• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the lowest point we are willing to accept in our society?

vadimivich

Reaction score
I put a short version of this in the drug testing thread, but thought it's definitely worth having a real discussion about. The entire concept around safety nets, personal responsibility, social benefits, etc ... it has to be anchored in something: "What is the lowest point a fellow human in our society can reach that we accept?". Take the biggest fuck up possible, someone with no personal responsibility at all, someone who literally goes out of their way to harm their own advancement in every way possible. How far are we willing to let them fall? Do we let them live without a home? Do we let them starve? Do we let them die from easily treatable illnesses? What happens to the children they might have (through more bad choices of their own, which obviously the children have no say in)?

To some extent it's simple: there has to be a basic safety net that you cannot be failed out of (i.e - an absolute floor that is not "earned" in any way) OR you have to be ok with people in our modern society dying of malnutrition, exposure, etc. Not everyone will make good choices, it's simply not possible for that to be the case.

We need to agree as a society what that floor is, and we need to have a real discussion about it. This has to be something we agree on together, and there cannot be resentment that it exists (in fact, just making it a conversation will help with the resentment). It's something we should take pride in, as a mark of how advanced we are as a civilization.

Personally? I think everyone who is a non-criminal member of our society should have reliable access to a warm, safe, clean, covered place to sleep, running water, electricity, reliable food and access to necessary health care including sanitary products / basic self care items / birth control. Children should have access to education (K-12 minimum) including food and access to teachers / tutors / after hours activities if needed to make up for completely failed parents. These benefits should be non-revocable as long someone is not a criminal (and in fact are the same things a criminal would receive if they were jailed). And we have to accept that there are some in our society (a small %, but some) who are never going to aspire to anything more than this and are just "failures". We cannot pretend or be angry about that fact.

When people starve to death it acts as a deterrent for others. These lazy people on welfare would go out and get jobs if they weren't getting a safety net from the government and maybe seeing a few people die will encourage them to drop the charade and go get a real job like most Americans.

When people starve to death it acts as a deterrent for others. These lazy people on welfare would go out and get jobs if they weren't getting a safety net from the government and maybe seeing a few people die will encourage them to drop the charade and go get a real job like most Americans.

You left out having them sterilized.

The basic necessities for a non-criminal equivalent to a criminal should be the absolute lowest level we go. It seems most people (conservatives) have no problem with the industrial prison complex and spending billions of dollars to incarcerate people. This incarceration then includes shelter, food, healthcare. Then providing these same basic needs to someone that is a non-criminal is some horrible charity.

wow, and they call the GOP the Christian group (what a crock of shit). is that your victory cry "let them die, then they will learn!"

Just curious- do you believe in God? I am asking seriously.

The basic necessities for a non-criminal equivalent to a criminal should be the absolute lowest level we go. It seems most people (conservatives) have no problem with the industrial prison complex and spending billions of dollars to incarcerate people. This incarceration then includes shelter, food, healthcare. Then providing these same basic needs to someone that is a non-criminal is some horrible charity.

And it costs far less to have better education, invest in opportunities for the poor and working poor, feed, house and give medical services to lower end of the economic ladder than to incarcerate them.

I think he's trying to portray what certain members of our society would allow a low point.

that was my first thought, but it is hard to tell some times with such a callous post.

That's not my personal opinion and no I don't believe in God.

My actual views on this topic are very close to Vad's.

That's not my personal opinion and no I don't believe in God.

My actual views on this topic are very close to Vad's.

k- sorry- my sarcasm radar was off. I think this topic cuts to the heart of the matter so I hope this can be a good discussion without degenerating into poo flinging.

I put a short version of this in the drug testing thread, but thought it's definitely worth having a real discussion about. The entire concept around safety nets, personal responsibility, social benefits, etc ... it has to be anchored in something: "What is the lowest point a fellow human in our society can reach that we accept?". Take the biggest fuck up possible, someone with no personal responsibility at all, someone who literally goes out of their way to harm their own advancement in every way possible. How far are we willing to let them fall? Do we let them live without a home? Do we let them starve? Do we let them die from easily treatable illnesses? What happens to the children they might have (through more bad choices of their own, which obviously the children have no say in)?

To some extent it's simple: there has to be a basic safety net that you cannot be failed out of (i.e - an absolute floor that is not "earned" in any way) OR you have to be ok with people in our modern society dying of malnutrition, exposure, etc. Not everyone will make good choices, it's simply not possible for that to be the case.

We need to agree as a society what that floor is, and we need to have a real discussion about it. This has to be something we agree on together, and there cannot be resentment that it exists (in fact, just making it a conversation will help with the resentment). It's something we should take pride in, as a mark of how advanced we are as a civilization.

Personally? I think everyone who is a non-criminal member of our society should have reliable access to a warm, safe, clean, covered place to sleep, running water, electricity, reliable food and access to necessary health care including sanitary products / basic self care items / birth control. Children should have access to education (K-12 minimum) including food and access to teachers / tutors / after hours activities if needed to make up for completely failed parents. These benefits should be non-revocable as long someone is not a criminal (and in fact are the same things a criminal would receive if they were jailed). And we have to accept that there are some in our society (a small %, but some) who are never going to aspire to anything more than this and are just "failures". We cannot pretend or be angry about that fact.

To me this is the absolute crux of the matter. I fear there are too few that have empathy in this country for this group.

k- sorry- my sarcasm radar was off. I think this topic cuts to the heart of the matter so I hope this can be a good discussion without degenerating into poo flinging.

I was carrying over some of the style from the responses from the right in the welfare/drug testing thread - it was fresh on my mind.

I like how Vad tried to have a substantive discussion and it only took 14 posts for someone to post an Alvin and the Chipmunks video.

Kory. I assume moon did that. He has never had any interest in being substantive. Why would you expect him to change now?

Back