hearing-post/

"This sounds like the familiar story of the last few days of the Obama administration’s rollout of the exchanges. But, actually, those quotes, and that scenario, are taken from the Bush administration’s efforts to implement the Medicare prescription drug benefit in 2005 and 2006.

Not only was Bush’s rollout “anything but smooth,” but administration officials had “some trouble getting the [online] tool up and running” and had to delay its debut for weeks. What’s more, computer glitches caused low-income beneficiaries to go without needed medications and sent pharmacies the wrong drug information. Before it was all resolved, Dr. Mark McClellan, Bush’s head of the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), appeared at hearings before the House Committee On Energy And Commerce, laying out the flaws in the law’s implementation and detailing how the administration would address them."

Many of the same Republicans who want to stop ACA and say this is horrible (it isn't good) and unacceptable were bending over backwards to tell everyone to the RX plan a chance, more time and we should be understanding of W and his plan.

Hmmmm.........what's the word for people like this?

94UGw.gif

Back