• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What. Is. That.?!?

Shooshmoo

Reaction score
5dyWk4B.jpg

Apparently a Sea Lamprey, unsurprisingly found in NJ. Also known as the scariest fucking thing ever.

A dick that bites? F ME

I love that when you google image search "lamprey", you get all of these horrific pictures of this evil satan's spawn interspersed with nice, friendly pictures of this guy:

ZaneLamprey_barcu-289x300.jpg

I miss that guy, and that show.

A lot of new research is being conducted using Lampreys because they have an adaptive immune system that is evolutionarily divergent from ours. They produce antibody like molecules that could be used for cancer treatment, autoimmunity, etc... The person I know that works on it was using the larvae form of the lamprey but has started getting into the adults like what is pictures (obviously not that big though). They use to have a guy up in northern New York that was a teacher and during the summer he would go out an collect all the lamprey that they needed for the year using a shock stick in the rivers, he was retiring from it though and it was getting harder because of the protections that were being put in place to eliminate the lamprey. They were offering 10 dollars a lamprey and this guy was netting 50,000 or so over the summer to collect these things.

That picture on the OP is a weird perspective that makes it look a lot bigger than they are in real life. They're about the size of the pic with it on the guys forehead.

That picture on the OP is a weird perspective that makes it look a lot bigger than they are in real life. They're about the size of the pic with it on the guys forehead.

I don't think it's a weird perspective, I think it's a Chernobyl lamprey, and I think we're all going to die.

Back